Misc. Open DV from 2008 - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old April 22nd, 2008, 06:37 PM   #46
Tourist

A good source for Apple XRAID Drive Modules?

Greetings. I wasn't sure which forum to post this in, so I appreciate some n00b graces here. I'm looking for Apple XRAID drive modules for our server. I think they're the PATA modules, not SATA.

What's a good source? Any suggestions or contacts appreciated.
Allan White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2008, 07:43 PM   #47
Major Player

SDI output to PC?

Forgive me if I posted this in the wrong forum.

I just upgraded to the XL H1 and I have a question regarding SDI output to a PC. This is new to me.

Using a decklink card like Decklink HD Extreme, can I simply export 4:2:2 from my XL H1 to my PC assuming my hard drive is fast enough and large enough?

Thanks
Old April 24th, 2008, 07:13 AM   #48
Regular Crew

Shooting a hip-hop music video

Im going to be shooting a hip-hop music video with a HVX 200. I just wanted to get any of your technical recomendations about how I should shoot the band - i.e. camera settings, techniques etc. I want it to be high energy, and at the moment I am finding a high shutter gives a nice stabby motion to their movements. Also Im going to use a wide lens.

Any tips or advice you can share?

Thx guys
Josef Heks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2008, 11:05 AM   #49
New Boot

CV's and the video/film industry

Sorry if this has been brought up before but this is something that has been on the back of my mind for a little while now; in terms of CV layouts are the ones that are used by yourselves and crews in the video/film industry different to the conventional ones that are used by people in other fields of work?

In terms of experience do you put the company you worked for, e.g:

Jan 08 - Mar 08 - Company - Role
Description of job

Or do you put down the actual production you were present on and the productions details in terms of director/producer? e.g:

Title of Film (year) - Length, format, role.

The reason I ask is because I have seen examples of both layouts, but unsure as to which one is more favoured in this field of work. Is there a specific style for people who work in the video/film field? Although I have made a series of short promotional videos, they were made whilst contracted to a company so do I put the company or the productions themselves? I hope I clear enough :D
James Allison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2008, 03:36 AM   #50
Major Player

4:3 to 16:9

Looking for a solution to my problem. I have YJ20x8.5B KRS 2/3" lens attached to an old 1/2" DSR 370 PAL which is 4:3 ratio only. Is there any kind of lens attachment to create a 16:9 ratio image that would be Full Frame Anomorphic. I've done the masking option and a few clients have made a few negative comments about doing that.

I'm trying to drag the life span of my old camera out for one more year before I upgrade to HD, as money is tight.

Hope someone as the answer..
Mark Hartopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2008, 03:00 PM   #51
Trustee

Wireless CCTV in HD possible?

after doing some light research, wired solution still seems to be the best bang for the buck. you can even pay a bit more to get certain camcorders taht can capture license plate #s in great detail, but not every camcorder.

if you paid $15,000 for a wired system and you used that same budget on a wireless, you get degraded quality.

will wirelessHD resolve these types of issues? the IP-based camcorders i've seen are around 200-300 lines res. 400+ can get extremely pricey let alone HD. i would think security would require something extremely hi-def to capture what is happening onscreen, i'm surprised no1 has come up with a solution to do it wired or wireless!
Old April 30th, 2008, 09:11 AM   #52
Regular Crew

Free to good home

Does anyone out there by any chance need an adaptor box from a beta camera (not sp, the one which splits from the recorder section) for studio use? Its old but has never been used.
It clips on the back of the camera and I think gives multicore out.
Barry Wilkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2008, 09:36 AM   #53
Major Player

Finding Panasonic HDV tapes in a store?

I need to find some for tomorrow but can`t seem to find any stores selling them. I need the Panasonic AY-DVM63PQ tapes since they are all I use in my camera. Any ideas on places that might carry them? Obscure or not. I tried Stpales, Best Buy, Ritz Camera....no one even has HDV cameras :\ I`m in rhode island if thats any help
Old May 6th, 2008, 04:29 AM   #54
Major Player

Other RAW cinema cameras?

Silicon Imaging and RED have really blazed a trail with their "RAW" cameras and Adobe are making some very interesting noises about enabling RAW workflows for cinema. Personally, I'm more excited about RAW cameras than I was about HD. I love shooting RAW on my Nikon D50. Capturing RAW means you can grade the pictures so much more elegantly and it also means you don't have to worry too much about digging through massive camera menus on set. You just shoot and tweak to your heart's content in post.

Given that RAW is such a damn good idea and has been proved as a viable shooting format, my question is this: how long do we wait until other manufacturers start offering cameras which record a very lightly compressed copy of exactly what the sensor produces and leaves all the processing to post?

Has anyone heard any rumours or speculation about Sony, Canon, Nikon, Sigma etc making RAW movie cameras? Personally, I would kill for something like a Nikon D3 which can shoot 1080p at 25fps RAW with balanced stereo audio which sells for about £4500 (the D3 can already shoot at 11fps at 5 megapixels). Sure, the RED Scarlet gets pretty close and the RED ONE gets very very close.

Last edited by Jack Kelly; May 6th, 2008 at 04:31 AM. Reason: chaning titles from "Other RAW video cameras" to "Other RAW cinema cameras". RAW != video.
Jack Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2008, 10:03 PM   #55
New Boot

What is the best archive solution

I want to digitise my Vid8, Hi8, Digital8 & MiniDV tapes to HDD for storage in a lossless format. I have captured a few tapes through Premiere Elements but the resulting .avi seems to be lower quality than the original tape. I've been researching lossless codecs and found Toponoky and FastCodec but I don't understand how these work with a capture program. I don't want to edit these captures, I just want to keep them as the best possible file type for future burning to DVD, Blueray or whatever new disk/solid state medium comes along. I would like to create DVDs for everyday viewing and understand some resolution loss will have to be accepted. But I want the archived files to the same resolution as the original tapes. I know that all the above formats have varying degrees of compression/resolution. I just don't want the capture to lose even more resolution. Any suggestions?? (many thanks)
Mark Irvine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2008, 03:08 PM   #56
Major Player

Suggest Camera for Film Workshop

I am teaching a motion picture making workshop for teens this summer. There may be a small amount of money for purchase of simple miniDV cameras for students to use.

Can you make a suggestion for inexpensive, and I mean the least expensive, miniDV cameras that might work well? There is not money for "prosumer."

Minimum requirements would include a mic out and rugged construction.

Thanks for suggestions.
Peter Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2008, 12:36 AM   #57
Tourist

inexpensive video mixing set up

Hello everyone,

I am working on a project for a small theater and we are tying a theatrical trick that I believe requires a video mixing set up. We need to have two live video feeds (from two cameras) on the same monitor. One has to be slightly transparent and on top of the other image.

I looked into getting two blackmagic intensity pro cards and using their 'On Air' program but that is actually more then I think we need. We don't need a high quality image. What would be the most inexpensive set up that I could use?

I am using a Mac Pro and/or a Mac Book Pro.
Peter Sebastian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2008, 10:24 PM   #58
Trustee

Macro zoom on a high def camera?

Moved to alternative imaging.

Last edited by David Delaney; May 19th, 2008 at 08:24 AM.
David Delaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2008, 01:06 PM   #59
New Boot

Radioshack Head Cleaner Tape Problems

Hi, I bought a Radioshack-brand cleaner tape for the film heads on my Samsung Mini DV camcorder not too long ago and today when I put it in my camera it gets ejected immediately.

Is this a problem with the tape or the camera?

thanks in advance.
Andres Sanchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2008, 07:01 AM   #60
Inner Circle

Telephoto Lens

Has anyone had success with a lens such as http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...rter_Lens.html or not. I'm trying to find one to rent for a gig, but don't want to rent it if it's not going to work well.

I'm going to hook this on my Sony V1u or Sony Z1u.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion