Tape Stock at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The Long Black Line
Tape, tape and more tape; and decks; HDV, DV, VHS and more.

Old August 20th, 2005, 08:18 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Tape Stock

I'm interested in knowing what type of tape brand most people are using, and if you are experiencing any problems with a certain brand?
Many Thanks, Aldo
Aldo Visaggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2005, 08:24 AM   #2
Regular Crew

i am also strugling with this question, but the usual brand that are being recommended here is either a sony premium or a panasonic 63MQ/63PQ. try searching, there has been many discussion with this.
Leonardo Silva Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2005, 09:45 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Long discussions in the Long Black Line thread and after reading all the posts and researching the products I decided to go with the Panasonic 63MQ/63PQ and the Maxell DVM60 because both use the same “Metal Evaporation” technology phrase to describe their product. I figure Panasonic makes both.
Old August 20th, 2005, 09:54 AM   #4
Inner Circle

they dont.. Pana make the JVC Pro tapes however, but thats about it.. and its something i expected from JVC's brother company either way...

as for MQs and PQ, MQs run a dry lube which is safer for headwear and PQs are a wet lube. Both are technically the same stock, the only difference being lubricant.
Lubricants would be determined by the camera you use.. for a canon or Sony Standard def cam, i would recommend the PQ as these heads are a little more robust than the Pana JVC, to which i would say go the MQ's

for hdv, i wouldnt consider anything else apart from an MQ.. not even the SOny Pro tapes can stand up to the MQs.. of teh 6 Sony tapes iev used in the Z1s, dropouts occured, whereas with the MQ's i didnt have one single problem
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2005, 10:19 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Jefferson
they dont.. Pana make the JVC Pro tapes however, but thats about it.. and its something i expected from JVC's brother company either way...

as for MQs and PQ, MQs run a dry lube which is safer for headwear and PQs are a wet lube. Both are technically the same stock, the only difference being lubricant.
Lubricants would be determined by the camera you use.. for a canon or Sony Standard def cam, i would recommend the PQ as these heads are a little more robust than the Pana JVC, to which i would say go the MQ's

for hdv, i wouldnt consider anything else apart from an MQ.. not even the SOny Pro tapes can stand up to the MQs.. of teh 6 Sony tapes iev used in the Z1s, dropouts occured, whereas with the MQ's i didnt have one single problem

Thanks Pete. So would Maxell be wet like the PQ's? They were the only two to use that Metal Evaporation phrase (Panny saying it was their original technology), so perhaps Masxell leases the technology from them. I am trying to have two different tape sources- the Maxells from Sam’s Club and the PQ’s from a bulk online service.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line