Sanyo HD1 - New Samples - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > (MPG4) Sanyo Xacti (all models)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

(MPG4) Sanyo Xacti (all models)
A compact 720p MPEG4 digital media camera recording to SD Card.

Old June 11th, 2006, 07:35 AM   #46
Regular Crew

Footage from France

Hi,

I am coming back from holiday and finally, I had the opportunity to test my HD1.

First impression: I didn't find enough motivation to shoot stabilized by mean of a tripod. Most of the time, I shooted holding the cam in one hand. It's a pity due to the shaking aspects I have to deal with.

Result: 70' footage, a lot (300) of pictures which are looking pretty sharp and are giving full satisfaction.
On the other hand, I have the feeling that I definitely never come close to Carlos footage quality.

Up to now, I did only monitor the clips directly from the HD1 connected to a 50" Pioneer plasma. Results are satisfactory although too much rushes are shaking.
On the other hand, I don't find the footage really sharp on my DELL 20"

Just to give you an idea, here are 2 of them:

http://files.filefront.com/SANY0080M.../fileinfo.html
http://files.filefront.com/SANY0360M.../fileinfo.html

Most of the time, the settings were approximately as described earlier in this forum.

Thanks for your comments.

Erick
Old June 18th, 2006, 02:55 AM   #47
New Boot

I've been collection some raw HD1 footage for the last few months and have been trying to use it to make a decent movie but I quickly found out iMovie just doesn't work if you want some originality and are thinking out side the limited themes. I have since taken the plunge and gotten Fincal Cut.. omg! it can actually do what I have in my head! Here's the results of my very first Final Cut edit from footage taken on my last trip to NYC and SFO (where the whole trip felt like I was in either a plane or an airport)... http://static.talentlessclown.com/RaceAroundUSA2006.mov I'm not 100% happy with the edit (there are some bits that need cleaning up as they feel out of place, like the surfing shot and the neon sign) but I promised myself I would stop editing for the night and get some sleep :) And I now know I can just reopen the project and fix it without any pain! did I say I love Final Cut? :)
Old June 18th, 2006, 12:22 PM   #48
Regular Crew

Scott,

WOW, very cool, though Im not sure if its a testament to your HD1, final cut pro, or plainly your energy putting the stuff together. (smile)

But its nice. and I don't find the sufer out of place.. the neon maybe but not the sufer.. :-)

Thank you for the link..!

Bo

www.bophoto.com/HDV
Old June 18th, 2006, 01:44 PM   #49
Regular Crew

Scott,

I have Quick Time updated but can't read your file. What kind of software do I need?
Old June 19th, 2006, 07:10 AM   #50
Inner Circle

Scott, that was great. A real advertisement for the camera, I announce thee, Sanyo HD1, the minimum, acceptable, quality for HD.

The surfer and neon, go excellently with what you are trying to do, they provide a good contrast of the trip, that is a bit arty but nice looking at the same time. The inside from the arched windows is less appealing, but I don't really have too much against that either. It is more like something to contrast the music, which is excellent, which means your clip is almost as good.

Good on you.
Old June 19th, 2006, 10:23 AM   #51
New Boot

Wow. Awesome video Scott! FCP is a great piece of software.

I really like the multiple videos going on at once. Is that a FCP exclusive feature or can other software do that?

Since I am running Windows XP, I wonder if Avid or Premiere or (?) has a similar feature. I would love to try it out!
Old June 25th, 2006, 04:29 PM   #52
New Boot

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Erick: quicktime 7 or latest VLC will play the file (it's a H.264/AAC mov)

Carlos: Most post production software will allow for multiple video streams at once, so it's not a Final Cut exclusive :)

I've also just edited together some more HD1 footage from a trip to Italy (I sound all jetsety and travelled, but it's not true :)). We went up a cable car from Courmayeur to see Mont Blanc, and we sort of weren't ready for just how light headed we would get up there :) http://static.talentlessclown.com/FirstToFly.mov
Old June 26th, 2006, 03:41 AM   #53
Regular Crew

Scott -- What version of FCP are you using? Are you importing the HD1 footage directly into the program? When I have gone to the Apple Store with my HD1 footage, I could not get the FCP on display to recognize the MP4 files. The store does not yet have the new universal version installed (! This is the store in Palo Alto that Steve Jobs visits regularly !) so I have been using iMovie and biding my time. How long does rendering into H.264 take? My attempts in Quicktime Pro have taken something like 20 times the running time of the footage (rendering in 1280 X 720), whereas rendering into Apple Intermediate HD takes about 2X.
Old June 26th, 2006, 04:30 AM   #54
New Boot

I got Final Cut Express HD 3.5 (the universal version) running on my iMac. I simply drag the mp4 files directly into the project (or use import>files) and it reads them perfectly. Rendering and exporting to H.264 isn't real time but I haven't timed it to know what factor it runs at. I do all my basic editing using the real time approximations to check how I'm going and occasionally render short bits near transitions to get an idea if it's going to work and then let it render while I'm doing something else to check the entire edit. As a rule I let it export to H.264 overnight while I sleep :) It doesn't take all night but it does get me to stop editing and actually sleep, if it was instant I think I'd just tinker all night, never call a project "done" and get myself a sleeping disorder :)
Old June 26th, 2006, 11:28 AM   #55
Regular Crew

Thai Kickboxing - handheld iso 200

I can't believe Im doing this.. But here it is.. Sunday morning 2am I was at a kickboxing fight in North Hollywood, when these two guys on in the ring the crowd did go positively wild... So I pulled out the HD1 just in time... 13 seconds later it was game over.

Check it out at www.bophoto.com/HDV/video - WARNING - this is almost 90megs..!

Shot handheld, iso200 anti shake turned on. color balance using the warmbalance cards "minus green" for flourecent light. a little magenta but much better than what it looked like with the cameras standard setting.

In retrospect I think it could have shot at iso100 and hold a bit more highlights.. But it still capture the feel very well of the action.

Bo

www.bophoto.com/HDV

Last edited by Bo Lorentzen; June 26th, 2006 at 01:48 PM.
Old June 26th, 2006, 11:46 AM   #56
New Boot

Sanyo says lense mechanism problem

Just called Sanyo and they gave me addres to have fixed. they said that all the orginal batch of hd1 has the bad lense mech. They have replaced the problem lenses with the new ones they are sending out.
Old June 26th, 2006, 06:02 PM   #57
Major Player

Even though some still may consider this camera as a "toy" , actually people forget that it is progressive camera. And try as you might progressive motion is darn good!

Anhar
Old June 29th, 2006, 02:26 PM   #58
Tourist

Virtual Dub

Carlos,

You mentioned a few post back about editing your files in Virtual Dub after converting them with MP4aAVIEdit. When I try this I get an error in VD that is saying "Couldn't locate decompressor for format 'MP4V' (unknown)".

Do you know where I can download this codec... google wasn't much help.

Right now I am converting them to Huffy through the program... but that takes forever and generates HUGE files on the longer clips.

And to keep with the threads topic here are two videos of my 1 week old daughter. Videos were converted with MP4aAVIEdit, 2:1 high quality scaling reduction, saved out as Huffy, then converted to Flash 8 video at 700kbs.

Kiara in her rocker (camera is placed at her feet)
http://www.evilfree.com/andrea/blog/video/rocker.html

Playing with our baby
http://www.evilfree.com/andrea/blog/video/tickels.html
(this would look much better if the camera wasn't moving so much)

I know that I can get some beautiful flash video once I get a chance to go through some of my other shots. The 2:1 reduction really cleans up everything and gets rid of the noise, and you are still left with 640x360 progressive image... very high for web video.

Also people have mentioned editing their videos with Vegas. Does Vegas accept the mp4 file natively or must they first be converted into another format. Does any PC editing software natively support the mp4 files?

Thanks so much!
Adam Schroeder
Old June 30th, 2006, 05:59 PM   #59
Regular Crew

Adam,

I think you only need the DivX codec, but to ensure compatibility, try to install a codec pack, like K-lite. Search for "codec pack" in google.

You can edit the original clips with Vegas, but i donīt know if the software uses its own codecs or uses the installed codecs in Windows. Codec Pack again:-)

Thanks for your clips.

Enjoy!
Old July 1st, 2006, 12:45 PM   #60
Tourist

Sample - Macro of Baby Grasshoppers

I had the HD1 for less than a week when I took this video. Thanks to all, your samples convinced me to buy this camera and I LOVE IT. Glad I found this site, as the reviews made it sound as thought I'd be watching grainy out of focus video...boy are they WRONG!!!!

http://files.filefront.com/Grasshopp.../fileinfo.html

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > (MPG4) Sanyo Xacti (all models)