How to shoot a band with one camera? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old August 13th, 2002, 07:43 PM   #1
New Boot

How to shoot a band with one camera?

I might hook up with some audio guys recording rock bands. I would like to shoot with one camera. First a cover shot followed by shots of the lead singer, drums, bass etc as they do subsequent takes.

What's the best way to do this so the final product looks like one take? Is it best to play back the first take so they can lip sync while I get my other coverages? Thanks.
Rich Rosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2002, 07:58 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I've done this a few times.

We just had the band lip sync/play to their CD.

More often than not you'll need a really loud PA system to do this. Drummers always seem to have the most difficulty hearing the track and keeping in sync. There have been occasions where we had to hide mini headphones on them while they play.
Jason Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2002, 08:05 PM   #3
Trustee

That's pretty much how it's done. I've shot a couple that way and it works fine. Just make sure you pay attention to continuity, that is making sure everything is the same for every take.
Adrian Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2002, 08:13 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Also...

I have found that recording a beep or some sort of tone on the actual CD before the track begins helps keep everything in sync for post.
Jason Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2002, 01:05 AM   #5
Air China Pilot

I did this last month with my friend's band and, yes, you really do need another camera. To get anything interesting you have to roam around the band. But everytime you move, unless you plan on wielding a steadicam-like apparatus, you will lose something.

That said, if you have to film with one camera, I suggest you always get cutaway footage. This is footage like shots of a non-active band member's face, hands on the keyboard, drumming away, shots of the crowd. These are elements you can cut into the times when you are wandering around filming nothing but your feet. If you get enough of that, it will seem like you have several cameras, not just one.

The other guys have the audio part squared away.
Old August 14th, 2002, 11:38 AM   #6
Wrangler

Try two cams anyway. Use a cheaper cam to take the long shots, using either one to continuously record the audio. Use the long shots to mix in the breakaway shots.

Nathan Gifford
Nathan Gifford is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion