Going to China at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old August 10th, 2003, 09:18 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Going to China

Hi all, I am going to China to shoot a Doc; Unfortunately all I have access to is my NTSC XL1s. I understand that China is PAL. My questions are as follows:

1. Is it safe to use a voltage converter ot power/charge my cam?

2. Is it possible to output to a PAL deck from NTSC deck?

3. Is there a device that allows me to view my daily footage for logging on a PAL tele?

Thanks for all who reply. Offer anything you may find helpful.

Cheers,

Dick Steele

P.S.- Any expats/filmmakers in China big adventure planned!
Dick Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2003, 09:34 AM   #2
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Howdy, Dick.

I'm originally from Slaton, just down Hwy 81 a piece from you--and now you're headed my way.

I can answer some of your questions:

1. Yes...but be sure to bring one with you rather than buy one there.
2. I'll let the PAL people comment on this one
3. I'm not sure about this one either...but why not bring a miniDV player (looks like a portable DVD player but plays miniDV tapes instead) or a small LCD monitor?

Advice: Have a complete inventory of equipment, with serial numbers prepared before you leave on as official-looking a document as possible. Then, report your equipment to customs before you leave the U.S. (at the airport), showing them the equipment and the inventory list, then hold on to the paperwork they give you. Also report to customs in China and show them your paperwork and hold on to whatever paperwork you get there.

I spent about five hours in a Chinese jail once (border detention center) just because their immigration officer didn't stamp my passport properly...so they're not very forgiving about bureaucratic mistakes. Make sure your paperwork is in order.

And if you get off the beaten path, be prepared to be hit with impromptu "foreigner taxes" from time to time, regardless of whether you're filming in that place or not...that's just a fact of life if you're hauling around professional-looking equipment.
Old August 10th, 2003, 05:23 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks John,

I appreciate the time and the answers; Also, killer website very stunning.

Thanks for the advice, it is much needed is there anything else that you have to offer?

Cheers,

Dick Steele
Dick Steele is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion