How do you capture frames at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old February 10th, 2003, 07:45 PM   #1
Regular Crew

How do you capture frames

I am consantly let down by the poor quality of a frame grab made by Sony DVgate Still. I am using a PD150, but I don' t think that really matters, and am capturing with DVgate Still on my notebook. Really what I want is a good quality jpeg file.I know that using progessive scan increases the quality, but still it doesn't look too good. Is there anything else I can do to improve the quality, or is there third party software / hardware which will help? I haven't tried it yet, but hopefully some one has, what if you were to play the video and do a screen capture. Would that improve the quality?
Neil Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2003, 08:30 PM   #2
Major Player

How do you capture frames

I use Premiere's export-frame function and when you mentioned screen capture I was about to rail against the low res, usually 72 ppi. So I opened a couple of exports in Photoshop and they are also 72 ppi. At 30 of them per second it's no wonder that the DV stream is 3.6 MBps. But even at that they are only about 120 kb per frame and that's not much information for a still. Even 3-CCD cameras using the still function don't take high resolution stills, although some new entries are beginning to go there. Everything I do with still images is either web or ink jet directed (unless it's back to video) so the res is ok with me, but I am upgrading my digital still camera next month, because I want better images too, and they won't come from my VX2000.
David Hurdon is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC