Film Festivals. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old May 16th, 2009, 02:33 AM   #1
New Boot

Film Festivals.

Hello friends,

There are so many film festivals going around that it is difficult for me to understand which ones are really good and helpful in promoting yourself. I do not want to send the movie to any film festival but would like to choose those that will help give me exposure too and are deemed good.

Please if you guys can help me pick some good festivals to submit my movie, I'll be grateful.

Thanks.
Sukhpal Singh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2009, 03:00 AM   #2
Major Player

I am sure you will get feedback on which festivals are worth the effort and $$ and which ones are rip offs. Sad but true, some festivals will take your money and never even screen your entire film! Look into Withoutabox.com as many festivals are accepting submissions that way now and it may make your job easier.

I saw a discussion that seemed to be tailored to your question, bt cannot remember if it was here or somewhere else/ Have you searched?

Good luck.

Chris
Chris Swanberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2009, 03:03 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Each film festival tends have it's own agenda, favour certain subjects,a type of film making, long form or short films. Without knowing something about your film it's hard to suggest possible festivals.

Obviously, the A list international films festivals would be the ideals to be selected by. The "selected by" is something to bear in mind, because chances are that you may need to enter your film into a number of festivals before it gets selected. A good starting point is the festivals in your own country before going international. Some festivals still only screen film prints, so that's something else to bear in mind, although that shouldn't prevent you having a good good festival run.

European festivals tend not to charge entry fees, but if you enter US festivals go for the early bird fees. The festivals are heavily oversubscribed in entries, so you do need to present your film in the best possible manner. I wouldn't expect too much from the festivals, the best you can hope for is to make some contacts or win some awards that help you to get your next film together.

There is one film festival in NY which charges an extremely large entry fee, that one is a rip off.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2009, 03:19 AM   #4
New Boot

Thanks for the response Brian and Chris.

Yes, I'm searching through withoutabox.com but I was wondering if all the festivals on withoutabox.com are good bet to choose from.

It's a pixilation short film 6minute 5seconds long and I've uploaded the link in the "Show your work" section of this forum in this thread: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/show-your...ort-movie.html

Till now I've only sent it out to Cambridge film festival UK and will see if they except it or not. I'm also keeping an eye on the festivals in India...

Regards,
Sukhpal Singh.
Sukhpal Singh is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion