GY-HM100 Features Wishlist at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 150 / 100 / 70 Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HM 150 / 100 / 70 Series Camera Systems
GY-HM150, HM100, HM70 recording AVCHD MP4 & QuickTime .MOV to SDHC cards.

Old August 30th, 2009, 05:56 PM   #1
Regular Crew

GY-HM100 Features Wishlist

This is a request JVC to implement enhancements to the GY-HM100.

If you have been reading this forum, you know most of us like the idea of the HM100, but we are frustrated with some of what we feel are serious short comings that should be able to be fixed by a firmware update.
  1. Refined zoom, somehow this should be able to be improved in firmware, perhaps as others have suggest 'zoom speed settings'. But also reducing the lag in the manual zoom wheel, it's pretty much impossible to do anything with any fineness with that thing.
  2. 1/120 shutter speed for 60fps
  3. LCD 'flip' mode for use with 35mm adapters.
  4. Histogram
  5. Intervalometer
  6. SD gridlines in LCD and viewfinder
  7. Safe area gridlines in LCD and viewfinder
  8. Interval Shooting
  9. Focus and Zoom display parameters

This is by no means a complete list but just a few that I have found on the forum.
I am sure others will add to the list.

Implementing these enhancements would not only improve the camera, but improve JVC's relationship with its customers.

If JVC has no intention of providing firmware updates, we would at least like the courtesy of being notified that no further firmware updates are planned or forthcoming.

Thank you.
Andy Urtusuastegui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2009, 06:26 PM   #2
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Urtusuastegui View Post
If JVC has no intention of providing firmware updates, we would at least like the courtesy of being notified that no further firmware updates are planned or forthcoming.

Thank you.
This would be much appreciated by me as well.
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2009, 07:50 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Urtusuastegui View Post
5. Intervalometer
8. Interval Shooting
This would be something HM700 owners, such as myself, would like as well.

Have Fun,
Jim.
James McBoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2009, 12:27 AM   #4
Wrangler

I have revised the title of this thread and made it sticky.

I would also like to add a feature request I've heard mentioned often.
  • Hard wired remote port (LANC or otherwise)
Old September 1st, 2009, 07:40 AM   #5
Regular Crew

One important thing for the HM700 will be
Time-Lapse-Recording, the other histogram.

-HDV-out via Firewire, not only SD.
-ProRes422-Recording

But also nice will be a CA-Correction
with the next firmwareupdate.

Let us wait for the next JVC invention
with the next firmwareupgrade.
Eric Deyerler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2009, 08:14 AM   #6
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Deyerler View Post
-HDV-out via Firewire, not only SD.
It already does that... but you need to record in the SP bitrates (19 or 25mbps) for HDV compatibility.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Deyerler View Post
-ProRes422-Recording
The ProRes bitrate is too high for practical acquisition of documentary, event, or news. I would instead wish for XDCAM EX in a 4:2:2 variant (XDCAM HD 422)... but that's really a request for Sony.
Old September 1st, 2009, 09:05 AM   #7
Regular Crew

I made some tests, the output over the firewire is only DV,
not HDV, downscaling works only with 19 and 25 Mbs.
The manual says the same!
I can work as HDV direct in a FCP-sequence
when I use the files direct from SDHC-card.

Many people think, the next upgrade includes
MP4 like HM100, but an XDCAM-codec like xdcam hd422
will be the best solution on work with 10x SDHC-cards.
Eric Deyerler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2009, 10:14 AM   #8
Wrangler

The HM700 doesn't have to downscale to DV via firewire in 19mbps and 25mbps modes. It can also output HDV at 1280x720 or 1440x1080. It cannot do this in 35mbps modes because that bitrate is outside of the HDV spec. You make the choice of either HDV stream or DV downconvert to NTSC/PAL by flipping the DV/HD switch.

I don't quite understand what your saying with your second statement? The HM700 can also record XDCAM EX in the MP4 wrapper if the SxS adapter is attached. The HM100 wraps XDCAM EX in either MOV or MP4.
With Class 10 media XDCAM HD422 is the logical next step. The question is whether Sony will ever license it for SDHC or allow it onto the SxS media? Maybe there will be a XDCAM EX 422 in the future?
Old September 1st, 2009, 10:23 AM   #9
Regular Crew

hot pixel fixing.

Pixel masking in the HM100 also would be very very very appreciated..

fixing hot pixels by pixel masking methods or any other way using the menus (as in HD100) ourselves without having to send out the camera to the dealer everytime.
Amir Jaffar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2009, 08:32 PM   #10
Major Player

I would also like to see the issue of the lens fixed. It could be solved by designing a wide angle attachment with threads for filters and plastic housing for sun shade.
Robert Rogoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2009, 03:06 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Better Shotgun for both 100 and 700

Please?
My 100 looks way cool with it's supplied plastic shotgun, but I now have to shell out for a Rode or similar to replace the supplied toy microphone.

Charles
Charles Wannop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2009, 09:31 AM   #12
New Boot

Well in fact they should just not include that shotgun, and drop the price. I agree. I'm a sound person by trade, and that mic is insulting. Cheap, it feels like a toy, and is hissy beyond use except for recording the very loudest stuff where the noise floor would be down very very low. But I replaced it right away, and might as well toss the plastic one away.

That was a joke, and ultimately made them look even worse I think. I mean, I couldn't believe how hissy that thing was. If this was again, a consumer camcorder, including a mic like that might be useful, and added to a $600 camera might have even seemed a bonus. But adding that P.O.S. to a $3500 camera as if it's 'Professional' to match the camera, sorry, that was a bad move.

I'm most interested in this thread in finding things that could be improved for those of us that HAVE the camera. I know a remote port, and reworking the threads on the lens, these are important. But won't give us that already shelled out thousands of dollars any satisfaction.

But in that initial list at the top (most of which was borrowed from my post, which I guess I feel is a tad rude, but OK whatever) could be accomplished in firmware. Let's hope that JVC sees that they have a restive group on their hands who really feel a tad ripped off here.

Someone else pointed out, would I really be less unhappy had I paid $2000, and the answer is most certainly. I understand that there are price points and features cost money. But this was NOT a cheap camera. And the fact is, that label 'professional' on the side, just because it's using XDCam compression, isn't enough. As so many are pointing out, a Professional camera intrinsically has certain features built in. Histogram. Gridlines i the viewfinder. Intervalometer. A USABLE ZOOM! :)

At this point I certainly can't recommend this camera to anyone. And until JVC somehow responds a bit to us (if they're really reading these forums) not sure I can recommend JVC at all at the moment. Like others, I simply want to know, does JVC ever plan to address any of these things, or is this camera locked off feature wise. If so, I have to sell it I think, and take a huge loss, which will make me probably wary of JVC forever.

It's all a real shame mostly because this camera really does have some great potential. It's just not there yet. Not for any Professional use.
Tim Nielsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2009, 11:09 AM   #13
Major Player

Tim, unfortunately LANC controller can't be added- however lens issue can be fixed with redesigned lens converter imo. Simply design a wide zoom through converter, with proper filter attachments up front and with sun shade. I would also urge JVC not to charge owners of HM100, but do it as a service (or at labor/parts costs), as this is a bad design issue.
Robert Rogoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2009, 01:03 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Tim, the original intent of my note was to list things that could be fixed in firmware.

I said in my note the list was from items I found on the board, and yes most were from your thread.

I did not mean to be rude.
Andy Urtusuastegui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2009, 01:12 PM   #15
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Nielsen View Post
(if they're really reading these forums)
They really are reading these forums. Trust me.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 150 / 100 / 70 Series Camera Systems