Question about buying online? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old November 16th, 2003, 12:32 PM   #1
Tourist

Question about buying online?

Hey guys, I'm new here. I was wondering if anyone has bought cameras from A&M Photoworld, or Broadway Photo. The Canon XL-1S is only $2279.99 at A&M. Does that sound about right to you? Other places I've checked have the Canon priced nearly $4000.00. I'm on a low budget so I am looking for the best deal but I don't want to get ripped off, either. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Frank Garza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2003, 02:20 PM   #2
Regular Crew

If it sounds too good, then you will most likely get ripped off in one way or another. There are so many horror stories of people being ripped off from these kind of sites. The XL is an investment, so it's better to be safe with reputable dealers. Check the DVinfo sponsors - they're your best bet.

If you ever question a company's rep, there are many ways to check them out. Check out sites like bizrate.com, eopinions.com, and cnet.com. Also, make sure you are able to track your order via ups, fedex, etc. Another fail-safe method is to call their customer service number to get a feel for the company. If they pressure you with a sales pitch or make you feel uncomfortable then that's a sure sign to take your business elsewhere.

Don't be duped by a low price - you'll regret it later.
Matt Elias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2003, 04:16 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Broadway Photo is known to be very shady. Stay away from them!

B&H is a great place to buy things online. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/?BI=155 Follow that link so dvinfo.net gets credit (so you support this site). Other reputable dealers may be slightly cheaper but not by much.

If you don't live in the US watch out for customs, duty, and brokerage fees.

If you want to go even cheaper you'll have to buy used (locally is best so you can inspect the camera beforehand) or go with a different camera. Or you could buy the XL1S body and lens seperately if you don't want the stock lens.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2003, 04:25 PM   #4
Trustee

Frank, I'd recommend buying from one of the sponsors of this site. They are all reputable, have good prices and great service. Save yourself the stress. I've ordered from B&H and ZotzDigital (Both sponsors) and I live in New Zealand. Both were great (Zotz more so cause they are more personal)

You *may* find a slightly better price somewhere else, but do you want to be arsed with the potential problems?

Catchya
Aaron
Old November 16th, 2003, 07:46 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Before you buy ANYWHERE online, go here first and check them out:

www.resellerratings.com
Dan Lahav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2003, 07:24 PM   #6
Contributor

There's not a huge amount of difference in what any dealer pays for the cameras he sells. The bigger ones may get a bit of a discount because of their volume, and if they pay up front they may get another discount, and there are often buying incentives for the dealers. However, no matter what, there's not that much difference. So, if a price is incredibly cheaper at one dealer than at all the mainstream places, it's only logical to be suspicious. My basic rule of thumb is that B&H seems to have good middle-of-the-road discount prices. If some other place is more than 5% of B&H's price, higher or lower, then I avoid them. And, just because they spend a lot of money advertising in the magazines and on line doesn't make them reputable.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2003, 06:59 PM   #7
Machinist Mate

I would NEVER go near Broadway Photo! And what I have heard about A&M would not make me want to try them either.

As for B&H, I have bought tons of gear from them with never a problem, both online and over the phone, in fact just yesterday I ordered another digicam for my daughter's birthday. And if you ever visit NYC, the store is worth the visit, believe me. It's the size of the Lady Lex (no, not really, but it's incredible!) I am 100% likely to buy from B&H again.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion