Considering GY-HM700 but ? on Memory Card - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems
GY-HM8xx, HM7xx and HM6xx ProHD camcorders & decks.

Old February 1st, 2012, 03:02 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Re: Considering GY-HM700 but ? on Memory Card

Yikes thats a lot of cash. How about a used HM700. First model before the 750 and pretty much the same camera.
Or the Panny 130/160 on a multirig. Lots less cost. Batteries etc less money, leaving you some to get the multirig or something similar.
Old February 1st, 2012, 06:06 PM   #17
Inner Circle

Hey Don

I haven't seen a new one in this part of the world let alone a used one. My supplier has 700's but they cost more than the 750 (they only come with the Fujinon lens so they are $700 more!!!)

I was looking at AC-130's but you still don't have the "proper" EVF which only the EX3 and HM700 series have. One would also have to get use to or put a loupe onto the LCD to use as an EVF. Problem is that I'm so used to shooting with an EVF and the camera on my shoulder that I'm reluctant to change!!!

By the time I buy an AC-130 here at just over 4K and then get a shoulder mount rig and some kind of loupe system for using the LCD as an EVF, I'm almost at the 750 price anyway and I have a camera that's still not a 'proper' shoulder mount!!

I wonder why JVC are so rare over here??? Does the forum overall have JVC rated at the least number of owners compared to the other big names???

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2012, 09:07 PM   #18
Inner Circle

Chris, the 7XX series is an awesome camera but keep in mind the cost of the batterys and charger. If you use 2 then it's a WOWlot of cash.

While I haven't personally used the 130/160 as yet the things I've heard about it are 1) good in low light and 2) the LCD is fantastic. Large, clear and bright. Perhaps a EVF wouldn't be necessary. I too was used to using a proper VF but once I got into using the LCD it really wasn't a problem for focusing and the Pannys have focus assist so you might just find it works out for you. As for running shoulder mount style, with the savings you'd realize by using the 130s instead of the HM7XX cameras, even with battery's and other accessories, I think you hsave enough to have a pocketful left over for something like the DVMultirig. I love mine with small form factor cameras and have come to the conclusion I can't live without it. Regardless of what I'm running on it (PD series or an EX1) it's my number 1 accessory for anything I do that's off the tripod.
Anyway just my $.02 worth and frankly I'm leaning more and more towards the 160/130 combo (I'll change my mind again tomorrow) but I do really enjoy helping other people spend their money. ;-)
Old February 2nd, 2012, 03:43 AM   #19
Regular Crew

Appreciate the information. Will take a look at the 750 as well.
Jeff Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2012, 05:06 PM   #20
Regular Crew

You can get after market Anton Bauer batteries that bring the price right down.
I have 2 136Wh batteries that each power my GM750 all day and they were under $200 each.
One on them is 5 years old and still going strong.
I used it on my 111E.
Paul Kapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2012, 08:08 AM   #21
Inner Circle

Hi Paul

Thanks for the info...sadly my budget this year didn't stretch to two HM750's they were about 2.5K more expensive (each) than the panny AC-130 ... My upgrade plans were from panny HMC80's and I wanted to keep a shoulder mount camera so I'll have to adapt the 130 so when handheld I can shoot from the shoulder!!

Maybe next year???

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2012, 10:21 AM   #22
Regular Crew

We have been using batteries from Batteries4Broadcast. They have good prices, if budget is a concern.

You can get 2 90wh Lithium Batteries and a charger for about $755. I have had mine for almost 3 years now with no problems.
Mike James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2012, 11:28 PM   #23
New Boot

At the risk of appearing opportunistic, I am selling a really nice GY-HM700. $4500. Extremely low hours and in perfect condition. Trying to free up some cash for other projects. Drop me a line if interested. troy.filipiak@gmail.com

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Considering GY-HM700 but ? on Memory Card-jvc4ebay.jpg  
Troy Filipiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2012, 01:53 PM   #24
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Dean View Post
Exactly what brand of SDHC memory card would be best for it?
I test cards before buying and I found that the yellow-labeled high-speed 32GB cards I buy from Micro Center have worked very well.

Here's my test - Start a recording and hit the START/STOP button repeatedly as fast as you can push it. If it doesn't give you a file error, then the card will work well. This is the case for me with hose yellow SDHC cards I buy at Micro Center.

Don Smith - NewsVideo.com
Donald Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2012, 01:58 PM   #25
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Dean View Post
I'm in the market for a new camera and looking at several including the HM700 with a 7X5BRMU Fujinon lens.
You won't believe this but I just posted my camera for sale with exactly that lens. Just look up the list.

Don Smith - NewsVideo.com
Donald Smith is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems