Misc. Open DV from 2004 - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old June 30th, 2004, 10:24 AM   #31
New Boot

Contour ShuttlePRO Problem

I am having a problem with my new ShuttlePRO and was hoping I might get some answers/suggestions here.

SETUP: G5, Final Cut Pro HD, Sony DSR-11 DV Deck, Contour ShuttlePRO 2

PROBLEM: ShuttlePRO works great when working with captured video in Final Cut Pro, but when I open log and capture, I am having trouble with deck control. The shuttle control won't shuttle the tape. All other buttons on ShuttlePRO control the deck just fine (those which are assigned to do so). Even the jog dial works, although not as well as with captured video.

As for the standard controls, all keyboard commands and FCP interface buttons work fine for deck conrol.

What I have tried so far: Restart.

Checked the control assignments in the ShuttlePRO control panel. All looks well. Left shuttles assigned to 'j' key, right shuttles assigned to 'l' key. The top middle position of the shuttle ('k' key) works in pausing video.

Tried plugging ShuttlePRO into a different port. No differrence.

Downloaded and installed the latest driver from the Contour site, but the problem remains.

I'm running out of ideas. Has anyone else using a ShuttlePRO had a problem with deck control, with any deck, with any editing software? If so, how did you correct it?
Brennan Houlihan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2004, 08:00 AM   #32
New Boot

Rental shops in Southern Spain

I may be shooting some interviews down in Malaga (Spain), and I´ll probably need to rent a light kit. Does anyone know of a good rental shop there? I´d rather rent in Malaga, but I could also take a bus or train to some other city.
Old July 5th, 2004, 05:48 AM   #33
Regular Crew

what information to include in the "Slate"?

I'm almost done with editing my first Music video clip. I did some searches for "TRT", and now I know what to include in the head of the tape (colors bars/tone, slate...etc) for broadcast.

My question is: what information should I put in the Slate, for a typical Music video clip?

Thanx in advance.
Nawaf Alali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2004, 12:03 PM   #34
Regular Crew

a lot of questions on filters

Here is my status:

I have a pd-170 and I'd like to put some use some filters on it. I don't have a lot of money but of course I'd like to get the best quality system I can afford. I would at least like a good polarizer and graduated ND.

Sneider glass:
They have a sunshade with 2 4X4 filter holders for $289
And a DV matte box system for around $800
The polarizer (rotating) for the sunshade is a True Pol (which is supposed to be an intense one) and it goes for around $200. I think the grad NDs are around the same price. Also, it seems like it is better to have some type of extra sunshade to reduce glare as much as possible.

The sunshade filter holder is said to fit all century optics adapters and extenders plus the regular 58mm of the pd-170. Century optics, a division of Sneider, is supposed to be some of the best quality glass.

Another option is the screw on type like Tiffen etc. How many screw on filters can I use without experiencing optical problems like vignetting. Also I would have to by a separate filter for my wide angle, my telephoto, and my 58mm standard.

Questions:

Are there other 4x4 brands that can stand up to Sneider but may be a bit cheaper? Can I purchase them used?

What about grad NDs? Can you explain the advantages/dis. the hard edge division vs. the soft. What about the different ND strenghts?

Any comment on the screwon vs. 4X4?

Any option that I may not have known?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Michael
Michael Bendixen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2004, 06:14 PM   #35
New Boot

Broadcast Store?

Is anyone familiar with this place: www. broadcaststore.com. I can't seem to find any feedback about the site.

Thank you in advance
Jeffrey Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2004, 12:25 AM   #36
Regular Crew

Firewire plug adaptors

I have just bought a set of these adaptors for $16 (Oz dollars) each. They seemed a tad expensive but no longer do I have to pack three different Firewire cables with me when I hit the road!

See:

http://melbourne.anyware.com.au/imag...re/fg-6x4x.jpg

If there's no Internet in Heaven, I'm not going!
Wayne Starick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2004, 08:32 AM   #37
New Boot

Slide Format

What format should I choose from the strat, if I'm only using jpegs slides to dissolve from one to another with a music bed. Then burn to DVD?
Steven H. Denn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2004, 03:58 PM   #38
Major Player

5" Nebtek

Got a 5" Nebtek on-board this week. Boy, does that make a nice addition to the rig! I also got the offset arm which I have strengthened the lock downswith rubber washers.
Jim Sofranko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2004, 05:28 PM   #39
New Boot

warranty by mack camera & video service

Hi recently bought a Canon XL-1S. The vendor offered me an extended 4 yr warranty. I bought the warranty thinking it extended Canon's warranty. I was suprised to see a warranty card from Mack Camera & Video Service.

I called Canon and they said they do not authorize third parties to work on their high end cameras. I called Mack and was told their technicians are factory trained, but not authorized.

Has anyone had work done by Mack? Was it timely and satisfactory?

thanks.
Scott Weiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2004, 07:33 PM   #40
Regular Crew

All the adaptors/cables you would ever need

If you need to carry a heap of different connectors/adaptors/cables with you, this just might be the answer:
http://melbourne.anyware.com.au/cach....html?cache=no

I picked mine up for about $50 (Oz dollars). The actual contents are:

USB A (male) to USB A (male) extending cable
USB A (female) to USB A (male) extending cable
Firewire 6 pin male to 6 pin male extending cable
Earphone, microphone extending cable
Firewire 6 pine female to 4 pin male adaptor(labelled friewire!!!!)
USB A (male) to USB A (male) adaptor
USB A (male) to mini 5 pin USB adaptor
USB A (male) to mini 4 pin USB adaptor
USB A (female) to RJ11 adaptor (two of these)
USB A (female) to RJ45 adaptor (two of these)

All in all, just about every adaptor and cable you would ever need!

Now why do my kids call me 'gadget man'???

If there's no Internet in Heaven, I'm not going!
Wayne Starick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2004, 10:32 PM   #41
New Boot

Places to try out a DVC30 and VX2100 in Pittsburgh

It seems like most people say you should try out cameras before you choose one. Right now i am trying to descide between a DVC30 and VX2100. I called up the local authroized dealers for the DVC30 and a place that rents cameras in this area, but none of them have a DCV30.

Does anyone have a suggestion or know a place in the Pittsburgh area where i could test the cameras.
Erik J. Sturcke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2004, 06:21 PM   #42
Tourist

Springboard - Storyboard software

Here is a website worth checking out, and downloading the trial
version of this great storyboard program. It's more suited to those who have a graphic tablet board.

The registered version is only $30, a reasonable price thats not going to hurt anyones pocket. The trial version has a watermark and will expire in a couple of months.

Check out its features;

http://6sys.com/Springboard/features.html
Darian Haines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2004, 06:08 PM   #43
New Boot

equinox and gl1

does anyone know if the equinox housing for the dvx100 will house the gl1. I'm looking to rent the housing from someone for a 3 day shoot. ideally I would rent the xl1 housing since I own that camera but something to house the gl1 will be adequate (not ideal though)

anyone?

thanks
rand
Rand Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2004, 09:32 PM   #44
Wrangler

Rental Companies: New York City?

Any recommendations for rental places in New York City? I'm shopping around right now.

Here are the first two outfits on my list:
1. Gotham Sound
2. Hello World Communications
Michael Wisniewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2004, 09:14 PM   #45
New Boot

Looking for a specific thread.

this thread contained a link to a website of some high school film makers. The name schoolis2cool or 2cool4school or something like that is associatied with the site or film name. had some matrix style fighting and stuff. wondering if anyone knows the link to that site or the whereabouts of the thread.

Jer
Jeremy Nixon is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion