dead pixel popped up right in front of me at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old July 20th, 2007, 10:08 PM   #1
New Boot

dead pixel popped up right in front of me

Hi gang,

just like the title says...it freaked me out completely. I have an HD200 and I just bought a new HDTV and I hooked up the camera to it via component to check out the quality/settings of the tv. When I turned on the camera...I noticed a bright green pixel on the mid-right side of the screen. My heart skipped a beat. So I switched the cam to standard dv to make sure it wasnt a freak of nature...and sure enough the green pixel was still there. Then a thick white band on the lower 1/8th of the screen popped up all across the bottom..the screen flickered and then I noticed a red pixel appear that wasnt there before. I turned the camera off and turned it back on and it was still there. I update the firmware a few weeks ago (for FCP issues) to 101 if that has anything to do with it Has anyone experienced anything like this? I do plan on calling JVC Monday morning...its just I have a shoot this next friday and having 2 dead pixels...with one a bright green screaming at you...won't exactly cut it

-alan
Alan Hanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2007, 06:50 AM   #2
Major Player

Hello
Alan
I was just wondering what do you see when you look at the LCD camera screen. does the same thing happen that happens on your HDTV TV. could it be your tv has a problem

Just Wondering
ThanKYou
Joe
Joseph A. Benoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2007, 09:39 AM   #3
New Boot

Hi Joe,

Yes..I had a feeling I forgot to mention something. Both of them show up on the flip-out LCD as well. So I know for sure this is happening in-camera. Also when I switch to VTR mode the pixels disappear. Im just hoping that they are stuck pixels or something and need to "wake up"...like LCD monitors.

take care
-alan
Old July 21st, 2007, 10:27 AM   #4
Major Player

Hi Alan
(SEARCH THIS FORM) CLICK ON THAT.
type in
spell DEAD PIXLE this way
click go.
when you get there click on missing pixels
it will take you to threads that will help correct the pixel issue

Joe
Old July 23rd, 2007, 11:29 AM   #5
Major Player

Hi Alan
How did you make out with the pixel problem
joe
Old July 23rd, 2007, 11:02 PM   #6
New Boot

Hi Joe,

sorry I didnt reply earlier. I didnt get a chance to call JVC yet. I also saw the thread on running the dead pixel utility...thanks. I did hook up the camera again to the TV to check it out if anything changed. Sure enough, the green pixel is still there but the red pixel dissapeared and its normal at that spot. I thought that was really strange. The red pixel was probably just a stuck pixel that took a short nap..lol. I hope it has nothing to do with the firmware. Im wondering if there is a way to put the old firmware back in (cpu 100) just to test it out. The reason I think that is because of that white strip on the lower 1/8th of the screen that popped up for a couple of seconds and was accompanied by that red pixel. I'll give an update hopefully on Tuesday night

My shoot is week will be done in SD and the green pixel is too far to the right and is not in the 4:3 range that gets recorded...so at least thats good for now

-alan
Old July 24th, 2007, 10:16 AM   #7
Major Player

Hi Alan
Is your camera a 110?
also did you update your firmware.
joe
Old July 25th, 2007, 03:55 PM   #8
New Boot

Hi Joe,

my camera is an HD200...and I did update the firmware. I called JVC earllier today and was told about the pixel compensation utility. I left a message with someone at JVC wondering if I can get the old firmware, but havent gotten a call back yet...so maybe tomorrow. I wanted to reflash the original firmware since I didn't have a problem with it. I wanted to see if this was a firmware issue or not...since the red pixel fixed itself earlier...but not the green pixel.

I am assuming that after running the pixel comp utility, I can empty the memory bank, right? Does anyone have info on that?

-alan
Alan Hanna is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems