Red frames??? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Closed Thread

Old July 23rd, 2006, 09:18 PM   #1
Major Player

Red frames???

I've been reading a few posts on this forum compaining of intermittent red frames recorded by the HD100. What are these? How long do they last? Are they visible in the viewfinder while you're recording? Has JVC responded to this and explained what is causing them?
Old July 23rd, 2006, 09:20 PM   #2
Capt. Quirk

They seem to run 6 to 9 frames. I've been told it is a CCD issue, but nothing more specific. I never noticed anything until playback.
Old July 23rd, 2006, 09:22 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Forman
They seem to run 6 to 9 frames. I've been told it is a CCD issue, but nothing more specific. I never noticed anything until playback.
How frequent are they? Can JVC fix it? I assume it's only in HDV, as opposed to 480i?
Old July 23rd, 2006, 10:41 PM   #4
Capt. Quirk

The answer to those questions are- I don't know. I have at least 3 or 4 of them on the one tape I shot.
Old July 24th, 2006, 01:37 AM   #5
New Boot

I've had them on every tape I've shot. They really throw things off but its not only in HDV modes, it also occurs in SD modes as well. I've actually induced it to happen more often in Sd mode than HDV mode but mostly within 30 minutes of switching from HDV to SD.
Old July 24th, 2006, 03:16 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Edmunds
I've been reading a few posts on this forum compaining of intermittent red frames recorded by the HD100. What are these? How long do they last? Are they visible in the viewfinder while you're recording? Has JVC responded to this and explained what is causing them?
Bill,

Panic not. There are approx 12000+ HD100's sold - there is only a couple of posts regarding this on this forum. That is a very low percentage. Not really a major issue. Same with frame/tape drop-out issues.

Andrew
Old July 24th, 2006, 07:03 AM   #7
Major Player

I'm no engineer (but that doesn't stop from me pontificating like I am) but if there was an inherent flaw in the design that caused the red (which I got, as well as green flashes) I'd think it would come to the surface already.

I know Keith is one person who got a replacement - Keith did you get the replacement camera yet? Any chance to test for the problem?
Old July 24th, 2006, 08:00 AM   #8
Capt. Quirk

I'm still waiting. It should be here within the next few days, and I'll check it out thorughly.

As far as the actual percentage of the 12,000 units shipped having this issue? Only one is really important, and that is the one you are using to capture one time events with. If the footage is ruined, it is a huge issue. In my case, it was just vacation footage. If I were charging a client to shoot their wedding, or doing a conference, or whatever it might be... how do you replace that tape? I don't care what the cause is, whether it is the tape JVC made for the HD series or the camera itself, JVC can't reproduce that moment, and they certainly won't reimburse you for money you lose.
Old July 24th, 2006, 08:04 AM   #9
Major Player

Has JVC issues any kind of statement regarding these issues?

Does the red frames issue crop up right away, or have there been instances of using the camera several times without a problem and then WHAM?
Old July 24th, 2006, 08:07 AM   #10
Regular Crew

I say panic all you can. $6,000 isn't cheap. So when it comes down to making such an investment I would panic, unfortunately I got mine a few days ago and I haven't seen any flaw yet other than the "mode changing"(knocking on wood as I speak). But i'll leave this for JVC to worry about. Hopefully I can have a very crummy month with this thing, just to get the worries over with and my warranty's worth. Speaking of that. Has anyone bought the 4 yr mack warranty?
Old July 24th, 2006, 08:45 AM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Edmunds
Does the red frames issue crop up right away, or have there been instances of using the camera several times without a problem and then WHAM?
I used it without an issue. Have about 45 minutes of basketball with no problem.

But then it seemed more and more prevalent, and when I tested in indoors conditions, with different tapes, I couldn't get 10 minutes of footage without a problem. I couldn't find a pattern.

Quite sad, since the footage when unspoiled was spectacular.
Old July 24th, 2006, 11:06 AM   #12
Major Player

I have never seen or heard of the Red Frame issue until now.
Old July 25th, 2006, 03:40 PM   #13
Wrangler

I'm temporarily locking this thread to control cross-posting.

Please post responses here: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?p=517547

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems