Who is using the HD100 for weddings? - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old July 25th, 2006, 02:29 PM   #31
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Terpstra
Jonathan,

Actually for me the whole point of shooting it HD is to avoid the 4:1:1 compression of DV (which is further compressed by putting it onto a 4:2:0 DVD, leaving you with 4:1:0). They look fine on SD CRT's, but on an HDTV, the compression is magnified. I'm aiming for a higher end client base who would be likely to have the latest & greatest TV's.

Secondly, as mentioned previously in this thread, it is to generate potential busniess down the road by having HD masters of all the weddings ready to be burned onto HD-DVD or BluRay when the clients are ready to "upgrade."

If you want to edit in SD, I suggest shooting it that way because the potential for bad dropouts increases in HD (in that the dropouts are usually more severe than they would be IF they happen). Also your slow-motion will be better from 60i (lower resolution, but smoother). For slow-mo I'm probably going to get something like Twixtor or whatever FCP filter I can find that does tweening for in-between frames. Perhaps the next FCP version will have "Optical Flow" included in it???

Anyway, thanks for your comments on the site. I just redid it. As for down-conversion on capture, I'm surprised the HD110 does not list this as a new feature. The Sony FX1/Z1U has always been able to do this... Oh, well. Maybe the HD200 will implement that.
Sounds good to me. It really is a tragedy they didnt include downconversion on the hd100/hd110. That would have been neat!

What method do you use to archive the edited HD masters to be used later?
Jonathan Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2006, 03:18 PM   #32
Major Player

Though I haven't done it yet for an HD wedding, you should be able to print back the final program to tape using your camera (or deck) and FCP or MPEGStreamclip.

Alternatively I know someone who buys internal hard drives and enclosures and stores final projects on those (since internal drives are pretty cheap these days). He then swaps out the internal drive from the enclosure when it gets full and labels it or something, and then put a new one in. It's not a terrible idea since ProHD tapes are about $9 each and a 300GB drive could hold about 30 hours of HDV 720p footage (and is only $115): http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...&Sku=TSD-320AS
Chad Terpstra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2006, 03:52 PM   #33
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Terpstra
Though I haven't done it yet for an HD wedding, you should be able to print back the final program to tape using your camera (or deck) and FCP or MPEGStreamclip.

Alternatively I know someone who buys internal hard drives and enclosures and stores final projects on those (since internal drives are pretty cheap these days). He then swaps out the internal drive from the enclosure when it gets full and labels it or something, and then put a new one in. It's not a terrible idea since ProHD tapes are about $9 each and a 300GB drive could hold about 30 hours of HDV 720p footage (and is only $115): http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...&Sku=TSD-320AS
Wow, thanx for the tips.

That is not a bad idea at all. I am guessing you could put somewhere around 15 full edited wedding videos on one of those hardrives.

Printing back to tape would be the most reliable method. That would suck if the hardrive died or failed to mount. It has happend to me in the past and I have resorted to a raid 5 system.

Would there be any substantial quality loss from printing the edited master back to tape?
Jonathan Nelson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems