nexto or hyperdrive? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Nexto DI Mobile Storage Solutions
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Nexto DI Mobile Storage Solutions
Pro Video NVS2500 and other Nexto DI location backup devices.

Old May 25th, 2010, 02:04 AM   #1
Major Player

nexto or hyperdrive?

any suggestions of which one is better?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/594352-REG/Sanho_SAHDCSUDMA500_HyperDrive_COLORSPACE_UDMA.html
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/613210-REG/Nexto_DI_ND270500G_Nexto_eXtreme_500GB_.html
Thanks

Santo
Old May 25th, 2010, 05:16 AM   #2
Major Player

I have a Nexto Extreme and I do love it... it's fast and, so far, very reliable (knock knock knock).
Bill Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2010, 10:26 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Bill

anyone else got experience with either?
Old May 27th, 2010, 12:46 AM   #4
Trustee

Santo, Bill and I have exchanged some views and experiences on the subject of the Neato's drawbacks, specifically with the MRC1K, in the recent thread Lesson learned.
Philip Howells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2010, 04:31 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Howells View Post
Santo, Bill and I have exchanged some views and experiences on the subject of the Neato's drawbacks, specifically with the MRC1K, in the recent thread Lesson learned.
Thanks philip, i must have missed that post.

I have a read through and didn't understand about the mrc1k and why they heck you wanted to use the nexto with sony z1s.. but after I googled mrc1k, I understood.. so I guess the problem is that nexto divides your clips to a maximum of 4gb file isn't it?

I'm using it with 5d/7ds which also has limitation of 4gb file size so i don't think its gonna be a problem. would it be an ideal on field back-up solution you think?

Thanks

Santo
Old May 27th, 2010, 05:21 AM   #6
Trustee

Not exactly Santo.

The Sony software not only extracts the files from the CF cards (max 4Gb as you say) but stitches those which actually form part of larger files (in our case typically the ceremony and the speeches) together. I imagine your cameras have similar software. (For me the fact that this stitching would be seamless was my act of faith when buying the MRCs but I've not been let down. I suppose it's to do with believing the rate at which electricity travels through our circuits.)

The problem we found with the Neato is that it natively saves the files inside quite a deep path, I can't recall how deep, Bill will probably be able to tell you, but it is sufficiently deep for the Sony software not to recognise or access the files.

Obviously one could import them "manually", adjust the depth of the path and then allow the Sony software to do its job, but, as I said to Bill, that palaver was one of the reasons we moved from tape to the MRC1Ks and why we sent the Neato back and bought a couple more cards.
Philip Howells is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Nexto DI Mobile Storage Solutions