Grabs from NAB... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old April 21st, 2009, 07:27 PM   #1
Wrangler

Grabs from NAB...

These are a few of my favorite thiiiiiings (picture Julie Andrews twirling amidst a field of jibs, dollies, tripods, etc.)

If last year's NAB was highly focused on the RED camera, this year's NAB is all about 3D. If this year's floor displays are true indicators, 3D may be gaining some real traction. I'll leave the merits of the technology to others to debate. Panasonic had a prototype of a wacky-looking prosumer camera (appeared based on HPX-170 body model), which I'll be sharing with you once I process the image files.

I'll have some pictures and grabs to upload soon.

Meanwhile, amidst the array of sat-com stuff that I don't understand, there were a few cool gadgets for the rest of us.

In the "why didn't they think of this before" category, Bogen has released a set of C-stands/light stands that lock together like Legos for easy transport. You can put a rack of these together and carry them as a single unit. Very handy and will spare you multiple trips to the car.

*However,* Matthews, who makes just about the best gear in the world...I want one of everything they make...has released its own unique stand design. The legs invert when you close it, so it makes the whole thing very compact and, again, easily transportable. These will be great when you want to pack super-light and, if you're like me and have more heads than legs, these are a very nice solution that won't chew up a lot of space. Finally a true light stand that can be folded small enough to fit in or be strapped to a backpack. Being able to muck around more, when I'm shooting alone, with lighting by using a reflector, a nanoclamp, and one of these will bring a lot more artistry to light outdoors set-ups.

Packing your light kit just became less awkward, thanks to both Bogen and Matthews.

More stuff, with pics, once I have more fully recovered from last night's revelry....
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2009, 01:41 PM   #2
Wrangler

here's some stills of Panny's 3-D prosumer prototype camera, no release date, not much info, just "we're working on it."
Attached Thumbnails
Grabs from NAB...-3dpanny2.jpg   Grabs from NAB...-3dpanny.jpg  

Old April 22nd, 2009, 01:43 PM   #3
Wrangler

Bogen Stackables and Matthews Merf

more pics of the bogen stackable stands and the Matthews ultra-compact, ultra-portable Merf
Attached Thumbnails
Grabs from NAB...-bogenstack.jpg   Grabs from NAB...-merf2.jpg  

Grabs from NAB...-merf.jpg  
Old April 22nd, 2009, 01:46 PM   #4
Wrangler

701HDV Bogen head

I didn't think I had any interest in new tripod releases, but this head is so tiny, sturdy, smooth, and the price is right. Rates to 8.8 lbs. -- looks super light and great for outdoor shooting where weight is an issue. The last thing that I came here looking for is an HDV head, but this one looks fantastic for the price, size, and weight. Should have no issues bearing the weight of my A1 plus mics and light...
Attached Thumbnails
Grabs from NAB...-701hdv.jpg  
Old April 22nd, 2009, 01:49 PM   #5
Wrangler

E-Image tripod head

Continuing on with the theme, I didn't want another tripod head until I played with this. It's ultra-smooth and the simplicity of the design drew me in. I want one for my RED camera. They have smaller sizes as well, but of all the heads I have used, this one seems to be the smoothest, like a Miller only smoother....
Attached Thumbnails
Grabs from NAB...-eimage3.jpg   Grabs from NAB...-eimagetripod2.jpg  

Grabs from NAB...-eimagetripod.jpg  
Old April 22nd, 2009, 02:03 PM   #6
Wrangler

AJA KiProHD

This is one of the units that caused the most buzz. This tripod-mountable box will let you record to full Pro Res files. So you can take your little HDV camcorder (in my case an HV10) and the darn thing will output full 4:2:2 10-bit files to a 250 gb hard drive, built into the unit....oh yeah! It will cost you $4000 or so to do it, but for higher quality images, faster and tapelessly (is that a word?), it might be a good buy. Adds XLR inputs too...

I was thinking that it would be a cool way to avoid transcoding RED footage for certain applications, to be able to go out straight to a 4:2:2 10-bit Pro Res timeline. But I hear that there might be some issues with that, which I'll have to confirm or deny. It would be cool to have one box that I can use with my HV10 and my RED. How about an HV10 for a 2nd camera to a RED? We live in wild times.
Attached Thumbnails
Grabs from NAB...-kiproback.jpg   Grabs from NAB...-kiprowithh30.jpg  

Old April 22nd, 2009, 02:06 PM   #7
Wrangler

Zoom H4n

They've re-designed the funky menu controls for the Zoom H4...this thing is very obvious and intuitive to use. As a person who shoots a lot of documentary work, I wanted something that I could give a subject and have them record sound, but the H4 needed a rocket scientist to operate the menu structure. Looks like they have solved it with this re-design. This looks very easy to operate. Takes XLRs and just about every jack you can imagine. Anyone want to buy an H4, cheap?
Attached Thumbnails
Grabs from NAB...-zoomh4n.jpg  
Old April 22nd, 2009, 02:08 PM   #8
Wrangler

Steadicam Segway

You've seen these and drooled over the studs who ride them. Now you can own one. They are now selling modded Segway units designed to be guided and driven with the pressure of your knees, leaving your hands free to operate the camera. Also has a stand for mounting the arm and gimbal, so you can leave the vest behind.
Attached Thumbnails
Grabs from NAB...-steadisegway.jpg  
Old April 22nd, 2009, 02:13 PM   #9
Wrangler

I don't even know if this is news...but it did make me want one.

Canon was showing off Sony EX3s mounted with their new Canon broadcast lenses, this one with a fabulous 7.7mm wide angle -- I think the tele side went to 130mm or so. Seems like the best of the Sony and Canon breeds.

Does it dilute the brand? Only Canon's hairdresser knows for sure...
Attached Thumbnails
Grabs from NAB...-sonyex3withcanon.jpg  
Old April 22nd, 2009, 02:19 PM   #10
Wrangler

NHK is on the way...

NHK does this ridiculous 16K camera display, apparently they have been showing it at NAB for awhile now. But this year is different because they have made this model about 3x smaller than it used to be. They've finally got the technology down to a useable, somewhat portable scale. And they brought an actual 16K film to screen which, while somewhat goofy in content, did produce quite amazing images and a deep focus photography which would have made Orson Welles and Gregg Toland proud....

Also, they brought along some Astro-branded 4K monitors which have been for sale at B & H for awhile, but these newer models looked nearly consumer quality...competition is going to make true 4K delivery a reality in my lifetime (barring any unforeseen tragedy, ahem, one for the karma gods...)...

May you live in interesting times...
Attached Thumbnails
Grabs from NAB...-nhkin4k.jpg   Grabs from NAB...-img_0104.jpg  

Old April 22nd, 2009, 02:25 PM   #11
Wrangler

Sony 3.8K Monitor

Just in case you think I get too lost in the world of uber-geek futuristic technologies, here is Sony's 3.8K monitor, deliverable in, ahem, October of 2009. So they say!
Attached Thumbnails
Grabs from NAB...-sony4k.jpg  
Old April 22nd, 2009, 02:37 PM   #12
Wrangler

Camera pics...get ready for 3D!

This is going to be the year of 3D. I have already had someone approach me about shooting a 3D feature on RED in Colorado! If Colorado is doing it, you can bet everyone else is doing it better.

Cineform has announced a $3000 software package that will allow you to edit 3D natively in Final Cut Pro. I looked it over, and it brings ease of use to a process that has not been typically easy. Cineform was demo'ing their software with a very nice looking set-up from Silicon Imaging, along with P+S Technik's 3D mount -- SI, right now, is probably the best digital cinema company for shooting 3D because the heads sit closely together, making ocular distance adjustments relatively easy, and the rig doesn't look too bulky. Theirs looks like the most complete and most mobile solution.

Element Technica was showcasing their 3D rig prototype with RED cameras, and it looks great, too, comes with a beam splitter. They say that their rigs will be rental-ready in July but not for sale until some time in the fall. Their set-up was luscious. But also massive. They had it mounted to a big dolly, like a JL Fischer. Once the smaller SCARLET enters the picture, you can bet it will all change, but that is all still off in the future.

NHK, the makers of the 16K camera in Japan, also had a 3D rig on display and a kind of odd outer space show that featured 4K satellite photos of the earth and the moon, which sounds cooler than it was. A bad soundtrack and poor pacing rather killed the 5-minute experience for me, proving once again, that good editing can triumph over bad footage, and bad editing can trump good footage any time.

Anyway, here is a blast of 3D rigs. Welcome to your future!

PS. The top image is the NHK, the rest are Element Technica. I thought that I had a few of the SI-2K, but I'll have to go dig em out of my hard drive back at Circus Circus (fleabag hotel that I am re-naming Never Again Never Again)...

Let me know if anyone wants to see 'em, otherwise that is it from me, for now, till next NAB, thanks for watching!
Attached Thumbnails
Grabs from NAB...-img_0102.jpg   Grabs from NAB...-et3d4.jpg  

Grabs from NAB...-img_9660.jpg  
Old April 22nd, 2009, 02:38 PM   #13
Wrangler

and some more...

more 3D stuff...
Attached Thumbnails
Grabs from NAB...-img_9661.jpg   Grabs from NAB...-img_9662.jpg  

Grabs from NAB...-img_9663.jpg   Grabs from NAB...-img_9665.jpg  

Old April 22nd, 2009, 05:10 PM   #14
Inner Circle

Meryem:

Just wanted you to know your posts are really appreciated. Feel like I have been there !
Old April 22nd, 2009, 06:03 PM   #15
Trustee

I agree - encore! encore!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion