DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Non-Linear Editing on the PC (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-linear-editing-pc/)
-   -   Bundled Software w/ Capture Cards (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-linear-editing-pc/5741-bundled-software-w-capture-cards.html)

Dan Eggleston December 31st, 2002 02:18 PM

Bundled Software w/ Capture Cards

I am looking in to buying a NLE program (1st time buyer) and have spent quite a bit of time reading everyone's comments on the different NLE programs. My question is this; Does anyone know if any capture cards come bundled with Vegas Video 3.0? I see Premeire 6.0 with a lot of them.

Thanks,

Dan

Dylan Couper December 31st, 2002 02:36 PM

As far as I know, none come bundled with Vegas.
You only need a $20 firewire card to use with it. I'd be hard pressed to ever spend more than $30 on a firewire card, they are pretty much all the same.

Edward Troxel December 31st, 2002 09:56 PM

I believe that some cards have started being bundled with Vegas LE. However, I would suggest just purchasing a cheap OHCI card and then purchasing Vegas separately to get the full version.

Dan Eggleston December 31st, 2002 10:03 PM

Thanks guys. Back to more research...

David Mintzer January 2nd, 2003 07:11 PM

Most of the cards out there come bundled with Premiere----Remember you dont need a special capture card to use either Vegas or Premiere---just an OCHI complient firewire card----I own a Canopus Storm card but now that I have switched to Vegas, I only use it to convert analog to digital----the rest of the time it sits dormant.

Dan Eggleston January 2nd, 2003 08:41 PM

Thanks...ignorance explained within...

Thanks again all. I feel a bit stupid here.

I have been in the business for 20 years. Started right out of high school...editing news on 3/4" Sony 800's at the ABC affiliate in Akron, OH. Did that for 5 years. Moved to Florida and engineered audio for just about any type of live program you can think of. News, sports, parades and political debates to name a few. Did that for 12 years. Moved into Technical Directing and Directing newscasts for another 2 years. Mixed in there I continued to edit some, but all linear.

After working at the Tampa, FL NBC affiliate for 14 years, I took a position with county government television. I now do it all. Shoot, edit, switch and direct. I really enjoy shooting. So much so that I replaced my old HI-8 camera with a VX-2000. Now I want to take the next step towards editing on my PC. Again, the only editing I've done has been linear so I have much to learn. I have been reading through the boards and spending alot of time surfing the web looking for DIY advice. I have some concern that I might be biting off more than I can chew LOL. These boards have been very helpful.

Again...thanks.

Dan

David Mintzer January 4th, 2003 11:27 AM

Dan, I made the transition from film editing (on a Movieola--etc) to NLE editing on my desktop----I can't say that the transition is always smooth (usually the problems are configuration issues rather then the actual editing process) but it isn't rocket science. A couple days with the product manual and some tutorials should suffice. Good luck and let us know how it goes!