Help!--lubricant issues when using old video cam as deck? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The Long Black Line
Tape, tape and more tape; and decks; HDV, DV, VHS and more.

Old April 23rd, 2007, 10:12 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Help!--lubricant issues when using old video cam as deck?

I just realized that my careful efforts to use only one lubricant type in my JVC HD110 might all be for nothing as I have been using my old PVGS400 as a deck -- i used to use all sorts of tape (sony, TDK) on my GS400 and i have been taking tapes from my HD110, playing them back on my GS400, and then putting them back into my JVCHD110 for further recording.

This is not my future workflow, but im just currently messing around with short tests. I have only done this for about 20 minutes of video.

Do you think i have contaminated the heads of my JVC HD110 with this cross-pollination of camcorder heads?

Any insight would be appreciated. I myself for not thinking of that small detail.

Brian
Old April 24th, 2007, 04:12 PM   #2
Trustee

From my experience this whole issue gets more press than it deserves. A head cleaning tape run for a few seconds in your old deck should remove all causes for concern.
Bob Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2007, 09:59 PM   #3
Regular Crew

All right. Good to hear. I've been made paranoid...partly because of this forum. ;)

thanks for easing my mind a bit
Old April 25th, 2007, 05:19 PM   #4
Major Player

Oh NOOoooooo!

Now you've done it. Didn't we WARN YOU! Didn't we TELL YOU!

I quite fear that only the Munchausen Maneuver can save you now.

You must take your HD110 (You did say 110 didn't you. - If only ... well too late now, nevermind)... You must take your hapless cam in the dead of moonless night, to a graveyard where absolutely no videographers lie.

Backing carefully towards the center of interrment, recording with the lens cap ON but with the PROPER tape, shutter set to 1/24, NOT 1/25 MIND YOU, ... pausing at each step (record pause that is) you must shout "lub.. lub.. lubadub", and then unpause. (both... well you know)

As you reach the most towering stone in the darkest heart of the necropolis, you must begin whispering "munchy ... munchy... munchy ... munchy "... gradually building in volume and tempo until (and this must be timed quite precisely) at the stroke of midnight you scream "MUNCHAUSEN UNLUB US" heaving the defiled mechanism over your left shoulder, and RUN FOR YOR LIFE!

That should fix it.
Brad Tyrrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2007, 12:07 AM   #5
Regular Crew

:D

Thanks for the laugh...that does seem to be the attitude around here sometimes...

;)
Old April 26th, 2007, 07:25 AM   #6
Major Player

Seriously though... there does seem to be a problem with switching brands.

I had to have parts in my XL1 replaced by Canon about every 8-10 months for the first couple of years I had it using "whatever" tapes.

Then I took the "don't switch" advice and haven't had it in to the repair center since. (I just upgraded to the Xh-A1 so am not using it anymore)

Doesn't really "proove" anything I suppose, but I'm convinced.

Probably the next generation of cams will all be "tapeless" anyway.
Brad Tyrrell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line