Bundled Software w/ Capture Cards at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old December 31st, 2002, 02:18 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Bundled Software w/ Capture Cards

I am looking in to buying a NLE program (1st time buyer) and have spent quite a bit of time reading everyone's comments on the different NLE programs. My question is this; Does anyone know if any capture cards come bundled with Vegas Video 3.0? I see Premeire 6.0 with a lot of them.

Thanks,

Dan
Dan Eggleston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2002, 02:36 PM   #2
Wrangler

As far as I know, none come bundled with Vegas.
You only need a $20 firewire card to use with it. I'd be hard pressed to ever spend more than $30 on a firewire card, they are pretty much all the same.
Dylan Couper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2002, 09:56 PM   #3
Sponsor: JET DV

I believe that some cards have started being bundled with Vegas LE. However, I would suggest just purchasing a cheap OHCI card and then purchasing Vegas separately to get the full version.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2002, 10:03 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks guys. Back to more research...
Old January 2nd, 2003, 07:11 PM   #5
Rextilleon

Most of the cards out there come bundled with Premiere----Remember you dont need a special capture card to use either Vegas or Premiere---just an OCHI complient firewire card----I own a Canopus Storm card but now that I have switched to Vegas, I only use it to convert analog to digital----the rest of the time it sits dormant.
David Mintzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2003, 08:41 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Thanks...ignorance explained within...

Thanks again all. I feel a bit stupid here.

I have been in the business for 20 years. Started right out of high school...editing news on 3/4" Sony 800's at the ABC affiliate in Akron, OH. Did that for 5 years. Moved to Florida and engineered audio for just about any type of live program you can think of. News, sports, parades and political debates to name a few. Did that for 12 years. Moved into Technical Directing and Directing newscasts for another 2 years. Mixed in there I continued to edit some, but all linear.

After working at the Tampa, FL NBC affiliate for 14 years, I took a position with county government television. I now do it all. Shoot, edit, switch and direct. I really enjoy shooting. So much so that I replaced my old HI-8 camera with a VX-2000. Now I want to take the next step towards editing on my PC. Again, the only editing I've done has been linear so I have much to learn. I have been reading through the boards and spending alot of time surfing the web looking for DIY advice. I have some concern that I might be biting off more than I can chew LOL. These boards have been very helpful.

Again...thanks.

Dan
Old January 4th, 2003, 11:27 AM   #7
Rextilleon

Dan, I made the transition from film editing (on a Movieola--etc) to NLE editing on my desktop----I can't say that the transition is always smooth (usually the problems are configuration issues rather then the actual editing process) but it isn't rocket science. A couple days with the product manual and some tutorials should suffice. Good luck and let us know how it goes!
David Mintzer is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC