Just getting started.... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old July 31st, 2002, 07:41 PM   #1
gabe_86_

Just getting started....

I'm a 16 year old high school student looking to get my hands dirty with DV. For obvious reasons I really am not in the position to use film and I really need to begin my career in movie making somewhere. I'm just hopeing I could get some suggestions on quality equipment...where I can get stuff...what I will need to begin making quality motion pictures. I'm basically out to set up the cheapest rig I can find that will still have some sort of quality to it.
Thanks,
Gabe

btw - I'm running an 800 mhz PC, and I don't know if a Mac is in my future.
Old July 31st, 2002, 08:40 PM   #2
Capt. Quirk

Hi Gabe,
Welcome to the boards, and the field of DV. If you are looking to get started, and don't have the equipment yet, your best bet is to find someone to show you the ropes. There are a few folk here from your neck of the woods. Maybe you can hook up with them?
Keith
K. Forman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2002, 03:01 AM   #3
Outer Circle

You might try and look for a good, older used cam. I have a list of some of these on my www.dvfreak.com pages. The older Sony TRV17 is a good one --- not professional, but a good cam to start with. If you're lucky, you might find one cheap (used).

A couple of other good models are Canon's (original) Elura, and Optura PI. Canon even makes a very good external mic for the Optura PI.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2002, 01:37 PM   #4
Major Player

* * USE THE FORCE * *

Gabe,

Find and create some material you wish to use as a blue print for your film. Don't worry about the quality, yet.

Read everything you can get your hands on. Put a check mark by things because more than likely you will return again to that specific. I find myself reading something, saying "okay, thats good" and filing it in my mind, until I actually need to do it.

There are some good used cameras out there. Does your school have a video camera? A club? Borrowing? The local NYU/Columbia/Colleges may be willing to sign you aboard for some PA work.

Rock'N'Roll!

Cheers!

Derrick
Derrick Begin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion