DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The Long Black Line (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/long-black-line/)
-   -   Recording over previously used tape (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/long-black-line/145006-recording-over-previously-used-tape.html)

Bob Poole March 3rd, 2009 12:36 PM

Recording over previously used tape

I have just started recording and editing video again after almost 9 years. I remember hearing back then that it was risky recording over a MiniDV tape which already had video on it. Tapes are pretty cheap, and normally using new all the time wouldn't be a concern for me. Lately, I have been asked by some local musicians to record their jam sessions at local venues. It is adding up to two or three tapes per session, several times a week. Now it is beginning to seem like a real expense.

What are the groups feelings about rerecording MiniDV?

Thanks

Bob

Shaun Roemich March 3rd, 2009 02:19 PM

I'd be asking the musicians to foot the bill for virgin tape. Bought in large quantities, DV tape can be got very cheaply.

Gabor Heeres March 5th, 2009 05:13 AM

Which camera do you use? If it's a Sony I would recommend you the Sony Premium Mini-DV tapes and use them only once. Only with the more expensive DVCAM and Digital Master tapes it is advisable to use them more than one time.

Bob Poole March 5th, 2009 10:59 AM

It is a Canon, but I have always used the Sony Premiums. Thanks to all, and after browsing through some other thereads, I'm convinced to use the tapes only once.

Pete Cofrancesco March 17th, 2009 09:39 PM

This has been talked about previously and the consensus was yes you can. I've never had a problem using a tape a couple of times. The main problem with tapes is drop frames, which is caused by dirt/dust on the heads or on the tape.

Everyone has their standards. For me if I'm taping something like a 30 second commercial or anything very short I prefer new tapes because a 1 dropped frame is very noticeable compared to 2 hr concert. When I do a 3 camera shoot of a 2 hr performance, that can be 6 to 9 tapes so sometimes i reuse because if something goes wrong you've got 2 other cameras to switch to. The other factor is how much I'm getting paid. For a $1,000 wedding what's the point of shaving a few dollars by reusing tapes. The other thing is the age of the tape, after a few years I'm not going to risk using it.

In my experience, old, worn, or dirty play heads have more to do with problems than reusing tapes. Most ppl do whatever gives them peace of mind.

Ron Little March 27th, 2009 07:26 AM

Tapes come with three labels so I use them three times. The last time is for archive. I have never had a problem with this and it really makes the tape a good deal.

Mark Holland March 27th, 2009 08:50 AM

For what it's worth, I shoot weddings almost every week-end and NEVER reuse a tape.

I agree with Shaun. If you're not being compensated in some way, the LEAST the bands should do is pay for the tapes!

Mark

David W. Jones April 2nd, 2009 06:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Poole (Post 1021538)
I have just started recording and editing video again after almost 9 years. I remember hearing back then that it was risky recording over a MiniDV tape which already had video on it. Tapes are pretty cheap, and normally using new all the time wouldn't be a concern for me. Lately, I have been asked by some local musicians to record their jam sessions at local venues. It is adding up to two or three tapes per session, several times a week. Now it is beginning to seem like a real expense.

What are the groups feelings about rerecording MiniDV?

Thanks

Bob

If it's a business... then tape is a business expense.
If it's a hobby, and the cost of tape is too much for you... find a cheaper hobby!

Steven Swanson May 19th, 2009 10:31 PM

I took a few broadcasting classes about a year ago at one of the colleges I went to. We always did a live show, except for the weather, which we would go outside and tape and just play that back. We always shot the weather on one of about 8 Canon XL2 cameras using the exact same tape. Most people would just rewind the tape the start and start shooting there just so they could rewind back and find it easily. If I remember correctly, 5-6 shows a week had a weather segment, and they used that same tape for the whole year I was there. That tape was recorded over probably 100+ times and they never had a problem. A few times we would have dropped frames, but that was mostly due to dirty heads. Changing the camera usually did the trick.

I'm pretty sure it was a panasonic tape. I have no idea how it got used so many times with out any problems, but I was amazed when I found out they use the same tape over and over again.

Personally, I never use the same tape over again just for archival purposes. I learned my lesson the hard way when I accidentally deleted my backup and primary copies of a tape while changing around some hard drives. Lost around 75% of the raw video a (completed) project me and my friends did.

Bill Pryor May 20th, 2009 04:00 PM

It's true that you might be able to reuse tapes numerous times with no trouble, but it's also true that you can get dropouts the second time through. If the footage is important, then new tapes only make sense. I use Sony PHDVM Digital Mastering tapes, which are pretty expensive, but I've never had a dropout. I also know people who use the Sony Premiums, which are cheap, and they don't have dropouts either. I also used Sony PDV DVCAM tapes for about 8 years before switching to the XH A1, and never saw a dropout with two different cameras and hundreds of hours of tapes. I'm sold on Sony tapes, but you also need to follow good procedures...keep tapes in the box until time to load the camera, don't load or unload in dusty conditions, don't store a tape in the camera for weeks, etc.