Tried the new Panny AMQs? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The Long Black Line
Tape, tape and more tape; and decks; HDV, DV, VHS and more.

Old May 17th, 2009, 10:11 PM   #1
Major Player

Tried the new Panny AMQs?

Mini rant, + a couple questions

So I'm placing an order for some Panny AMQs and notice these new huge cases they use. At first I thought this was the wrong tape, then I read the description, and sure enough it said "Panasonic...mini DV." So ok, new tape I guess. Then I start thinking, man, currently I stuff a small box with about 50 tapes for archiving. These huge cases will not fit 50 in a little cardboard box! I am going to have to get a bookshelf to archive these things!

Another thing, are the cases easy to open? On shoots I usually carry a couple tapes in my pocket, and I can easily grab one and open it up with one hand. I mean, did Panasonic change anything with the tape itself, or is it just a new case?

Well it's late and im tired, hopefully my jumbled thoughts make a little sense. Just wanted to know if anyone else shares my...what is the word...i dunno, mini rant over.

JS
John Stakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2009, 02:14 PM   #2
Contributor

Looks like just the new case (which I think is unfortunate because I've had trouble with those tapes). I like these types of cases better--I now use Sony PHDVM63 which come in the same kind of case. You don't have to screw around trying to unwrap the plastic they use on the little cases, and these protect the tape better. Also the label on the case is big enough to write on and the bigger size makes them easier to spot, less danger of loss. Lots of people use these tapes with no problems. They were fine for me until we had a case of bad ones, and dropouts showed up on two different cameras from more than half the tapes in a case of 10. Hopefully whatever problems that were going on then have been solved. This was in mid-2007.

Oh yeah, these cases are easy to open too.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2009, 11:10 AM   #3
Major Player

Well Bill if they [the cases] are ok with you, then they are ok with me. I love the Panny tapes, just also loved the convenience of being able to stuff 4 of them in my pocket if needed. My order should be here in a couple hours, and I have a shoot tomorrow. Will see how it works out.

JS
Old May 21st, 2009, 07:55 PM   #4
Major Player

I bought a bunch of the new Panny tapes and am appalled at the cases. The guy at B and H said that "professionals" prefer them because they protect the cassette. What are these professionals doing? Dropping them off the Empire State building? I have always stored my tapes in old wooden wine boxes (perfect fit, and fun to acquire). These new ones don't fit. Does anyone know where to find just the old-style empty cases?
Steve Siegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2009, 09:28 AM   #5
Major Player

For the first time, I actually ordered my tapes from another source (other than B&H). Reason being simply they were cheaper, and I was working on a gig in which I had to pay out of pocket. They actually sent me the regular sized cases!!! Though I am sure they are just depleting their stock...and that may also be the reason for the cheaper prices. I only bought a box from them, but I may go back for more.

JS
Old May 26th, 2009, 06:01 PM   #6
Major Player

Got em, love em! So far 0 drop outs! :D

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line