image problem... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old March 16th, 2007, 12:20 AM   #1
Tourist

image problem...

I've had my 110U for about a month and I love it.... but im having some issues with the image. Dont know the best way to explain it but the issue is that when ever im filming I get this split down the middle of the screen. One side is ligther/or darker in contrast than the other side.(very noticeable when panning) At first I just thought it was some glitch from the LCD screen but it recorded that way as well. ;(
and it doesnt matter if Im shooting under light conditions(outside) or in dark settings with little light. I still get this split down the middle. I have played with the settings nurmous of times and cant quite get it to go away.

any ideas on what this is? or how to slove this problem?
Chris Gonzaleza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2007, 12:56 AM   #2
Regular Crew

If i'm not mistaken, this is the "split screen effect (SSE)" problem that was much discussed (lamented) a while back. I wasn't involved at the time as I'm waiting for my HD110u in the mail as we speak, but if you search these forums, you'll find lots on the topic. I think the idea is to get it fixed by JVC as it's a defect which has since been ironed out by JVC.

Here are some good threads:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=84869

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...t=split+screen
Brian Orser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2007, 12:58 AM   #3
Wrangler

Your camera needs to be calibrated properly at JVC. Call your dealer to arrange it.

There are two image processors in the ProHD systems and they need to be calibrated to each other.

I'm surprised this even happened on a new camera. We haven't heard about it in about a year... since JVC improved the Quality Control procedures. I guess yours slipped through.
Old March 16th, 2007, 04:02 AM   #4
Major Player

It's very apparent on my new camera (HD111). Far worse than my old HD101 - I can't get rid of it at 12dB gain.

I'm sending it in asap.
Mike Marriage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2007, 01:57 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Just to make sure, does your camera have the "A" upgrade? Could be old stock of the pre upgraded cameras. If not just send it in for the A upgrade and they will recalibrate it during that procedure, though if i'm not mistaken the free upgrade promo is over

jon
Jon Snyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2007, 02:41 PM   #6
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Snyder View Post
if i'm not mistaken the free upgrade promo is over
If the camera was purchased recently (after the promo) from old stock, I doubt that will matter. All new cameras sold should be at least 'A' versions by now.
Old March 16th, 2007, 04:56 PM   #7
Major Player

My HD111 (UK version of 110 with firewire input) still has the problem. I tested it today and it is pretty visible even at 6dB gain. It'll be the 4th time I have returned a camera to JVC in a year! They really need to sort out their QC.
Old March 16th, 2007, 05:52 PM   #8
Major Player

It seems the HD200/201 and HD250/251 are having a different design: it seems that they have 3 times one full CCD of 1280x720, instead of three times 2 CCD's 'glued' together (half res each). Since that was causing the SSE, it should be gone in the HD2xx series versus the HD1xx series (although, I really never had any trouble with it on my HD101 - I must say)

CAn anyone actually officially confirm that the design is now 3 times one whole CCD? (or is it just a rumor?) Carl, perhaps?
Old March 16th, 2007, 06:10 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werner Wesp View Post
It seems the HD200/201 and HD250/251 are having a different design: it seems that they have 3 times one full CCD of 1280x720, instead of three times 2 CCD's 'glued' together (half res each). Since that was causing the SSE, it should be gone in the HD2xx series versus the HD1xx series (although, I really never had any trouble with it on my HD101 - I must say)

CAn anyone actually officially confirm that the design is now 3 times one whole CCD? (or is it just a rumor?) Carl, perhaps?
Werner,
The reason the HD200 series doesn't suffer from SSE like the HD100 series is because they have a color depth of 14bit as opposed to 10bit. That means there is 4x the color information with which to calibrate the two image processors together.

Liam.
Old March 17th, 2007, 04:59 AM   #10
Major Player

Hmm, no, I can't believe that. The DSP is 16 times 'fines' due to use of 14 bit instead of 10 bit, but I can't see how that has anything to do with calibrating WB/BB on 2 seperate CCD's better...

Anyhow, I've never had any problems with my HD101 concerning the SSE, so that's not really my question. I just would like to know whether the HD2xx series have 3 or 6 CCDs (like the HD1xx series) - because JVC told me unofficially it had 3 whole ones, but I can't seem to get that confirmed...
Old March 17th, 2007, 06:00 AM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Anyhow, I've never had any problems with my HD101 concerning the SSE, so that's not really my question. I just would like to know whether the HD2xx series have 3 or 6 CCDs (like the HD1xx series) - because JVC told me unofficially it had 3 whole ones, but I can't seem to get that confirmed...
JVC told me that it is actually the processing chips that cause SSE. The CCD block is the same on the 100/200 series, but the 200s use one chip to process the info from the CCDs rather than splitting it between 2. The 200s basically have more processing power all round.
Old March 17th, 2007, 06:34 AM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Hmm, no, I can't believe that.
Werner, I'm not an engineer, but that's what the camera technician at JVC told me. SSE is a problem of calibration and with more color information in the HD200s it's easier to get right.

My camera is currently back at JVC having its SSE fixed (for the second time), when I pop back to collect the camera I'll ask him your question about the CCDs.

Cheers,

Liam.
Old March 18th, 2007, 09:32 PM   #13
JVC America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Dashwood View Post
Your camera needs to be calibrated properly at JVC. Call your dealer to arrange it.

There are two image processors in the ProHD systems and they need to be calibrated to each other.

I'm surprised this even happened on a new camera. We haven't heard about it in about a year... since JVC improved the Quality Control procedures. I guess yours slipped through.
Chris,

If you bought your camera in the last 30 days from an authorized JVC Pro dealer in the USA, then you may also have the option of getting it replaced under our 30 day exchange policy. Check with your dealer for details.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems