.7x Wide-Angle Converter from 16x9 for HM100 - Anyone used? - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems
GY-HM8xx, HM7xx and HM6xx ProHD camcorders & decks.

Old October 15th, 2009, 12:18 PM   #46
Regular Crew

Thanks.

I came across a mint Nikon WC-E68 so have nabbed that to try. If it performs better than the JVC, I will eekbay the JVC.
Steve Cottrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2009, 12:41 AM   #47
Inner Circle

I had two Cavision wide-angle converters that had dust inside them, sent them both back. Bit it does go to show that when you're shooting at such short focal lengths there's the need to use good hoods, to keep the elements spotless, to use wide apertures and jettison any filters.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2009, 03:19 AM   #48
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Cottrell View Post
Thanks.

I came across a mint Nikon WC-E68 so have nabbed that to try. If it performs better than the JVC, I will eekbay the JVC.
The Nikon WC-E68 is worse than the JVC adapter, and better than the JVC adapter.

Worse than because the CA at the end of the bottle is shocking. Better than because the size is nice, it's slightly wider than the JVC, and the build quality is excellent with no dust inside.

Sigh. Nikon on the left, JVC on the right.

I might send the JVC off to be disassembled and cleaned.

Many thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
.7x Wide-Angle Converter from 16x9 for HM100 - Anyone used?-wide.jpg   .7x Wide-Angle Converter from 16x9 for HM100 - Anyone used?-close.jpg  

Old October 20th, 2009, 01:09 PM   #49
Regular Crew

Fitting the 16x9 WAL

I finally got around to trying the 16x9 WAL I bought for my HM100 as linked to at the start of the thread (from B&H).

But I couldn't get it on(!).

The threads never seemed to catch and I was worried about pushing it in. Any chance they have sent me the wrong thread size or does it just take a bit more bravery than I displayed?
John McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2009, 01:35 PM   #50
Regular Crew

It's a bit fiddly, but mine fits okay -- it seems to require more patience than pressure. If you're having to force it, then something isn't right. Might you have damaged the HM-100's 46mm threads with something else, such as a filter? Does the 16x9 fit onto a filter itself? And do other filters fit okay onto the cam? That would prove which part was the problem.
Paul Shapiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2009, 09:08 AM   #51
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Hardwick View Post
I had two Cavision wide-angle converters that had dust inside them, sent them both back. Bit it does go to show that when you're shooting at such short focal lengths there's the need to use good hoods, to keep the elements spotless, to use wide apertures and jettison any filters.
Agreed. Actually I'll keep the Nikon - it's tolerable when the camera is as wide as possible, and slightly wider (noticeably so) than the JVC. In fact used the Nikon today with the cam mounted on a car dash for interview with the driver (local news), worked a treat. I've had a quote of fifty quid to have the JVC adapter cleaned internally, which I would rather do than chance exchanging it for another with similar quality control problems - JVC go and kick some suppliers' butts! The JVC .7X is a good performer so hopefully when I get it back without the debris field on the rear of the front element - or the front of the rear element, which ever way round it is - I'll report back.

Meanwhile I will go back to salivating over a PMW-350 !!!

Cotty
Old February 23rd, 2010, 10:49 PM   #52
Sponsor: Schneider Optics

In case anyone is wondering about Century accessories for the HM100:

Century 46mm HD Series - Schneider Optics

Ryan Avery
Schneider Optics
Ryan Avery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2010, 10:03 PM   #53
Regular Crew

Century optics

I've been recommended this wide-angle adapter:

Century Optics .65X Wide Angle HD Converter with 43mm Full Zoom Adapter (OHD65CV43)

Has one tried this?
Old August 26th, 2010, 10:44 PM   #54
Regular Crew

Confused

ooopppssss!!! I am confused! 46 or 43 mm threads?

this model OHD65CV43
or this model 0HD-65CV-46 ?

Thanks.
Old August 27th, 2010, 12:02 AM   #55
Regular Crew

46mm thread
Andy Urtusuastegui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2010, 02:31 AM   #56
Regular Crew

thanks Andy!

:-)
Old November 6th, 2011, 02:11 PM   #57
New Boot

Re: .7x Wide-Angle Converter from 16x9 for HM100 - Anyone used?

Hi all, can anyone else verify that the Nikon WC-E68 wide angle converter is a good fit with the JVC GY HM100 without any adaptor rings?
I'm based in Germany and it seems they cost a fortune here so thinking of buying this one from the U.S: eBay: eBay: Neue und gebrauchte Elektronikartikel, Autos, Kleidung, Sammlerst?cke, Sportartikel und mehr ? alles zu g?nstigen Preisen
Is that the right one? I want to make sure it is truly going to fit and be effective because I probably can't return it if it isn't right.

Does anyone else have this same focus problem shown by Steve (above)?

Lastly, if you can suggest any other lenses that definitely fit and are good are cheap, then please let me know.

Thanks,
Kirsty
Kirsty Bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2011, 06:11 PM   #58
Major Player

Re: .7x Wide-Angle Converter from 16x9 for HM100 - Anyone used?

Hi Kirsty

I have the Nikon WC-E68 and it works well. There is a slight amount of smearing near the outer edges of the frame, and it doesn't feature complete zoom through, but it is shorter, lighter and less expensive than the one JVC offers (which optically isn't much or any better).

I think I've posted on other threads here about it.

-Keith
Keith Moreau is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems