Matte boxes - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old March 12th, 2007, 01:41 PM   #46
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ravens View Post
FWIW...

I have Cavision 4x4 bellows mattebox with french flags. The setup is perfectly adequate for use with my HD110, I can't think of any complaints with the setup, whatsoever. I added a redrock Micro follow focus unit and the setup works very well for me. I will add the following comments, based on what people have previously written in this thread:

1- I do not use a focus puller. Nevertheless, despite the deep DOF, focus on the HD110 is extremely critical in the HDV mode. The deep DOF makes it considerably more difficult to find focus. If you don't set the focus correctly, you won't see it until you try to view your "production", then you'll cringe. A good follow focus unit is very helpful in maintaining proper focus on this camera. Without the follow focus, the jarring and jitter you introduce onto your captured footage is unprofessional and extremely distracting.
It was only really this weekend that I understood (to some degree at least!) what a follow focus unit and focus puller is... and I really could've used one! I tried my best to refocus on two objects (given a slighter shallow depth of field as the distance between myself, the 1st object and the final object was 20 foot for each). Took a few whirls to get it ok though (and this is from a stationary camera). I have a strong, sturdy tripod (Libec LS38) but sometimes this wobbles when the focus/zoom is manipulated (it's impossible to turn the focus to 'infinity', say when blurring into car headlights...the camera just eventually moves with your hands).
Bill is this what you mean by the 'jarring and jitter' introduced without such a unit...or does it relate to something else? And when you say you do not use a 'focus puller' are you referring to another physical set of hands?

Quote:
2-The stock 16x fujinon lens on the HD100/110 is manufactured with a plastic lens barrel surrounding the first optical element. The Cavision mattbox attaches to the front of the lens via a screw-on metal adapter ring and the mattbox clamps to this ring via a c-clamp incorporated in the mattebox. Securing the clamp causes the plastic lens barrel to distort sufficiently to lock up the focus ring on the 16x lens. NOT a good situation.
Can I assume you have a different lense than the stock (as you use a Cavision mattebox)? You obviously know your trade Bill, and I tend to become a little overwhelmed with all the tools and paraphernalia mentioned on these boards...therefore I have to apologise if I'm asking somewhat rudimentary questions so often.
Mentioned before I'd like to add a mattebox set up in the near future, following a lighting kit...:( ...may I then struggle (with say a Chroziel mattebox) to include a follow focus unit?
Thanks.

Gareth - I couldn't find any matteboxes in Prokit's online catalogue? Just doing casual searches (and local ones) the majority of matteboxes seem to be from Formatt.
David Scattergood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2007, 03:05 PM   #47
Major Player

Quote:
2-The stock 16x fujinon lens on the HD100/110 is manufactured with a plastic lens barrel surrounding the first optical element. The Cavision mattbox attaches to the front of the lens via a screw-on metal adapter ring and the mattbox clamps to this ring via a c-clamp incorporated in the mattebox. Securing the clamp causes the plastic lens barrel to distort sufficiently to lock up the focus ring on the 16x lens. NOT a good situation.

Same problem with the Chrosziel 4x4, the only way we found around the problem is when we use the wide angle adapter first, and then attach the mattebox to the front of the adapter.
RED ONE #977
Daniel Patton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2007, 02:51 AM   #48
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Scattergood View Post
Gareth - I couldn't find any matteboxes in Prokit's online catalogue? Just doing casual searches (and local ones) the majority of matteboxes seem to be from Formatt.
No it's not in the catalogue or website... but they've a whole lot more gear in the shop... I got my TLS from them and they had Chroziels also, as well as Tiffen filters.

Regards
Gareth
Gareth Watkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2007, 03:28 AM   #49
Major Player

^^ Thanks Gareth.
Old March 13th, 2007, 08:33 AM   #50

David..

It is a bit overwhelming, indeed. Yes, I bought a fujinon 17x5 lens and have been quite pleased with it.

When I refer to a focus puller, yes, I'm referring to another set of hands who is running the follow focus and watching a 15" LCD screen for focus.

And yes, again, to my reference to jitter/judder. Turning the focus ring directly on the lens results in a lot more image shaking than a very light touch turning a follow focus knob. Additionally, you can get somethinf called a "whip" A whip is a flexible connection to the follow focus knob that allows it to be turned over a flexible "wire" that doesn't have any shaking effect on the camera.

You know, the list of "professional" equipment is practically endless and a serious professional can need very deep pockets to keep up with all the hardware. But, one shouldn't forget that the primary tool is the camera. So much can be done with the fundamental tool. All the accessories just make the job easier, but, they certainly don't define the skill and creativity of the cinematographer.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2007, 04:10 AM   #51
Major Player

Quote:
David..

It is a bit overwhelming, indeed. Yes, I bought a fujinon 17x5 lens and have been quite pleased with it.

When I refer to a focus puller, yes, I'm referring to another set of hands who is running the follow focus and watching a 15" LCD screen for focus.

And yes, again, to my reference to jitter/judder. Turning the focus ring directly on the lens results in a lot more image shaking than a very light touch turning a follow focus knob. Additionally, you can get somethinf called a "whip" A whip is a flexible connection to the follow focus knob that allows it to be turned over a flexible "wire" that doesn't have any shaking effect on the camera.

You know, the list of "professional" equipment is practically endless and a serious professional can need very deep pockets to keep up with all the hardware. But, one shouldn't forget that the primary tool is the camera. So much can be done with the fundamental tool. All the accessories just make the job easier, but, they certainly don't define the skill and creativity of the cinematographer.
Absolutely. I panic a lot less than when I first came on these boards, now I take each step at a time trying to get the best out of what I have.
Heck, I have a black piece of plastic which I'm going to shape into a french flag this weekend adding a bit of cork/plastic on the stock lens cover (if it was good enough for John Carpenter/Dean Cundey it's good enough for me!).
But aside from obtaining a lighting kit (and steadicam!), I'd like to eventually get hold of a quality mattebox and follow focus unit...but it appears from the the last few posts that unless I purchase a new lense or wide angle converter I may run into some trouble....which means yet more monetary expenditure :(

Thanks Bill.
Old March 19th, 2007, 03:09 AM   #52
Trustee

I just used a Van Diemen again this past weekend. Great MB really. It had two rotating filters stages, eyebrow and a pair of siders and it was perfect! Very light weight too. But you don't see them around that much anymore. Not even sure if they are still being made.
Michael Maier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2007, 04:01 AM   #53
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Maier View Post
I just used a Van Diemen again this past weekend. Great MB really. It had two rotating filters stages, eyebrow and a pair of siders and it was perfect! Very light weight too. But you don't see them around that much anymore. Not even sure if they are still being made.
I heard they'd run into difficulties and I haven't been dealing with them for some time, but they seem to have a current web site:

http://www.vandiemen.tv/index.html
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems