pd100A playback / recording issues at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old May 28th, 2004, 04:11 PM   #1
Tourist

pd100A playback / recording issues

I'm a bit in a rut. My Sony DSR-PD100a is having some major issues. I fear that the heads are damaged.

Playback issues:

1) Video recorded on another Sony DVCAM will play back on the pd100a with glitches or pixelation. Mainly found on the left side of the screen.

2) Audio will skip and/or not play at all.

The footage on the tape or the tape itself is not the culprit. The tape plays flawlessly with no audio or video drops in any other dvcam deck or camcorder.

Recording issues:

Video that is recorded onto the pd100a is very pixellated (again mainly on the left side) and audio rarely is heard.
This happens even when the tape is played in a different dvcam deck or camcorder.

I have cleaned the heads as directed with a chamois swab and head cleaning solution recommended by Sony. I have also run the dry dvcam cleaning tape for not more than 5 seconds twice.

All this at first seemed to help at first, lessening the pixellation and audio dropouts, but they were still there. After putting the camera down for 5 hours and testing it out again, the problem has become worse.

Playback on pre-recorded tapes dropped audio, to the point where you may hear 1 second of audio every 3- 10 seconds. Pixellation is apparent to the left side of the video, especially in panning shots.

When recording and then playing the footage back, The entire frame is covered in square pixellations and audio is not audible. It seems the problem is more severe when recording footage with the pd100a.

Does anybody know what the hell is wrong with the camera? I'm convinced that the heads aren't just dirty, but possibly damaged. But, I'd really like to be proved otherwise. I don't have the funds to buy another camcorder.
If the heads are damaged, is there any way to get it replaced/repaired without costing an arm and a leg?

Thanks,

Tom
Tommy Yi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2004, 04:19 PM   #2
Trustee

I had the same exact problem about two years ago on my GL-1. It drove me nuts trying to figure it out. It turned out to be a head alignment problem. But there is more here. Some of my tapes that had previously played flawlessly on the cam would not play back at all after the repairs were made since they were recorded on misaligned heads. The tapes made before the heads went out of alignment were ok.

Best of luck and be glad your tapes are ok.

Regards,

Mark
Mark Williams is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion