Firmware update for GY-HM100 / GY-HM700 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems
GY-HM8xx, HM7xx and HM6xx ProHD camcorders & decks.

Old August 4th, 2009, 02:56 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Firmware update for GY-HM100 / GY-HM700

"Firmware Update
GY-HM100 / GY-HM700 Series Camcorders

More information regarding updating the firmware in these cameras will be available in late August 2009."

JVC Professional Customer Support - Perfect Experience Policy
John McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2009, 03:05 PM   #2
Regular Crew

At last! But will our wishlists be fulfilled?
Paul Shapiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2009, 04:19 PM   #3
New Boot

Just curious

What we're thinking / hoping for? I have a new HM100, not sure what I'd want them to fix in firmware (not saying there aren't things, just haven't figured them out yet)...

Tim
Tim Nielsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2009, 05:05 PM   #4
Major Player

On the HM100, there are a number of other threads that contain 'wishlists,' such more settings assigned to buttons (like OIS - bad miss on V1 of the software) and other less likely things like turning the focus ring into an aperture ring with the 'focus/zoom' switch, because I don't think anybody uses the ring for zooming and the fiddly-click per stop aperture adjustment doesn't cut it with a "Pro" camcorder as this unit is supposed to be.

But really I hope they address real bugs, like the OIS glitch where the image just suddenly jerks for no reason, and something recent that I just experienced (on another thread) where it seems that interlacing artifacts are embedded in the files.
Keith Moreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2009, 06:00 PM   #5
New Boot

Interesting, I don't find the zoom much, I sure wish it was a 'real' zoom and not the electric coupled thing, and why doesn't it zoom when you turn it to the RIGHT, not left :) It's backwards I tell ya.

I wonder if they could do a 'flip' for the LCD for anyone using a 35mm adaptor.

Yes, OIS on a button would be fantastic for sure, that's a good one.

Oh, and maybe they can fix the dreadful quality of the plastic toy mic they included, I mean, honestly why even bother including that thing, if they would have taken $5 off, I would have gladly taken in.

Enjoying my camera, still getting used to the 'motion' artifacts, shutter speed things, I'm a sound guy, so it's fun learning this stuff.
Tim Nielsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2009, 01:26 AM   #6
Regular Crew

How have JVC handled firmware updates previously? Can you download it and apply it yourself (on a mac)? Or does it need to be returned to a service centre?

I ask because I'm leaving for Africa on the first day of September and the update is due out at the end of August ;-)
John McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2009, 06:10 AM   #7
Regular Crew

I know I am hoping they will add Interval Recording (timelapse) to the HM700. The lack of it was the one minus point in my list of items for comparison when selecting which camera to upgrade to last month.

Have Fun,
Jim.
James McBoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2009, 07:15 AM   #8
Regular Crew

My favorite solution for an firmware upgrade is also timelapse-recording, it`s really important, the other will be negative gain, because when I shot in sunlight and
the filter is not enough!

Also want some users a ChromaticAberationCorrection. HDV-out via Firewire and something
else.
But let us see what really comes to us from JVC with the upgrade.
Because many salesmen from JVC read this forum-threads, I know it from some
German JVC-employees.
Eric Deyerler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2009, 04:28 PM   #9
HDV Cinema

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Deyerler View Post
My favorite solution for an firmware upgrade is also timelapse-recording, it`s really important, the other will be negative gain, because when I shot in sunlight and the filter is not enough!
I'm not sure if negative gain will help.

The ND filter cuts the light falling on the CCDs which prevents over-loading the CCDs. The loss of light, assuming a fixed shutter-speed, also will cause the iris to open -- which is good.

Negative gain will do one thing. Assuming a fixed shutter-speed, will cause the iris to open -- which is good.

So the question is WHY is the current ND filter "not enough?"

Are you worried the aperture is closing too much?

Or, are you seeing some kind of CCD blooming?

And, if you want the aperture to be more opem, a -3dB gain is onlt 1/2 a stop. Not a lost. JVC would really need -6dB.

That's why a mechanical filter with two ND filters is best. You may just have to use an external ND filter.
Old August 5th, 2009, 06:03 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by John McDonald View Post
How have JVC handled firmware updates previously? Can you download it and apply it yourself (on a mac)? Or does it need to be returned to a service centre?

I ask because I'm leaving for Africa on the first day of September and the update is due out at the end of August ;-)
Good question. I'm kind of hoping the firmware can be updated by copying the appropriate files to an SDHC card and going from there. It would kind of suck to have to get it done at a service centre.
Anthony Shera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2009, 06:39 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Well here is one thing JVC is putting in the upcoming firmware update...

Here I quote from the FAQ Section of the JVC Pro Site...

JVC Pro FAQ

"... ... ...Recently several manufacturers (SanDisk, Panasonic, Adata) have introduced faster SDHC cards with a new Class 10 rating. While this is a good thing, the Class 10 specification was not available when the cameras were introduced in March 2009. JVC is developing a firmware update that will allow Class 10 cards to be used in both models. This new firmware should be available sometime in August 2009... ... ..."

Steve,
Bethlehem, Pa
Steve J. Nordahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2009, 06:48 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve J. Nordahl View Post
Well here is one thing JVC is putting in the upcoming firmware update...

Here I quote from the FAQ Section of the JVC Pro Site...

JVC Pro FAQ

"Recently several manufacturers (SanDisk, Panasonic, Adata) have introduced faster SDHC cards with a new Class 10 rating. While this is a good thing, the Class 10 specification was not available when the cameras were introduced in March 2009. JVC is developing a firmware update that will allow Class 10 cards to be used in both models. This new firmware should be available sometime in August 2009..."

Steve,
Bethlehem, Pa
It doesn't sound like anything else is going to be fixed. I sure hope they do address the OIS glitch and the intermittent recording of interlaced fields in the 1080p mode. Also, can someone here please tell me the benefit of SDHC Class 10 cards when I've had no problem with Class 6? Does it just mean data will transfer more quickly to the computer?
Anthony Shera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2009, 07:43 PM   #13
Regular Crew

I saw my dealer's repair tech today (regarding a stuck pixel on my HM-700 LCD), and he's going to ask JVC about the firmware update for me, including if it's done at the dealer, via the end-user, or has to be sent in, etc.
Bob Richardson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2009, 04:51 AM   #14
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Mullen View Post
Negative gain will do one thing. Assuming a fixed shutter-speed, will cause the iris to open -- which is good.

So the question is WHY is the current ND filter "not enough?"

Are you worried the aperture is closing too much?

Or, are you seeing some kind of CCD blooming?

And, if you want the aperture to be more opem, a -3dB gain is onlt 1/2 a stop. Not a lost. JVC would really need -6dB.
Steve, let me correct one statement: -3dB is log (1/2), hence a full f-stop. f-stops on the lens are steps of factor 2 in aperture. The f-numbers have to be squared to relate to the effective area of the lens aperture.

Erich
Erich Gabbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2009, 12:40 PM   #15
Regular Crew

I really hope they put in an option in HM100 menus for fixing dead pixels .. because I get a feeling it's going to be a recurring problem in the camera. Would be really a pain to take it to a dealer every time to fix it, and more so once the warranty runs out.

added later..
The guys at JVC in Singapore are updating the firmware on my HM100, so I assume it must be available elsewhere too. Just FYI

Last edited by Amir Jaffar; August 18th, 2009 at 06:50 AM. Reason: Updating the post
Amir Jaffar is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems