Firmware update for GY-HM100 / GY-HM700 - Page 6 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems
GY-HM8xx, HM7xx and HM6xx ProHD camcorders & decks.

Old September 22nd, 2009, 06:12 AM   #76
Regular Crew

A quick question; I know the upgrader says to use a power supply rather than a battery, but as I'm missing a rather important component, (the four pin xlr power lead) could I upgrade my HM700 using a freshly-charged battery?

Have Fun.
Jim.
James McBoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2009, 03:00 PM   #77
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by James McBoyle View Post
A quick question; I know the upgrader says to use a power supply rather than a battery, but as I'm missing a rather important component, (the four pin xlr power lead) could I upgrade my HM700 using a freshly-charged battery?

Have Fun.
Jim.
Does anyone has answer for that? Jim, did you update with battery?
Asaf Benatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2009, 03:46 PM   #78
Major Player

[QUOTE=Peter Erfurt;1372019]
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Walton View Post
Steve...wow, that was fast!

All but a very few early GY-HM700's are eligible for the firmware update. Those early units will need to be updated by a JVC service technician. The website should identify those units and prevent the download..
Mine is one of those :(
Marcello Mazzilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2009, 05:55 PM   #79
Major Player

I did update with battery and worked well.
Eugen
Eugen Oprina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2009, 03:10 PM   #80
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asaf Benatia View Post
Does anyone has answer for that? Jim, did you update with battery?
I hadn't yet as I was waiting for an answer, plus this weekend has been a little busy. Now I see Eugen was successful in updating with battery I'll try myself.

Have Fun,
Jim.
James McBoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2009, 04:29 PM   #81
Regular Crew

Use Class 6 card & Update?

Can any one confirm we can use Class 6 cards and/or Class 10 cards after the update? Sure would hate to find my Class 6 cards no longer work in the 700 after the update.

RonE
Ron Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2009, 04:32 PM   #82
Regular Crew

My Class 6 cards are still working. Don't have 10's at this time. I used a smaller class 6 to do the update without problems. Just remember to clear the card of all files & and update folders, then reformat in the camera before you try to use it for video.

Steve,
Bethlehem, Pa.
Steve J. Nordahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2009, 04:37 PM   #83
Major Player

It does work perfect with class6 after update.
Giani
Eugen Oprina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2009, 06:20 AM   #84
New Boot

[quote=Marcello Mazzilli;1427379]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Erfurt View Post

Mine is one of those :(
We had to send our camera back to JVC for the firmware update. I can't get a straight answer as to if I will have to keep sending this beast back for every update. Be prepared to be without your camera for two solid weeks. They are slow and I overnighted the thing to them. I am curious to see how the improved DNR works to reduce grain.
Kevin Gallagher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2009, 04:27 AM   #85
Major Player

Hi Kevin,
I ama waiting because my reseller told me that JVC will make a specific update for old models.. but I have no news up to now.. I?ll see... Please tell me about the DNR
Marcello Mazzilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2009, 03:32 PM   #86
Major Player

I have a HM100, one of the first. Is there any reason at all I'd want to upgrade? Has anybody noticed any improvements other than the SDHC class compatibility? And if I do want to upgrade, does anybody know if it is a user process? Thanks.
Keith Moreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2009, 05:02 AM   #87
Major Player

Hi Keith.
I updated my HM100 in the hope that it would solve the "check lens cover" warning whenever I fired up the cam, it didn't. There is a mention of minor bug fixes, (unspecified), on the JVC site. To all intents and purposes, it seems the only noticable change it makes, is to enable the use of class 10 cards. Though why anyone would want to spend much more money on these, when class 6 are more than adequate, baffles me.
Old October 21st, 2009, 07:31 AM   #88
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Rowe View Post
...the use of class 10 cards. Though why anyone would want to spend much more money on these, when class 6 are more than adequate, baffles me.
I think it's mainly a matter of ensuring compatibility. If you happen to have a Class 10 card in your collection, perhaps originally purchased for some other purpose, than it is nice to know you can use it in the camera as well. Also, if you're in the field and just desperately need another card, and the local office supply store only has a Class 10 in stock, you're not out-of-luck.

Additionally, if you have a really fast card reader, a Class 10 card can (theoretically) get your clips loaded onto your computer faster than a Class 6 card. I haven't tested a Class 10 card with my HM700, but with class 6 cards it takes under 15 minutes to transfer a 16GB card (about 56 minutes of clips) ... it would be nice to do that in under 10.
Bob Richardson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2009, 05:15 PM   #89
Major Player

Why ?????!!!!! Under 15 mins to transfer a full 16gb card is plenty fast enough, whats the rush LOL
Old November 24th, 2009, 01:37 AM   #90
Contributor

Just wondering before I update - my camera is clearly labelled as JVC GY-HM700E but when I go the firmware download page and enter all my numbers it identifies the camera as a 700U. Is this normal and should I load that firmware?

thanks

John

Last edited by John Mitchell; November 24th, 2009 at 01:37 AM. Reason: typos
John Mitchell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems