Audio Hiss with no input at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old November 3rd, 2006, 12:28 AM   #1
Trustee

Audio Hiss with no input

So folks, while I've had my 100 for maybe 5 months or so, I've got a problem. I shot my first interviews with it today. shooting live I heard some hiss, no big deal, its usually AC or such and not much you can do... so I thought. I get home, and decide to check the camera out. With nothing attached to the XLR on input 2, set to MIC position, I turn the input level up. All I hear is MASSIVE hiss. By the time you get to 10 its almost a jet. This has to be a bad mic preamp circut. If I change to line, even at 10, its silent. SO whats the deal ? I might be a month out of warranty, I need to check. Any one else had this ? I did a search and saw one person having the same problem, but it went very OT.
I can probably take the audio into Audition and use the noise removal tools to fix, but I've got 2 1/2 hrs of @#$@#$@#$!!!! audio. this is a major paid shooting gig, so I can't mess around... otherwise I'm on the phone to the chicago service center and driving 4hrs to bring the camera in.

Steve Oakley
Steve Oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2006, 09:06 AM   #2
Major Player

Typically, I'm not using the mic inputs, but I know that input 1 works with phantom power just fine, since shooting some nat sound stuff last week. It's definitely a technical problem with your camera, but from the lack of other similar complaints, probably pretty rare. Too bad you're out of warranty - that's an early HD100!
Eric Darling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2006, 10:59 AM   #3
Major Player

I have had numerous audio issues with my HD101 and been contacted by 4 other people also having trouble. My camera is with JVC now, for the third time!

Remember that even if the warranty has expired, it is only in addition to you consumer rights. A professional video camera should be expected to last for at least several years if properly treated and so the repair should be free of charge... as long as you didn't mistreat the camera. The law is probably slightly different in the US from the UK though.
Mike Marriage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2006, 11:49 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Steve, Were you using a Lav mic at the time or the directional one that comes with the camera?
Scott Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2006, 10:05 AM   #5
Trustee

at the time, I was using a lectro wireless. its not that. even with nothing on the input, there is hiss that audible starting at about 2 on the level control, and by the time you get to 10 its loud. its certainly something in the input circuts.

friday I left two message and tried three time to get a hold of the chicago service center. no one retruned my call. its like they took the day off. I'm going into a shoot tues with a problem camera. thankfully there will be two others so I can run my critical audio to the others. Not a happy camper service took the day off giving me no shot at getting the thing fixed.

STeve Oakley
Old November 4th, 2006, 08:04 PM   #6
Trustee

as a follow up

if I go to -50db input level for mic, the noise level does drop a little. What I can hear is not just hiss, but some digitial rf noise too if I turn the head phones all the way up. When I go to Line level, I thought the problem was gone, but its not. turning the input to 10 and turning the headphones all the way I can clearly hear the same hiss, plus some 60hz beat noise. in short, this sounds like a shielding problem and a input coupling problem to the preamps, basically meaning either a bad board/audio input section.

my quick fix was to turn the lectro reciever up to -20 and feed the camera as hot a signal as possible so I could reduce the input level, and therfore the noise. If I can't get this thing fixed in a timely manor, I'll pickup a small field mixer and feed the camera line level, which will force the noise low enough to not be significantly noticable, but its still there.

not a happy camper! and FWIW, I have an extended warranty on this camera, although I am sure it will be a total PITA to use. I'm expecting I'll have to send the camera to the place providing the warranty in NJ, and when they can't fix it, they'll send it to JVC. Thats what I expect in a good world. in a bad one, they'll do nothing, send it back saying its fixed, I'll send it back and then finally they will send it to JVC and in the mean time a month will of gone buy or better.

Steve Oakley
Old November 4th, 2006, 09:54 PM   #7
JVC America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Oakley
as a follow up

if I go to -50db input level for mic, the noise level does drop a little. What I can hear is not just hiss, but some digitial rf noise too if I turn the head phones all the way up. When I go to Line level, I thought the problem was gone, but its not. turning the input to 10 and turning the headphones all the way I can clearly hear the same hiss, plus some 60hz beat noise. in short, this sounds like a shielding problem and a input coupling problem to the preamps, basically meaning either a bad board/audio input section.

my quick fix was to turn the lectro reciever up to -20 and feed the camera as hot a signal as possible so I could reduce the input level, and therfore the noise. If I can't get this thing fixed in a timely manor, I'll pickup a small field mixer and feed the camera line level, which will force the noise low enough to not be significantly noticable, but its still there.

not a happy camper! and FWIW, I have an extended warranty on this camera, although I am sure it will be a total PITA to use. I'm expecting I'll have to send the camera to the place providing the warranty in NJ, and when they can't fix it, they'll send it to JVC. Thats what I expect in a good world. in a bad one, they'll do nothing, send it back saying its fixed, I'll send it back and then finally they will send it to JVC and in the mean time a month will of gone buy or better.

Steve Oakley

Steve,

On your camera, make sure that the "Full Auto" mode is off, and that your audio record mode switches are in the manual mode.

I'm confused. You say that you have had the camera for 5 months, yet you are worried that the warranty has run out. The factory warranty runs 12 months parts & labor.

Service department is open Monday thru Friday - every Friday, unless it's a holiday. Please, when you call for service, call the national number for pro service - 1-800-851-2020. Press option 7. This line is manned Monday thru Friday, 9 AM to 5 PM Eastern Time. The actual service centers, which are in Cypress, CA, Aurora, IL, Pine Brook, NJ, and Lawrenceville, GA, do not generally take phone calls. This is to give them more time on the bench. The people at the national number are the ones to call for information. If information is needed from one of the service centers, the guys at the national number will get it for you.

This information is all found on this web page, including a downloadable "Factory Service Request Form"

http://pro.jvc.com/prof/support/index.jsp

You do not need to call ahead to get a "RA number" in order to get service. Simply use the "Factory Service Request Form" and include a proof of purchase if it's under a year old. You should also get your JVC DSM involved to help you with any warranty issues or turn-around concerns you may have.

This is all outlined at the top of this forum in the "Sticky" area.

Regards,

Last edited by Carl Hicks; November 4th, 2006 at 10:26 PM.
Carl Hicks is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems