Sony tape rewinding problem at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line

The Long Black Line
Tape, tape and more tape; and decks; HDV, DV, VHS and more.

Old October 25th, 2007, 02:35 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Sony tape rewinding problem

In the past month, I have encountered an issue with all three of my Sony cameras. If the tapes are recorded beyond the 30-40 minute point, the cameras cannot rewind them. The C32:23 error occurs when attempting to rewind the tape, and the tape must be ejected. When this happens with the FX1, the eject mechanism moves slowly and sometimes gets stuck altogether, remedied by gently pressing down on the tape carraige. In all cases, there is visible crinkling on the outside edge of the tape after ejecting.

I have found a way to rewind without encountering the problem, by 'seeking' rather than 'fast' rewinding (IE, holding down the rewind button during playback). There are no problems in playback or recording.

I have only been using brand-new, sealed Sony premium tapes. I am wondering if it is possible that a large block of Sony tapes are either defective or had a design change. It is as if the 'fast' rewind causes a jam of some sort. It is remarkable that all three of my cameras have this same problem with recent Sony tapes purchased in the past few weeks.

I've read a few forums describing the remedy to the problem is to 'whack' the camera on the side. No way am I doing that! Especially since all of the cams are doing the same thing, the problem points to the tapes.

Wondered if anyone else has ecountered this.
Dan Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2007, 07:02 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Call me crazy, but have you taken maybe a different brand tape, one that is recorded from a 'non crucial' project and see if it stops then. If it doesn't, I think you'd be on track to say you may have a bad batch of tapes, or maybe take the ones that are jaming now and try to rewind them in a different camera. I dunno, tape issues scare me to death.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line