Grabs from NAB... - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old April 23rd, 2009, 09:59 AM   #16
Major Player

Yes thank you very much.
David Stoneburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2009, 02:09 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Wow. Very cool stuff! Anyone else have any neat things to post????
Old April 23rd, 2009, 02:33 PM   #18
Wrangler

Thanks you guys, I will have a few follow-up goodies, but it will probably take me a couple of days to process and put 'em up. Actually it will take me a few days to recover, period. Oh my aching...word of advice, don't break in new shoes at NAB, even comfy hiking shoes, you will pay.
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2009, 08:11 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Meryem,

Are you telling me that what happened in Vegas (i.e. your feet) didn't stay in Vegas? ;)

2 days of hoofing it around always gets to me. Of course sitting at a booth for 3 1/2 days will kill the strongest too. :)
Michael Chenoweth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2009, 10:42 PM   #20
Major Player

Very nice, Meryem.

Bravo!
Brian Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2009, 11:03 PM   #21
Wrangler

Control Surfaces - Tangent and JLCooper

Here's a few other items that I just had a chance to process...

Since we have started processing every project through Color, I've developed a big case of the I WANTS for a control panel.

JL Cooper was showing its brand new Eclipse CX - with a space-saving, modular design - you can add the audio controller and more keys - and designed for ease of use with FCP
costs around $4K

And the CP200 from Tangent was on display in the AJA booth - Tangent has a fantastic new product called the Wave with a breakthrough price point around $1700 - but it does not work with Color, since it plugs in through Ethernet and Color is not Ethernet enabled.

The CP200 is also about $4K

I found the Tangent controls to be a bit smoother. I'd love to have either one of these units, since they supposedly increase work speed in Color as much as 50%

But even better would be if Color's next release permitted compatibility with the les expensive and even more fully featured Wave...
Attached Thumbnails
Grabs from NAB...-img_0107.jpg   Grabs from NAB...-img_0118.jpg  

Grabs from NAB...-img_0175.jpg  
Old April 27th, 2009, 11:05 PM   #22
Wrangler

EPIC prototype

This is the newest prototype of the modular EPIC
Attached Thumbnails
Grabs from NAB...-img_0148.jpg  
Old April 27th, 2009, 11:08 PM   #23
Wrangler

C-mocos

NAB '09

This motion control unit had to be the very coolest thing that I saw in the entire show.

Crazy stuff.

More info:

http://www.cmocos.com/
Old April 28th, 2009, 08:56 AM   #24
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meryem Ersoz View Post
This is the newest prototype of the modular EPIC
Not quite sure why making this camera look incredibly front heavy is considered the most sexy way to show it, but at least it looks like the shoulder pad can move forward quite a bit.
Old April 28th, 2009, 09:27 AM   #25
Wrangler

Quote:
NHK, the makers of the 16K camera in Japan, also had a 3D rig on display and a kind of odd outer space show that featured 4K satellite photos of the earth and the moon, which sounds cooler than it was. A bad soundtrack and poor pacing rather killed the 5-minute experience for me, proving once again, that good editing can triumph over bad footage, and bad editing can trump good footage any time.
Hey Meryem, not sure if you're talking about the same thing or something different that I missed, but if you mean the five minute 1080p 3D earthrise / earth diamond ring video that was being shown right next to the NHK UHD demo, I'd have to say different strokes for different folks. As a space buff, I thought it was mind-blowing...in a "content is king" and tech demo sort of way...I couldn't even tell you what music was tracked over it! Will it go to Cannes? No. But what an amazing demonstration of advancement in technology! This was 3D HD transmitted from lunar orbit!

This was 3D (I think 1080p?) transmitted from the Japanese satellite Kaguya, in polar orbit around the moon, and showed what for me were mesmerizing earthrises and earthsets with earth in different phases including full, as well as a diamond ring eclipse of the earth. Here's a link with more info:
KAGUYA (SELENE) - TOP

And I owe fellow space enthusiast Mr. Hurd an apology, because I meant to text him to make sure he knew not to pass it by on his way to the UHD demo (which I also enjoyed more than previous year's displays) and in my rush to the airport I didn't. Hope you saw it, buddy!
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2009, 12:33 PM   #26
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Papert View Post
Not quite sure why making this camera look incredibly front heavy is considered the most sexy way to show it, but at least it looks like the shoulder pad can move forward quite a bit.
Hi Charles: It was very nice finally meeting you at the bash. Always great to put together the names and faces.

I think that this configuration was mostly so that they could show it free-standing/floating in the plexiglass box. I think it was a choice of form over function, as I agree that it's not a tempting set-up, as it stands...RED has released other renders that show the HH rig mounted substantially forward, and the Element Technica Mantis (on my wish list, but at $2K, it may stay there for awhile...) does allow a lot of flexibility in terms of choosing your balance points, both fore and aft and laterally as well. Even the unwieldy RED ONE is comfortable on one of these.

Hey Pete: I found your description more compelling than the images themselves. They should have dumped the overwrought Holst-ian soundtrack and hired you to narrate. I would have been so there!

I almost always find seeing the earth from space awe-inspiring, it's my UWOL-ish nature, but I found the 3D oddly flattening of the experience than, say, if I had seen the same thing in a dome theater...I found it more interesting in concept than execution. But, as you say, different strokes. It's good to get a different reception of these things...
Old April 30th, 2009, 12:38 PM   #27
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Bauer View Post
I meant to text him to make sure he knew not to pass it by on his way to the UHD demo...
No need -- saw it, really enjoyed it and fully agree with your assessment!

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2009, 05:55 PM   #28
Wrangler

Quote:
Hey Pete: I found your description more compelling than the images themselves. They should have dumped the overwrought Holst-ian soundtrack and hired you to narrate.
Ha! I'll take the job, even though I don't have a good narration voice. Of course I watch most of the space shows on channels like DiscoveryHD etc and it drives me INSANE to hear the often inaccurate narration, full of mispronounced names and tech terms.

Just more motivation to get off my *** and shoot, eh?

Chris, glad you saw it!
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion