Folder Directory Print Out? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old April 30th, 2009, 10:57 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Folder Directory Print Out?

Is there a way to print out a folder directory for an extrenal hard drive? Is there a command or action in any menu drop downs?

I would like to see what's on a hard drive on paper before I have to actually plug it in.
Dutch Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2009, 03:29 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Are you on Windows? If so, there's a DOS command setup that will put the directory listing in a text file on your drive, from which you can print it.

You have to get the DOS prompt up - use Run and enter CMD (Command) and you'll get an old fashined DOS window

Then you have to change directory (CD) to the directory you want the listing for, and then issue a DIR command with the output "piped" to a file instead of the monitor.

The symbol > is how you pipe the text that would otherwise go to the screen to a file

I think you would just say DIR >Filename and it should work.

I took my nephew through how to do this a few months ago and I can probably find the e-mails we exchanged when I get back to the office this evening if thid isn't enough of a hint
Jim Andrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2009, 04:34 PM   #3
Trustee

I use an inexpensive screen capture program and just send the image to the printer --- CaptureWizPro, in my case, but there are many others; some are freeware, I think, and Vista (ugh!) has a clip tool for this purpose.../ Battle Vaughan/miamiherald.com video team
Battle Vaughan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion