Recording over previously used tape at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The Long Black Line
Tape, tape and more tape; and decks; HDV, DV, VHS and more.

Old March 3rd, 2009, 12:36 PM   #1
Tourist

Recording over previously used tape

I have just started recording and editing video again after almost 9 years. I remember hearing back then that it was risky recording over a MiniDV tape which already had video on it. Tapes are pretty cheap, and normally using new all the time wouldn't be a concern for me. Lately, I have been asked by some local musicians to record their jam sessions at local venues. It is adding up to two or three tapes per session, several times a week. Now it is beginning to seem like a real expense.

What are the groups feelings about rerecording MiniDV?

Thanks

Bob
Bob Poole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2009, 02:19 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
I'd be asking the musicians to foot the bill for virgin tape. Bought in large quantities, DV tape can be got very cheaply.
Old March 5th, 2009, 05:13 AM   #3
Major Player

Which camera do you use? If it's a Sony I would recommend you the Sony Premium Mini-DV tapes and use them only once. Only with the more expensive DVCAM and Digital Master tapes it is advisable to use them more than one time.
Gabor Heeres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2009, 10:59 AM   #4
Tourist

It is a Canon, but I have always used the Sony Premiums. Thanks to all, and after browsing through some other thereads, I'm convinced to use the tapes only once.
Bob Poole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2009, 09:39 PM   #5
Inner Circle

This has been talked about previously and the consensus was yes you can. I've never had a problem using a tape a couple of times. The main problem with tapes is drop frames, which is caused by dirt/dust on the heads or on the tape.

Everyone has their standards. For me if I'm taping something like a 30 second commercial or anything very short I prefer new tapes because a 1 dropped frame is very noticeable compared to 2 hr concert. When I do a 3 camera shoot of a 2 hr performance, that can be 6 to 9 tapes so sometimes i reuse because if something goes wrong you've got 2 other cameras to switch to. The other factor is how much I'm getting paid. For a $1,000 wedding what's the point of shaving a few dollars by reusing tapes. The other thing is the age of the tape, after a few years I'm not going to risk using it.

In my experience, old, worn, or dirty play heads have more to do with problems than reusing tapes. Most ppl do whatever gives them peace of mind.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2009, 07:26 AM   #6
Major Player

Tapes come with three labels so I use them three times. The last time is for archive. I have never had a problem with this and it really makes the tape a good deal.
Ron Little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2009, 08:50 AM   #7
Major Player

Location: Central North Carolina (Raleigh, Durham, & surrounding areas)
For what it's worth, I shoot weddings almost every week-end and NEVER reuse a tape.

I agree with Shaun. If you're not being compensated in some way, the LEAST the bands should do is pay for the tapes!

Mark
Old April 2nd, 2009, 06:32 AM   #8
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Poole View Post
I have just started recording and editing video again after almost 9 years. I remember hearing back then that it was risky recording over a MiniDV tape which already had video on it. Tapes are pretty cheap, and normally using new all the time wouldn't be a concern for me. Lately, I have been asked by some local musicians to record their jam sessions at local venues. It is adding up to two or three tapes per session, several times a week. Now it is beginning to seem like a real expense.

What are the groups feelings about rerecording MiniDV?

Thanks

Bob
If it's a business... then tape is a business expense.
If it's a hobby, and the cost of tape is too much for you... find a cheaper hobby!
David W. Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2009, 10:31 PM   #9
New Boot

I took a few broadcasting classes about a year ago at one of the colleges I went to. We always did a live show, except for the weather, which we would go outside and tape and just play that back. We always shot the weather on one of about 8 Canon XL2 cameras using the exact same tape. Most people would just rewind the tape the start and start shooting there just so they could rewind back and find it easily. If I remember correctly, 5-6 shows a week had a weather segment, and they used that same tape for the whole year I was there. That tape was recorded over probably 100+ times and they never had a problem. A few times we would have dropped frames, but that was mostly due to dirty heads. Changing the camera usually did the trick.

I'm pretty sure it was a panasonic tape. I have no idea how it got used so many times with out any problems, but I was amazed when I found out they use the same tape over and over again.

Personally, I never use the same tape over again just for archival purposes. I learned my lesson the hard way when I accidentally deleted my backup and primary copies of a tape while changing around some hard drives. Lost around 75% of the raw video a (completed) project me and my friends did.
Steven Swanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2009, 04:00 PM   #10
Contributor

It's true that you might be able to reuse tapes numerous times with no trouble, but it's also true that you can get dropouts the second time through. If the footage is important, then new tapes only make sense. I use Sony PHDVM Digital Mastering tapes, which are pretty expensive, but I've never had a dropout. I also know people who use the Sony Premiums, which are cheap, and they don't have dropouts either. I also used Sony PDV DVCAM tapes for about 8 years before switching to the XH A1, and never saw a dropout with two different cameras and hundreds of hours of tapes. I'm sold on Sony tapes, but you also need to follow good procedures...keep tapes in the box until time to load the camera, don't load or unload in dusty conditions, don't store a tape in the camera for weeks, etc.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line