Battery Plate Screw Holes Stripped -- Is there a Fix? Help! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old November 3rd, 2006, 08:49 PM   #1
Trustee

Battery Plate Screw Holes Stripped -- Is there a Fix? Help!

As outlined in another thread, I was not able to properly attach the AB battery plate and subsequently found out this was a common problem.

AB sent me more screws when the first ones stripped. The instructions were to "overtighten" the screws. I got the plate to work and the camera powered on, but moving or giggling the camera caused it to lose power -- I guess the contact to the plate was broken by the bit of movement. I again tried to tighten a little more, and the screw stripped as before (AB sent me 4 screws for this eventually).

However, as it turns out, with all the attempts, etc. One of the screw holes is now damaged/stripped.

Is this something that can be fixed? I hope so, but if not I'm going to dump the camera (sell cheap) the camera.

First, though I want to find out how if the holes can be fixed, and how much. I also need to know what battery plate will work properly. TD suggested the Swit might be good. I don't know.

I guess thed 200 and thed 250 have a built-in AB plate for a good reason.

Of all the miscellaneous issues, this was not one I ever expected.
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2006, 10:29 PM   #2
Trustee

you can sell the camera to me cheap :)

all you have to do is drill & retap the hole for the next screw size up... its possible you might get away with just tapping the hole out with the next size up without drilling . I'd do this with the camera upside down to keep chips from going inside. properly, you should open the camera up and either remove the guts, or make a cup out of tape to trap and possble chips from getting loose inside the camera. its very fixable

Steve Oakley
Steve Oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2006, 11:19 PM   #3
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Oakley
you can sell the camera to me cheap :)

all you have to do is drill & retap the hole for the next screw size up... its possible you might get away with just tapping the hole out with the next size up without drilling . I'd do this with the camera upside down to keep chips from going inside. properly, you should open the camera up and either remove the guts, or make a cup out of tape to trap and possble chips from getting loose inside the camera. its very fixable

Steve Oakley
Yes, drilling and tapping looks like the solution. I will check with JVC Monday to see if they have details or do it. I also have a friend who is a machinist of precision tools who may be able to help.

It seems the case is aluminum and not very hard, though I don't know for sure. The first time I put the screws in the holes seemed a little small for what they were holding.

Now, regarding the AB plate, I had a chance to compare it to another one, and it turns out the plate if defective.... the plastic edge is broken off on one side that should hole the plate against the camera. I had noticed this when I first opened it, but the piece broken off is so cleanly broken off, I thought it was made this way.

Thus, the plate was not being held again the contacts, due to this broken edge, even though the adapter/plate was tightened down.

Hopefully AB will replace the adapter/plate and I will be able to get the screw holes drilled and tapped -- all without too many problems.
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2006, 08:45 PM   #4
Regular Crew

tapping body for new screw

It will require quite a disassembly to do it since you need room deeper than the hole to insert the tap and make the new threads. I would assume this would/could be a very expensive operation (labor cost hr.) and you might find the bill from JVC to be steep. I have an alternative method I have used for such situations; Get a screw the same size as the stripped one which would fit in the hole- best to use stainless steel screws from specialty hardware if you can. Take this screw to a machine shop or get a hold of a drill press. Grind the top of the screw flat until phillips head is only a small hole in center. Use this as an allignment point to drill another hole of smaller diameter than the screw with a matched drill bit for a new smaller tap key. Drill all the way through. Take the smaller tap and make new threads in this new smaller hole. Use a hard steel-like two part mix type epoxy and coat the outside thread edges carefully with the epoxy. Find a new new smaller screw to screw into this larger screw which now has a hole in it with epoxy only on the outside diameter. Screw this into the camera body firmly, then unscrew only the small inner screw and wipe any excess epoxy. let dry. Of course you end up with a smaller slightly weaker screw but if you use stainless steel, you'll find it's just as strong as the old one.
Keith Gruchala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2006, 09:41 PM   #5
JVC America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Walker
Yes, drilling and tapping looks like the solution. I will check with JVC Monday to see if they have details or do it. I also have a friend who is a machinist of precision tools who may be able to help.

It seems the case is aluminum and not very hard, though I don't know for sure. The first time I put the screws in the holes seemed a little small for what they were holding.

Now, regarding the AB plate, I had a chance to compare it to another one, and it turns out the plate if defective.... the plastic edge is broken off on one side that should hole the plate against the camera. I had noticed this when I first opened it, but the piece broken off is so cleanly broken off, I thought it was made this way.

Thus, the plate was not being held again the contacts, due to this broken edge, even though the adapter/plate was tightened down.

Hopefully AB will replace the adapter/plate and I will be able to get the screw holes drilled and tapped -- all without too many problems.
Hi Jack,

Before you get too deep into this, please contact your reseller and your JVC rep and get help from them. This is the proper direction to go rather than trying to modifiy a new unit. We have policies in place and people to help when there is a defective product.

Regards,

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems