AMD quads any good? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old September 9th, 2009, 12:35 PM   #16
Trustee

Maybe this can be of interest: Adobe Forums: Initial thoughts on Lynnfield versus...
Harm Millaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2009, 03:20 PM   #17
Inner Circle

I wonder how many folks will inadvertently wind up buying an i7-8xx series chip along with an LGA-1366 socket motherboard.
Robert M Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2009, 09:20 PM   #18
Inner Circle

"I wonder how many folks will inadvertently wind up buying an i7-8xx series chip along with an LGA-1366 socket motherboard".

You would have to be illiterate to do so. The new chips are clearly advertised as LGA 1156-Lynnfield socket chips.

I was unaware of the release of these chips until today. Fortunately as a 920 user there is no reason to upgrade at this time. The new Lynnfield chips chips do not sound the death knell of 1366 socket boards, but that's coming. The upcoming Gulftown 6 core chips are LGA 1366-Bloomfield socket processors; but at an expected price of $1-$1.5K, looks like Bloomfield users are stuck at this point. The best a Bloomfield user could hope for at this point is a drastic reduction in the price of the 975 which one could only hope would occur in Q4 '09 or Q1 '10, but then why would one want to invest in a dying socket design at that point?

For any overclocker using the 920, etc., this is definitely not the time to make a move unless you have money to burn, but even then 965 is still the chip to beat for any video editor. So either jumping up to the i7 975 or to stay put would seem to be the prudent choices at this point.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC