Need help identifing this connector at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The Long Black Line
Tape, tape and more tape; and decks; HDV, DV, VHS and more.

Old July 2nd, 2007, 01:04 AM   #1
Major Player

Need help identifing this connector

I am trying to test an old Sony AV 3600 EIAJ video reel recorder. The AC plug on the back is round. I have a couple of these recorders without AC cords and want to use them for some transfers . Any one know the specific name of the plug on the lower right?
Attached Images

Glenn Davidson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2007, 02:43 AM   #2
Trustee

It might be an old / obsolete Amphenol LNE connector. They were very popular back then but at least in this country were 'banned' for some electrical safety issue. I've still got heaps of them lying around but getting one to you might be an issue.

If all else fails you could probably get someone with reasonable electrical skills to remove the socket and run a length of power flex into the unit. Might need a small plate to cover the hole with a grommet to secure the new lead.
Bob Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2007, 02:02 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks for the info. I will continue to search ebay and electronic surplus.
I like your idea to modify the unit. I have seen pictures of other av3600s that had been modified. If I cannot find the proper AC cord, I will probably go that route.
Old July 4th, 2007, 04:46 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Slightly off-topic, if you get a dead drum motor ith the smaller 1/2" portapacks, chances are, foam dampers which are cast or glued into the full elliptical brush springs have rotted and shrunk which pulls the brushes away from the commutator.
Bob Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2007, 06:32 PM   #5
Major Player

To me, it looks like a standard North American 3-pin male line connector. (I've an electric weed-whacker with the same thing.) The connector to its left looks like the female counterpart.

So, you should be able to use a standard 3-pin extension cord.

EDIT: You may have to fabricate a cord since the socket is round rather than the usual squarish. Places like Lowes and the Home Depot sell a variety of male 115V connectors.
John Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2007, 07:06 PM   #6
Major Player

I tried the standard extension cord but the OD of the socket is too small. Pin out is correct though. I did come across this site with lots of cool vintage equipment. Something appealing about these old boat anchors.

http://www.labguysworld.com/VTR-Museum_003.htm
Old July 4th, 2007, 11:13 PM   #7
Inner Circle

If the pin out is correct and the business end of the extension cord is too large, a sharp knife judiciously applied to the corners on the end of the cord may do the trick!
Jim Andrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2007, 09:45 PM   #8
Trustee

ask an industrial electrician...they have access to tons of different plug end types...you could perhaps even get one from them. We had to get a M/F locking NEMA plug for the last place I worked and splice it onto a server cabinet in a wiring closet to protect it from being unplugged (and provide the right power). The electricians came back with it after ordering it in about 2-3 days.
Old July 6th, 2007, 07:24 AM   #9
Major Player

This is most likely what you need:

http://www.interpower.com/scripts/cg..._part=88030110

The page also has a .PDF file with a drawing.

The dimensions on the page are in mm.

The diameter of the connector is 34.3mm (1.35").

$16.93 for one.
John Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2007, 05:22 PM   #10
Major Player

This socket is 32mm. Someone said a cord like this was also used on older HP test equipment circa 1970, before the IEC standard. Thanks for the replies. The hunt continues...
Glenn Davidson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line