Finished ProHD Projects - Page 6 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old July 10th, 2007, 05:12 AM   #76
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Hart View Post
David.

I would have to ask the director those technical questions. The DoP was Jim Frater. The carousel turns continuously through 360 degrees as you suggested.

For the Father Christmas street thief being chased by the mediaval knights, they had an about 1500w focussed light running off a generator adding daylight fill.

I think Jim kept things pretty standard on the camera settings and adjustments were made in post.

The carousel actually gave them a bit of grief. It was ordered in from the US and ran on americapower 115v, so there had to be a transformer in the mix, then the fitting on top of the carousel would not run true.

So one of the light riggers, Steve Rice, who is also a stills shooter , (think Hasselblad ), new JVC HD100/Mini35 owner and a carpenter by trade, made this quick rubbing strip up out of chip-board to bear against the hub and with some lube added, it was sweet.

Was a fun day I thought.
Aye - it looks like you all had fun. Professional job all round - you must be pleased with the outcome.
Really like the rainbow animations flying across the screen...be interesting to know how they were done also.

Cheers Bob.
David Scattergood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2007, 07:57 AM   #77
Regular Crew

Type: Music Video
Song: El dolorcito
Artist: Shekere
Director: Anto Nisaac
Format: HDV 720p 30p
Tools: GY-HD200 / Chroziel Mattebox / FCP 5.1.4 with Decklink HD Extreme / Magic Bullet Colorista
Direct Media link: http://www.bastidas.tv/videos/shekere-el_dolorcito.mpg
Youtube version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27Oy-y1vh9U
Fernando Orozco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2007, 09:37 AM   #78
Major Player

Nice video Fernando - very colourful!
Was that shot in 50p/60p? Reason I ask is that it doesn't look interlaced (50i/60i) but not quite 24/25p - the fast pans work well and you don't get that blur/stutter you would ordinarily obtain from the latter formats.

As for posting vids - aside from posting on youtube, would most of you have your webspace to add large movie files?

Cheers.
Old July 10th, 2007, 09:53 AM   #79
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Scattergood View Post
Nice video Fernando - very colourful!
Was that shot in 50p/60p? Reason I ask is that it doesn't look interlaced (50i/60i) but not quite 24/25p - the fast pans work well and you don't get that blur/stutter you would ordinarily obtain from the latter formats.

As for posting vids - aside from posting on youtube, would most of you have your webspace to add large movie files?

Cheers.
the video was recorded in 30p but in post I applied some filters to make it more "film-like" like colorista and vignete filter. I'm uploading videos to our webserver for quality reason, I'm thinking to upload h.264 versions of all videos so stay tuned.
Fernando Orozco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2007, 09:56 AM   #80
Major Player

Thanks Fernando.
Old July 21st, 2007, 05:26 AM   #81
Inner Circle

Jvc Gy Hd-250 Direct-to-camera And Mini35 Clips

Here's another clip, this time shot for Perth band "ANTISTATIC" on the JVC GYHD250 with P+S Technik Mini35, here of course in our wonderful state of WA, (Western Australia, not to be confused with WA Washington US.)

Framerate was apparently 60P and the audio track played back on set faster to obtain correct duration of the clip.

Prime lenses used were Sigma for Nikon f2.8 14mm and Sigma for Nikon f1.8 20mm. The vertical flares I think were added in post as I don't recall seeing them on the split.

None were geared, however running the radio follow focus drive gear onto the lens focus ring wrapped in a big red elastic band worked.

Steve Rice, who owns the Mini35 has since bought in a geared 14mm f2.8 Nikon 14mm and geared the other Nikon primes in the set.

All too high a science for me but effective. DoP was Jim Frater who owns the JVC HD250 and the steadycam rig.

Here's the link. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BT-n6noho7k

Here's links to the behind the scens of this clip, - not my work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-R0G5-wbDY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXNw_GbLCe8

Also here's a link to someone's behind the scenes footage of CLAIRE CLARKE'S "BLUR" clip - not mine.

At 00:47-48, you'll see what is possibly myself (with gaffa rolls on each sleeve) and Steve Rice troubleshooting the camera carousel with a rubbing piece made of craftwood. DoP was Jim Frater and the JVC HD 250 is his.

The carousel looks a bit like a chicken cooker rotor on steriods but it still was a bit light for the job and needed strengthening to stop the camera from rocking.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPfO8nGTneU

The clip itself is here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KeGvCnaLk5k

Last edited by Bob Hart; July 21st, 2007 at 05:46 AM. Reason: error
Bob Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2007, 05:59 AM   #82
Major Player

Thanks for sharing those Bob.
Such a large, professional team and set of equipment...makes me feel a little inadequate with my one man band!

Cheers.
Old July 21st, 2007, 07:12 AM   #83
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Hart View Post
Here's another clip, this time shot for Perth band "ANTISTATIC" on the JVC GYHD250 with P+S Technik Mini35, here of course in our wonderful state of WA, (Western Australia, not to be confused with WA Washington US.)

Framerate was apparently 60P and the audio track played back on set faster to obtain correct duration of the clip.

Prime lenses used were Sigma for Nikon f2.8 14mm and Sigma for Nikon f1.8 20mm. The vertical flares I think were added in post as I don't recall seeing them on the split.

None were geared, however running the radio follow focus drive gear onto the lens focus ring wrapped in a big red elastic band worked.

Steve Rice, who owns the Mini35 has since bought in a geared 14mm f2.8 Nikon 14mm and geared the other Nikon primes in the set.

All too high a science for me but effective. DoP was Jim Frater who owns the JVC HD250 and the steadycam rig.

Here's the link. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BT-n6noho7k

Here's links to the behind the scens of this clip, - not my work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-R0G5-wbDY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXNw_GbLCe8

Also here's a link to someone's behind the scenes footage of CLAIRE CLARKE'S "BLUR" clip - not mine.

At 00:47-48, you'll see what is possibly myself (with gaffa rolls on each sleeve) and Steve Rice troubleshooting the camera carousel with a rubbing piece made of craftwood. DoP was Jim Frater and the JVC HD 250 is his.

The carousel looks a bit like a chicken cooker rotor on steriods but it still was a bit light for the job and needed strengthening to stop the camera from rocking.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPfO8nGTneU

The clip itself is here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KeGvCnaLk5k
I really like the choreography of your camera movement.
Is all the light smearing by disign? I typically would not expose so that the CCD's smear but in your video it looks interesting.

Last edited by Stephen L. Noe; July 21st, 2007 at 09:21 AM.
Stephen L. Noe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2007, 06:29 PM   #84
Inner Circle

Steven.

I am not the originator or director on these projects. I went along as an asssitant to Steve Rice and shot of a bit shadow footage on my cam and one of theirs at the Antistatic shoot at the backpacker's hotel corridor.

Whether any of it was mine or one of the others I don't know. Things were pretty busy and a number of people were seconded to the handycam when they were standing around.

The director is a sort of West Australian flavour of wunderkind. He and his core crew around him come up with some good ideas and the shoots are a fine place to learn. The outdoors shoot at Joondalup was huge. There are only music videos but I would like to see that they could do with a feature.

The vertical smears I think were added. I don't recall seeing them on the vieo split. Groundglass based imaging tends not to smear vertically on pinpoints, but flare in all directions. The wall lamps themselves were added and not part of the corridor which was lit by overhead flouros in the high ceiling.

There were cords gaffered into the corners of the wooden dadoes and doorframes and the tape painted over. I actually cursed those lights because they were not well made and kept falling apart. It fell to my lot to fix them against the clock ticking.

My guess is that some pf the cabling might have been visible and the smears added to cover it. As an artistic effect, quite cool I thought.

There is a little network of keen independents who help out on each other's projects with spare hands and equipment loans here outside of the mainstream. It is the relatively low-cost modern cameras which have helped make this activity possible over here.

The initial take-up seemed to have been Sony Z1/FX1 and Canon but the JVC HD100 family is making a significant appearance. Steve's Mini35 is the onyl one here but there may be others soon. Jim is thinking of the compact for his JVC HD250.

I'm off this morning to look over the shoulder of a a TVC being shot in Freo this morning, only learned about it yesterday so with consent of the producers I will see if I can post something on that.
Old July 22nd, 2007, 09:00 AM   #85
Inner Circle

I went to the TVC shoot at Fremantle today at FTI, two restaurants and what has become a "town" Univerisity precinct, streetscapes of heritage buildings which have been conserved and are now places of learning.

One of Western Australia's respected DoPs, was at the helm on the JVC/Mini35.

Between periods of doing things, I was not able to get any shadow footage worth posting. Looking over shoulders was good for the personal knowledge base, learning from people who know well how to get the most out of the new generation of equipment.

The director and DoP did some wonderful optical things with lighting, backlighting, background choices, a Nikon 105mm f1.8 lens, Mini35 and a large wineglass as a slowly rotating diffuser, in edge of frame and about 6" from the camera.

Be assured, if I learn of this project being posted for viewing anywhere you will know of it here soon after.

Last edited by Bob Hart; July 22nd, 2007 at 09:00 AM. Reason: error
Old July 22nd, 2007, 10:34 AM   #86
Major Player

Quote:
...and a large wineglass as a slowly rotating diffuser
How on earth does that work then!?!

Cheers Bob - sounds like you've had a fruitful day....I went out to shoot for another job and yet again I've been washed out by this continuous rain :(
Be sure to post any footage of this project also.
Old July 22nd, 2007, 05:10 PM   #87
Inner Circle

Wine glass?. The director held it just by the stem and moved the barrel of the glass around the side of the frame whilst watching the camera LCD.

The camera operator concentrated on maintaining the composition of the shot on the subject, extreme close-up of girl drinking coffee in cafe.

This has the effect of softening the image and making it move about a little, then snap back into position, sharp.

Outdoors with the running girl, they used a dingle (sprig of gum leaves) for a dappled effect with a lens wide-open or just simply a sprig of leaves to be in the foreground for composition, not sure which in this case.

With the glass you get short moments of something special which cut well into a 30sec TV spot.

Last edited by Bob Hart; July 22nd, 2007 at 05:12 PM. Reason: error
Old July 23rd, 2007, 11:32 AM   #88
Major Player

Interesting...cheers Bob. I may give that a go myself - always good to hear of these little tricks performed on camera's (and which don't cost the earth!).
Thanks.
Old July 23rd, 2007, 01:43 PM   #89
Regular Crew

my first finished hd110e project:

Type: Cinema Advertisement / Web Advertisement
Director: Juliana Neuhuber
DP: Thomas Weilguny
Thread: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=99534
Format: DivX
Size: Approximately 20mb, divx plugin required
Direct Media link: http://stage6.divx.com/user/Hasus/vi...ll-2007---Spot

this is a spot i shot two weeks ago, it will be shown in cinemas next week - filmed with the redrock m2 adapter and nikkor slr lenses.
Thomas Weilguny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2007, 10:40 AM   #90
Wrangler

I must apologize that I haven't been able to keep up with all the new finished project submissions on the #1 post on this thread.

Is there anyone who would like to help out in this regard?
Someone who has some time on their hands to sift through this whole thread (as well as the other self-contained threads) and simply compile one post with the pertinent information as Thomas has kindly formatted his in the previous post.

Thanks in advance.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems