The gigantic "which camera should I buy" thread! - Page 123 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old December 11th, 2011, 12:34 AM   #1831
Trustee

Re: The gigantic "which camera should I buy" thread!

Sony NX5U
Bruce Yarock
Bruce S. Yarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2011, 07:35 PM   #1832
Regular Crew

Thanks Bruce!

How does the NX5U compare to the panasonic AG-HMC150?
Michael LaHatte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2011, 02:26 AM   #1833

just get the JVC HM100 or 150.
Lee Mullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2011, 07:01 AM   #1834
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael LaHatte View Post
Thanks Bruce!

How does the NX5U compare to the panasonic AG-HMC150?
From a feature point of view, the NX5u is more expensive but it has several nice features for that money. How important they are is a decision for you to make. Those extra features are:
Longer lens (20x vs 13)
SDI output
Flash Memory Unit extendability built in
Higher AVCHD recording (FX mode)
Hi res LCD
GPS

I think the hi res LCD is important to understand. Having it gives you a much much better estimate of exposure and focus.

There's plenty that's been written up about these cameras. Use the search feature on DVinfo.

Last edited by Les Wilson; December 12th, 2011 at 07:11 AM. Reason: forgot a couple things
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2011, 09:26 AM   #1835
Regular Crew

Thanks for the replies!

I was talking to BH today and they recommended a camera that is 422? So they suggested the Canon XF100, Panasonic AG-HVX200A or the JVC GY-HM150U. What are you thoughts on these compared to what has been suggested? BH also said that these cameras create a better file to work with than AVCHD based cameras. They also suggested the Panasonic AG-HVX200A, said it was memory based using P2 cards and would be a perfect choice... Now I'm more confused! arggg!

I will be filming white screen, whiteboard presentations, interviews, green screen ... 100% indoor with LED lights and 99% of footage will be for web.... So the easiest process to go from shooting to sony vegas to web would be ideal! Awhile back, I also bought Sorenson Squeeze to make the videos small as possible, i don't know if that was a bad idea or not? I guess it's still needed to compress even after editing in vegas?
Old December 12th, 2011, 12:38 PM   #1836
Inner Circle

For what you are doing, 4:2:2 is completely unnecessary and overkill. The bottom line is that all of these cams are great and you won't be sorry with any of them. While B&H is a great place -- the *only* place, as far as I am concerned -- to buy, they obviously want to sell you the most expensive cam possible.

Each of the cams mentioned has fans and detractors, and anyone here who uses a given model is likely to be a bit partisan, if only because we know and are familiar with the features of our models and their brethren. So take anything you hear here with a grain of salt. While some here do have different cams of different brands for comparison, many of us have stuck to a single brands so as to use the same accessories, because we like and/or are familiar with the ergonomics or feature set that certain brands emphasize, or just out of inertia.

Knowledge is the enemy of confusion. Spend some time looking at the specs of all your candidates at the B&H website. If you come a cross a term you don't understand, Google it and read until you are thoroughly comfortable with it. At that point you will know whether it is a feature you need or not (i.e. "422").

As has been said many times before (on this thread and elsewhere), there is no best cam, only what's best for you.

[But please don't do your "B" cam footage in B&W; it will only be annoying and distracting and will make your viewers want to gouge their eyes out with a spoon. It's a pretentious affectation done only by first-year film students in junior high.]

And don't forget: you're going to need a pretty beefy, up-to-date PC to edit all this stuff. See the post production forums for advice there.
Old December 12th, 2011, 03:31 PM   #1837
Regular Crew

Thanks for your input!

I'm leaning toward the Sony NX5U or the Canon XF100 but I just discovered that the sony has 3 chip where canon has 1.. how big a deal is that?

I know lighting and audio are 90% of video, but if I'm gonna buy a nice camera, i want one that I will use for a long time and not have any regrets...

I'll take your advice Adam on b&w.... thanks for the input!

The computer I will be using for editing is a i7 with SSD hard drive for main, dual 1TBs in raid 0 for secondary, 12gb ram.... I was hoping it should do fine... I'd love to have a Xeon though!
Old December 12th, 2011, 04:15 PM   #1838
Inner Circle

The way I see it, I don't think the XF100 offers much value for you. In fact I think for what you are talking about, it offers less value for you. Is there a reason you aren't looking at the Panasonic AC130? For what you describe and your budget, I would be looking at the Panny AC130, HMC150, Sony AX2000, Sony NX5U.

Keep reading and searching for answers to questions. Read reviews on the above cameras and hopefully you will get answers on what these features are for. They you'll be equipped to decide what's important for you and not be dependent on a sales person or, for that matter, anyone here telling you what to buy. You have gotten solid unbiased advice by some good people here.
Old December 13th, 2011, 01:04 PM   #1839
Regular Crew

Thanks Les... I agree with you on the XF100... I think I'm much better off picking one of the other cameras mentioned.

After reading this: CMOS Rolling Shutter I'm leaning toward the Panasonic AG-HMC150 over the Sony NX5U... I was considering the Panasonic AG-HVX200A but I will be compressing the videos for web anyway and figured it would be a waste? I dont minde the expensive P2....

EDIT:
Actually, I just read that the Panasonic AG-AC130 is the "update" to the AG-HMC150... Do you think the AC130 is a smarter choice over the HMC150? But doesn't it have a CMOS instead of CCD though?

Last edited by Michael LaHatte; December 13th, 2011 at 07:00 PM.
Old December 15th, 2011, 02:58 PM   #1840
Regular Crew

Thanks for all your input!

I bought the AC130!

I am a little concerned about the auto focus issues the AC130 has been noted as having as well as the "card door open" error and the skewing issues that have been reported. I'm hoping these are isolated issues and not bugs since it is such a new camera! The HMC150 was very close 2nd but from what I gather, the AC130 is everything the HMC150 is, plus more... I'm hoping that's true!

BH gave me a great deal on it... They originally quoted me the camera at $3,500 if I bought the $350 extended warranty. I changed my mind on the warranty since it would only cover accidental stuff and not theft, etc. like insurance would. BH wanted to mark the camera back up when i decided not to get warranty, but after some squabbling back and forth on the phone BH finally kept their original quote of $3500 and I thank them for that!

Additionally I purchased the Pearston battery, is it as good as the Panasonic battery? I also bought two 32gb Sandisk SD cards and a Lexar USB 3 dual card reader...
Old December 15th, 2011, 04:51 PM   #1841
Inner Circle

Thanks for the update. You can always get help climbing the learning curve here:
Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders Forum at DVinfo.net

SInce the HMC130 is new, you may be able to help others that follow in your footsteps.

Long term, as you strive to shoot better and better stuff, you'll be turning off auto-focus and using manual more. At least that's how it was for me. YMMV
Old December 21st, 2011, 10:42 PM   #1842
Major Player

Quote:
B&H is a great place -- the *only* place, as far as I am concerned -- to buy, they obviously want to sell you the most expensive cam possible.
I've bought cams from B&H but also from Full Compass and recently from Markertek. Both Full Compass and Markertek were great to deal with and have solid reputations. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one from Amazone either. Not knocking B&H, just that there are other options too.
Old March 27th, 2012, 04:18 PM   #1843
New Boot

I've read through the posts on this thread and am still in need of help. I'm totally new to video and am buying my first camcorder, with the main purpose of recording interviews in mostly indoor settings. The recorded interviews will be for clients so the image and sound quality need to be good. I've been considering the Canon XF100 or JVC 150 camcorder which are about what I want to spend (though I'd love to spend less). Does anyone have thoughts about these 2 cameras or others that might be more appropriate for my purposes? Thank you so much for any help you can provide. Trying to choose is a bit overwhelming to me since I know so little!
Carla Koop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2012, 08:33 PM   #1844
Trustee

Why not get a used AF100 with a Tamron 17-50mm and/or a 50mm prime so you can blur the background on the interviews and really make the subjects pop. Not quite as versatile as a fixed lens camcorder, but if you're just going to be doing interviews, seems like a good choice. The bigger imaging chip will help with providing clean video indoors as well.
Old March 28th, 2012, 02:57 AM   #1845
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carla Koop View Post
...I'm totally new to video and am buying my first camcorder, with the main purpose of recording interviews in mostly indoor settings. The recorded interviews will be for clients so the image and sound quality need to be good....
Remember to budget a microphone that you can get close to the talent. A wired shotgun on a boom stand like an AT875 or Rode NTG1 or 2 or even a wired lavalier are inexpensive ways to get the audio required for corporate video.

There's also a tripod and some basic lighting gear required.
Les Wilson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion