DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   JVC HD 201 and 35mm adaptors (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/85994-jvc-hd-201-35mm-adaptors.html)

Phil Bloom February 8th, 2007 04:40 PM

JVC HD 201 and 35mm adaptors

1 Attachment(s)
Tried it out tonight with my M2, got it almost lined up using my own rails and also with my Brevis 35...wow that worked so well together, even with attaching it to the stock lens, longer than i would like but perfectly ok to focus the 35mm lens. NO FLIPPING, what a joy, I can now use the viewfinder and shoot 35mm stuff off the shoulder. The viewfinder is terrific, nice and sharp, good enough for handheld run and gun stuff. The LCD too is better than the Z1.

All in all this camera will change everything as far as 35mm adaptors go and as soon as the affordable adaptors make a relay for it the mini35 will be dead as a doo doo (that's a gag for Blackadder fans out there!) especially as I used the mini 35 on this camera on Tuesday at Video Forum pointing at a very brightly lit scene and could barely get exposure, using a T2 cooke lens. I could have run around with my 201 and Brevis there without any lights and got beautiful pics. This camera is AWESOME!!

Don Bloom February 8th, 2007 05:56 PM

WOW Phil,
Thats an awesome looking rig.
How is the balance of it?
Not buying but curious.
Don

Justin Ferar February 8th, 2007 07:31 PM

Phil,

So you own the Brevis and the M2?

I've been looking hard at both products and would love to hear more as you gain experience with one or the other.

Peace.

Phil Bloom February 8th, 2007 07:39 PM

Mr Bloom,

The balance is fine, with a longer lens I might double up my IDX battery to match it. Buy one...go on, you know you would like to!

justin,

yes I own both but tend to use the brevis most of the time due to its flexibility and ease of putting on the cameras. Also in British winters the fast diffuser is such a plus. I have barely used my CF2 diffuser yet!

My shootout my be of interest to you on my website it compares the Brevis, M2, and SGPro on the HVX200.

Eric Gulbransen February 8th, 2007 09:35 PM

Phil,

My HD200 comes via UPS tomorrow. Also the deck. I feel like taking off work tomorrow and sitting on the stoop with an ice cream cone till that big brown truck comes by.

Ordering a Brevis tonight. Thanks for the true profile shot of it on the JVC. Not so long after all, but still a relay lens will be a welcome piece when it comes.

Just want to tell you that your shootout was very helpful. Thanks for taking the time. Think I read it about eleven times. And I'm real glad you like the 201 (being that I've already pulled the trigger and all)...

Good luck with it.

Drew Curran February 9th, 2007 03:25 AM

Its good to see the over all length of the camera is not greatly increased - a good thing when used on the shoulder. The M2 must make this style of shooting difficult.

Thanks for posting this Phil

Andrew

Phil Bloom February 9th, 2007 05:48 AM

the m2 makes it slightly longer and front heavy. An extra idx battery on the back would even it out, ideally a relay would be best!

Phil Bloom February 9th, 2007 08:33 AM

stuck the matte box on and it looks bonkers. This long narrow thing stuck on the body with the matte box on the end of it! it is too long really, especially with a longer lens. Be great when someone brings out a relay based adaptor for these cameras other than Letus.

Drew Curran February 9th, 2007 10:00 AM

At that length its starting to look like a rocket launcher!!

I like the fact that you can focus when on the shoulder with the brevis. A relay lens will be a great addition.

The M2 or similar adaptors look to be a little awkward to focus on the shoulder.

I suppose it depends on the purpose you use your camera for.

Andrew

Brian Duke February 9th, 2007 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil Bloom
Tried it out tonight with my M2, got it almost lined up using my own rails and also with my Brevis 35...wow that worked so well together, even with attaching it to the stock lens, longer than i would like but perfectly ok to focus the 35mm lens.

Can you share some footage when you get a chance? Thanks

Phil Bloom February 10th, 2007 08:57 AM

Definately, as soon as I am fit enough will knock some off!

Phil Bloom February 11th, 2007 12:32 PM

Test video is now on my website. This is a quick knock off test so keep that in mind!

Phil Bloom February 11th, 2007 03:59 PM

its at 35mm shorts 2 and also on the shootout page with more info about what I used.

Drew Curran February 12th, 2007 05:36 AM

Its nice to see some footage using a 35mm adapter. Thanks for posting this Phil

Andrew

Joel Aaron February 12th, 2007 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil Bloom
NO FLIPPING, what a joy, I can now use the viewfinder and shoot 35mm stuff off the shoulder

Just a quick note for any HD-100 owners. You can flip the viewfinder eyepiece upside down very quickly to make shooting with an adapter easy. I've been able to go run and gun with my M2 by hard mounting the M2 to the HD-100 and flipping the eyepiece.

The Brevis looks awesome though. Is there any downside to using the faster ground glass? Wouldn't you just use it all the time?