GY-HM100 Features Wishlist - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 150 / 100 / 70 Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HM 150 / 100 / 70 Series Camera Systems
GY-HM150, HM100, HM70 recording AVCHD MP4 & QuickTime .MOV to SDHC cards.

Old October 7th, 2009, 02:44 AM   #46
Regular Crew

JVC - I'd like one of your consumer based cameras to record in .mov at the same rates/modes as the HM100.

I need 3 cheaper cameras to abuse in difficult conditions and it is very hard to record at 50p with the HM100 as no consumer cameras will do this etc etc etc, I don't want to strap a £2800 camera to the chassis of my vehicle as I drive across sand dunes ;-)

Please make my life easier so you have the large HM700, medium sized HM100 and then a smaller consumer based camera or two all recording in the same formats etc!
John McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2009, 06:48 PM   #47
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Urtusuastegui View Post
This is a request JVC to implement enhancements to the GY-HM100.

Thank you.
A good list of requested enhancements.

To add to Andy's list I'd say extra focus aid would be good. The HM100s aid is quite good but sometimes doesn't work for me. I'd like to see focus magnification as in the Sony HD cameras.

With regards the HM100 in general, I don't have the same problems that some others seem to have with this camera. Its got limitations but then so does everything else. It's small, light, it shoots full HD in progressive and it does QT to SDCard – nothing else fits the bill at this time. I'd like to see JVC improve it and continue their commitment to challenge the big three in HD cameras.
Simon Lucas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2010, 08:52 PM   #48
Regular Crew

This thread has remained unchanged since November 2009. In this thread their are lots of excellent suggestions for JVC to implement in a firmware upgrade, yet, here it is February of 2010 and not one improvement on the original camera.

I am really disappointed with the effort JVC is putting into this product. Compared to Sony or Panasonic, who continually upgrade the EX and HPX lines, the sound of silence from JVC is deafening.

Just my two cents.
Dan Thomson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2010, 12:37 PM   #49
JVC America

Dan, we're always looking into making our products better, but there is a difference between implementing new features and a firmware upgrade.

When products are brought to market, they are built to perform within specifications where all of the components are capable of operating at a optimum functional level.
Firmware upgrades are designed to provide improvements to performance, and we've released a number of since the introduction of our camcorders. I hope you've been able to implement them as most of our users have.

Feature additions and changes are more complex and entails all aspects of the operation as well as the physical capabilities of the product. There are instances where certain features cannot be combined with others. As a reference point, the implementation of the XDCAM EX codec and .mov file wrapping capability is extremely complex.

Yes, this is an over-simplification, but I hope you understand the core of the message.

In my view, contrary to popular beliefs, there is no "conspiracy theory" about manufacturers holding back technology willfully. Having worked for two professional product manufacturers, one of them being Sony and managing the DVCAM line as well as the launch of HDV, I can tell you that the product engineers and designers ALWAYS "give it their all" to bring a model to market to the best of their ability. This is the same understanding and respect I give to all professional product manufacturers.

We really appreciate the constructive input being provided by the participants of DVInfo as it has given us invaluable feedback and insight for our future product design and feature implementation. I believe the progression from the GY-HD100 to the HM Series is a good indication of how far we all have come.

And, yes, we are constantly working to bring a better product to market. Thanks very much for your ongoing interest and support.

Sincerely,
Craig
Old February 20th, 2010, 06:26 PM   #50
Regular Crew

Thank you Craig for replying with a well thought out explanation. You have reassured me that JVC does indeed listen to it's customers.

The previous 4 pages of this thread indicate many requests and I acknowledge most of them fall outside of the "firmware" upgrade path. They are actual modifications or additions to the original design.

My gripe with JVC has to do with the speed control of the zoom lens. It is virtually impossible to predict the outcome of the zoom speed making it difficult to "pull" the zoom at any speed other than "full out". I need some way to preset the zoom speed. This is a basic function of any prosumer grade camcorder and an absolute necessity for working professionals. Given that the HM100U has three ways to control the zoom (stick, ring, and rocker), it is hard to fathom why the zoom control response curve is so tight.

That's it. The flimsy threads for the filters, no LANC port, low light performance, all of these items I knew about when I bought the camera - and for these items I accept responsibility. But the zoom control issue cannot possibly be "within specs" and it needs to be addressed in a firmware upgrade or as a warranty item.

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

Yours truly, Dan Thomson
Old February 23rd, 2010, 09:53 PM   #51
JVC America

Dan, I contacted the product team in Japan and inquired about the zoom function. The zoom function specifications are tied to the capabilities of the mechanisms you've identified, and the specs cannot be altered. The finite zoom action that you mentioned is something we'll be looking into in our future product design, as well as the other suggestions that have been posted throughout this thread.

This reply may not be satisfactory, but please know that we are aware of the request for a zoom action that has greater control with definable parameters.

Thanks very much again for your interest in the development of our camcorders.

Sincerely,
Craig
Old February 24th, 2010, 07:32 PM   #52
Regular Crew

Thank you Craig for taking the time to address this question. The result may not be the best, but at least I can move on with the product. I hope that you continue this type of dialogue in the DVinfo forums as it goes a long way to building and maintaining brand loyalty.

Sincerely yours,
Dan Thomson
Old April 5th, 2010, 04:03 PM   #53
Regular Crew

Move to HM100 Forum

Tim, can you move this sticky over to the new HM100 forum?

Thanks.
Andy Urtusuastegui is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 150 / 100 / 70 Series Camera Systems