SLI graphics card at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old September 8th, 2009, 03:52 PM   #1
New Boot

SLI graphics card

My battered old laptop is just not cut out for editing with the EX1, so I am upgrading and need to do so urgently.

Can anyone tell me if I need to get a better graphics card than the nvidia 9800 GT with my core i7 system in order to edit XDCAM EX footage with ease?
I don't do much AE stuff, although I would like to do more!!
Here is what I am thinking of:

Systemax X58 Performance Gamer PC - Intel Core i7 920 2.66ghz, 12GB Corsair DDR3, 1TB, DVDRW, (2) 9800GT SLI, 650W, Vista Home Premium 64 at TigerDirect.com

I know pretty much nothing about this, but does that system seem decent to you guys?
I see the power supply is a bit lower than the videoguys recommendations, and the graphics card is not a quadro... will that be a problem?

It looks like a pretty sweet deal otherwise? I would also add a couple of 1.5TB seagates.

Otherwise I would be doing the DIY 7 system build, and I have never done one before, but I have a brain, and there is this amazing website called google...
thanks in advance
Old September 9th, 2009, 01:57 AM   #2
New Boot

Was my question badly phrased or does no-one know the answer?

lol

At any rate I decided not to take chances and went with the DIY7 self build. Hopefully, I won't make a complete mess of assembling it...
Old September 9th, 2009, 07:50 AM   #3
Major Player

"patience grasshopper".
Michael B. McGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2009, 03:05 PM   #4
New Boot

I gave it ten hours which was all I could afford!
My brothers are buying this for me in NY and they fly on Saturday - I live in Zimbabwe.

But do you think I made the right decision?
Old September 9th, 2009, 03:13 PM   #5
Inner Circle

SLI won't help you, and I would have done some things differently (like a second hard drive rather than 2 video cards with features you won't need) but the system will edit video just fine. You're going to want at least one more hard drive though, perhaps two if you can afford them.

You've got plenty RAM which is very important. Processor is fast, which is very good.
Old September 9th, 2009, 03:46 PM   #6
New Boot

Thanks Perrone, I did go for the Videoguys DIY7 in the end, which has a Nvidia quadro FX 1800, and I got a Western Digital 500GB for the OS drive and two 1.5 TB Seagate Barracuda's. Plus I have an external 1TB and a 250GB, so I am getting there.
And I am very happy with the sound of the core i7 with 12gb of RAM. Very excited...
Old September 9th, 2009, 05:17 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon de Swardt View Post
Thanks Perrone, I did go for the Videoguys DIY7 in the end, which has a Nvidia quadro FX 1800, and I got a Western Digital 500GB for the OS drive and two 1.5 TB Seagate Barracuda's. Plus I have an external 1TB and a 250GB, so I am getting there.
And I am very happy with the sound of the core i7 with 12gb of RAM. Very excited...
Sounds like you got a HOT setup! Good stuff....

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC