Misc. Open DV from 2008 - Page 6 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old August 7th, 2008, 08:11 AM   #76
Major Player

Help me choose a 720p/1080p 30fps camera

Hi,

I'm looking to choose an HD camera that's capable of acquiring 720p and 1080p progressively at 30fps. The idea is to intersperse videogaming footage with talking heads shot with the camera. As games run typically at 60fps or 30fps, the usual 24fps isn't good for me.

The only other requirements I'd have would be:

1. Recording to a hard disk would be preferable, as would painless transfer into the CineForm HD codec
2. Reasonably wide-angle lens to accomodate 3-4 people in a studio-like settings
3. Two discrete audio inputs for Mics - XLR inputs?

Any suggestions across the price range would be much appreciated.
Old August 7th, 2008, 02:21 PM   #77
Tourist

Is HDV CMOS "rolling shutter" artifact eliminated with SD recording ?

Please excuse me if this is a stupid question...

There are HDV camcorders with CMOS sensors that can also record in standard definition DV mode. When filming in SD mode does the CMOS sensor operate in a "global shutter" mode, thus eliminating the possible artifect of white bands occuring during flashes of light ?

I ask this as I understand that standard definition DV mode records a complete frame each time, whereas the rolling shutter artifact is caused by the sensor sampling different parts between frames which would not seem compatible with DV mode recording.
Andy Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2008, 09:19 PM   #78
Regular Crew

How come when I squeeze my Anamorphic 60i footage to widescreen it deinterlaces?

It's the weirdest thing. I'm using DVFilmaker. I have 60i footage shot on a DVX-100a w/anamorphic lens. When I squeeze it to fit a 16X9 box (without converting to 24p) its deinterlaces with the blurry lines when theres alot of motion. When I convert to 24p w/deinterlacing it's fine. Even when I deinterlace its fine. But I want my anamorphic footage to look like raw 60i...NOT deinterlaced 30i/p looking footage.

Anyone have any answers or suggestions? Is it possible?
James A. Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2008, 11:57 PM   #79
Tourist

Alternate battery for Panny HDC-SD5?

Searching seems to have turned up little information on this... perhaps someone here can help?
The Panasonic HDC-SD5 has an internal battery slot which prevents from upgrading to a longer-life (ie bulkier) battery to get more useful shooting time. It seems to have been matched with 8Gb SDHC card supplied (as a freebie) with the camera for about 90 minutes max use. Its a Li-Ion 7.2v 1320mAh.
For an upcoming trip I want to use several 16Gb cards but need to extend the power supply life, and rather than buying half-a-dozen very expensive Panny batteries, I've been trying to find a way to maybe use a longer life (> 3000mAh) Li-Po 7.4v battery (as used in RC toys like aircraft) as an external source by modding the AC power adaptor that fits in the camera with an in-line connector so that I could swap it between the AC charger and the external battery pack (the Li-Po batteries are about 100mm x 40mm x 15mm or so).
Anyone ever done anything similar... good or bad experiences... see an fatal flaws in the logic (apart from the potential for exploding batteries if incorrectly charged, etc etc)..
Any help or advice gratefully received...
Chris Swinbanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2008, 12:56 AM   #80
Regular Crew

taking the pulldown out (space issue)

I have a 95 minute movie in an AVI file that's only 20.6 gb. It's 24pA and I need to convert it to true 24p.

I put it into after effects and took the pulldown out and am rendering it out to 23.98. But, it's creating a file that's WAY larger than the original. It says I don't have enough space and I have 43 gb free!!!

Why is it so much larger? How much larger is it going to be? Is there any way to keep it closer to the original?
Jonathan Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2008, 01:51 AM   #81
Major Player

Sxsw

Does anyone know how many other film festivals you can screen at (NOT Premier) at before SXSW. I see that some festivals say 2 or 3 and some say none but I don't see anything on SXSW's website outlining this.

My problem is there are a ton of festivals out there but only a handful that one would want to premier at and it kind of difficulty to know everyones rules. Its like you have to be careful where you screen or some don't want to touch it.

Any advice on this? I never realized out picky and touchy this whole process is. I thought "hey I can show wherever I want", but if I want any kind of distribution etc I should probably be mindful of the rules of the "top 10" fests.
Oliver Darden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2008, 08:09 AM   #82
Major Player

3 Axis digital gyro stabilization

Here's a gimbal I made for my remote helicam. This demonstrates stabilization on the roll axis. It also has the same on the tilt/pan axis. I also have a 12" gimbal that will hold a Sony EX1 or equivalent.

I'm making a couple more of these to ride on cablecams and "body cams".

http://www.pitonproductions.com/Stoc...bilization.mov
Derek Weiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2008, 12:36 PM   #83
Regular Crew

Magic Bullet Steady

Anybody used this? Would love to see a before & after. Im a Vegas user so i cant download or
test it.
Niall Megahey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2008, 09:05 AM   #84
New Boot

See-through ball camera for concerts

Has anyone ever seen or heard of a see through camera housing that could be used to get an interesting view of crowds at concerts? If you've ever seen Wayne Coyne from the flaming lips in his see through ball walking above the crowd; that is the shot we're trying to accomplish for a concert. Like putting a camera inside a clear beach ball. Anyone seen anything or have any ideas?

Thanks-
-TOBY
Toby Leddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2008, 10:11 AM   #85
Trustee

Nero CoverDesigher

Hi
Does anyone know if you can rotate the imported image into the DVD template cover case?
If you can't do it do you recommend any other software to produce DVD covers that are able to rotate the imported image at any angle you want?

Stelios
Old August 29th, 2008, 06:19 PM   #86
Regular Crew

Tripod help in Walla Walla this weekend??

Hey all-
I just found out from my wife that she wants me to video a friends wedding in Walla Walla on Sunday night...problem is I didn't bring my kit with me and I am already here (I'm from Portland). Does anyone know where I can rent or borrow a decent stick for a Canon XHA1?? Any help would be really really appreciated. You can email me direct at andrew.dryden "at" gmail.com. Thanks again!!
Andy
P.S. I posted this in the helping hands category as well, but was hoping someone here not looking for work might be able to lead me in the right direction. Thanks!!
Andrew Dryden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2008, 07:58 AM   #87
Tourist

How to replicate/double up fps in Premiere Pro?

Hi,

I'm sure someone out there can help me but I'm not sure I'll explain myself very clearly!

I've been given some footage to edit in Premiere Pro which is of a computer screen (in a variety of compositions e.g. MCU ECU etc). As it is a demonstration of how to use a website, there is a lot of movement in the form of pans and zooms as it tracks the mouse.

To avoid flicker the camera operator filmed this at 25p, however, when I take this in to Premiere Pro and play it out on a monitor, the footage is slightly jerky, making it hard to watch (especially as a lot of it is of a white form being filled in).

Does anyone know of a way that I can double up the fps so that it matches the rest of the footage filmed at 50p? Also, will that actually reduce the jerkiness and if not is there something else I could do?

Any feedback would be so appreciated.

Thank you.
Hannah Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2008, 03:23 PM   #88
Tourist

Good Rental Houses???

I'm located in Wilmington, NC and am trying to find a good rental house some where close by or that ships. Does anyone know of a good rental house? I'm trying to rent 3 Firestore FS-100 for about 3-4 days at the beginning of October. If anyone could point me in the right direction that would be awesome. Thanks!
Charles Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2008, 04:02 PM   #89
Regular Crew

Unattended Recording

oooooooooo

Last edited by Peter Durso; September 12th, 2008 at 07:53 AM. Reason: Please delete this message... it is a duplicate.... I reposted (sorry) since I forgot to add the e-mail notification feature
Peter Durso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2008, 01:35 PM   #90
Major Player

chroma key green and digital green?

Anyone know what the difference is between these 2 green screens?
David Morgan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion