The gigantic "which camera should I buy" thread! - Page 118 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old September 23rd, 2010, 12:58 PM   #1756
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Koruga View Post
What is the resale market in production cameras. If I buy the good used SD to start with, am I going to be able to recoop some money when I go to upgrade or is it like a car, where the price drops like a rock. Or the
Hi Peter,

My feeling is that SD is already outdated. I think you could get a decent XL2 or better SD camera for a decent price these days (used or maybe even new). Practice with that, without expecting to re-coop anything in the near future.

Good sound equipment, and lights will maintain their value for ...,well, ever I would guess. Those two things haven't fundamentally evolved since the beginnings of filmmaking.

I hope my opinion is of some use to you.

Cheers,

DK

Frankenstein meets XL1
Daniel Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2010, 04:23 PM   #1757
Inner Circle

Quote:
If I buy the good used SD to start with, am I going to be able to recoop some money when I go to upgrade or is it like a car, where the price drops like a rock. Or the tech will be out dated and no one will want it a couple years from now.

So the question for this post is:
Assuming I have decided on going SD. what are the recommended cameras for self educating, and projects like web videos, perhaps green screen, and in combination with green screen apply video to 3d projects using 3ds Max.
Peter,
You define the Prosumer: Serious hobbyist who will spend gobs of time and effort to produce a professional result in an attempt to pick up a couple small jobs every once in a while or just for the satisfaction of producing a quality production. In this endeavour, you will learn to appreciate the features and functions of professional gear, professional skills, professional behavior and professional technique.

As mentioned, producing professional results is more than the camera. But as far as the camera goes, the idea of going with a 16x9 SD camera such as the XL2, PD170 or similar prosumer models from Panasonic and JVC, was a way (for your budget) move past consumer gear into prosumer where you will start to experience professional camera controls.

Having those controls enables you to learn professional skills and apply professional technique. With a greater budget, there could be HD prosumer cameras but at $2000 for camera, tripod, lights, and audio, you're getting recommendations to go with used SD stuff. That's where you can get your hands on controls like Custom White Balance, Picture Controls, Exposure compensation, shutter speed, iris/zoom/focus rings, gain, phantom power the whole nine yards.

So don't focus on the fact it's SD and can you recoup an investment by selling it. Unlikely. Best case is you can produce some results for the web that people will pay you money for as a way to recover money spent on all your equipment that lets you deliver well edited, properly lit, clean audio, and beautiful images with smooth pans, zooms and tilts.
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2010, 10:11 AM   #1758
New Boot

Thanks again everyone.

I have been thinking about this so much lately the last couple nights I have been dreaming about producing video.

I have decided (about 98% anyways) to go with a used XL2. That is the camera that most have recommended. As stated that way I have some left over cash to start picking up some better quality tripods, lights, and audio gear.

Also it seems like the XL2 is very versitle. Ive seen that people are using it for just about anything, commercials, web, live broadcasts, green sceen, etc.

Is ebay the best / best value place to find a used XL2 or can someone recommend a better place?

Thanks, Peter
Peter Koruga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2010, 01:05 PM   #1759
Regular Crew

Quote:
I am looking for a video camera to use to try and teach myself... well how to shoot. I know little to nothing about video production outside of home videos. I am looking for something that is versital meaning I would like it do do just about anything well. It doesnt have to do everything the best but good enough to produce usable video.
Peter - I'm one of the lucky ones who actually gets to make a good living out of using my camera. My advice - if you want to be a serious operator one day - is buy a second hand JVC HD110 or similar. You'll find one in your price range.

Main reasons? it sits on your shoulder like a "proper camera". It's got auto functionality, but it has full manual over-ride, and everything - filters, white balance, iris, focus, gain, audio, the whole lot, - is set up like a full professional camera.

I own a JVC, and love it; I also often shoot on Digibeta and HDCam, so I know what I'm talking about.

I'm just back from a doc shoot in Zimbabwe, and a news/doc shoot in Afghanistan, using the JVC. Both clients completely happy with the product.

The JVC shoots SD, and a HDV 720p codec that is very good for teaching yourself some techniques that you'll use if you ever shoot on film.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes

Rob
Robert Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2010, 12:32 PM   #1760
Regular Crew

Was wondering about picking one up, would anyone have any advice on something, around about £200-£300 max?

It would be cool to get one that would allow the expansion onto XLR and decent audio so I could actually use one for work but that depends on what I can get for my money.
Old October 25th, 2010, 07:50 AM   #1761
New Boot

Moving on from my Canon XLh1a

Hi,

I wanted to get some advice to help my decision in upgrading my current equipment. I mostly work as a multimedia producer for a newspaper outlet where they own a Panasonic AGHVX200 and does the job well. I use my Canon XLH1a for personal projects like small documentaries, corporate video and occasional weddings.

Overall i have not enjoyed the Canon, I not only disliked the ergonomics but also the issues with HDV. If you ask me the Sony price equivalent did a 10x better job. I made a mistake when I purchased the Canon 2 years ago, and I don't want to do that again.

So after looking at what's coming out and what's available I have thought about doing this:

Getting the GH2 DSLR when it arrives early Novemeber and then late January, after the AF100/101 has been reviewed and tested properly, go for that. Panasonic have agreed to loan me the AF101 camera for a week in the beginning of January so I will get a good feel for it before I commit to anything. I decided on going down this route because that way I can use the lens's from the GH2 in perfect harmony with the AF101 and the GH2 will be a perfect 2nd camera during shoots.

Is this a good way to do it or should I wait and see what Sony bring with their 35mm video camera?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers
Tom
Thomas Di Fonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2010, 04:21 PM   #1762
Major Player

I'll second what Robert said about the JVC. I get asked the what camera should I buy and a used JVC is my top recommendation. Oddly enough you can find a JVC GYHD200 for the same price as the 100 series.
Old November 12th, 2010, 01:17 PM   #1763
New Boot

Getting into HD

OK, making the plunge into HD. My Videoguys based computer is arriving within days. Here's my problem. What would the best Prosumer cam for me to learn the ins and outs of HD work until I move into a pro cam? My choices have narrowed to CX550, TM700 and VG10. I do some events, docs and shorts and rate myself as a serious amateur-enthusiast. In SD have used Vegas. Thanks in advance for helping me along!!
Raimo Repo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2010, 05:00 PM   #1764
New Boot

I like the picture on my XL2 but I'm running into a lot of tape issues. Is this common? Does anyone recommend a camera with a similar look that won't run into these problems?

Last edited by John Brock; November 15th, 2010 at 01:24 PM. Reason: Original post should have been in a different thread.
John Brock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2010, 11:01 AM   #1765
Inner Circle

You don't say what your 'tape issues' are John but has your XL2 run a good few hours? Ever had the tape transport serviced? There's a huge number of tightly toleranced moving parts in the deck and things get out of alignment in time.

If you don't want to 'run into these problems' the short answer is to swap the XL for a file-based camera. You can still shoot in 16:9 SD with any one of them and it is the way ahead.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2010, 12:28 PM   #1766
Trustee

Sorry Tom,
That's my fault that the info is no longer in this thread. I encouraged John to edit his post as he also posted in the XL2 forum http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl...-used-xl2.html and it seemed more appropriate there.
Colin McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2010, 01:22 PM   #1767
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Hardwick View Post
You don't say what your 'tape issues' are John but has your XL2 run a good few hours? Ever had the tape transport serviced? There's a huge number of tightly toleranced moving parts in the deck and things get out of alignment in time.

If you don't want to 'run into these problems' the short answer is to swap the XL for a file-based camera. You can still shoot in 16:9 SD with any one of them and it is the way ahead.

tom.
Tom,

I haven't yet had the tape transport serviced but now I'm thinking about having that done. And yes, I've begun to think about going to a file-based camera but I've never used one and I have no idea what I'm looking for. Any suggestions?
John Brock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2010, 03:47 AM   #1768
Inner Circle

You've got to ask yourself what it is about the XL2 that you most love and appreciate. If it's the interchangeable lens then maybe the Sony Z7 is worth a look. You can shoot to CF as well as replay all the tapes you've ever shot and of course you can swap out the tock lens.

If you've never removed the Canon's lens then you should forget spending money on a service and jump straight to the silent reliability of SDHC cards, recording AVCHD files. The Panasonic 150/1 and the Sony NX5 should be in your sights. The Panny's a lot cheaper and you'll see why as soon as you see them side by side, but the on-screen results it gives are wonderful.

If you're feeling rich than the EX1R is another big step up, in price as well as picture quality.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2010, 08:19 AM   #1769
Regular Crew

Where is "Gigantic 'which PC should I buy?' " thread?

I read the VideoGuys article and want to expeand on that before I make too much noise.
Thanks a bunch.
Robert Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2010, 01:28 PM   #1770
Major Player

Mobile camera system

Hi guys,

I'm currently looking into upgrading my camera system. Currently I am using a Nikon D90 as my primary video camera, and a flip and gopro cameras as b-cams.

Image wise the D90 is awesome and with my wide selection selection of Nikon glass there wasn't any stationary shot i could make. However I am finding the wobble on the D90 to no longer be acceptable as my camera shooting style gets more mobile (moving rig) to handheld shooting.

I'm hoping to get a RED Scarlet when they come out, but that could still be years down the road. So for now I'd like to see what I can get.

Option for fully manual control.
For audio I have XLR mics and also a H4n, but could also plug into the camera itself.
Editing is on a MacPro with Adobe Suite (also potentially FCP eventually).
I want a good monitor on the camera, something that swivels.
A big bonus would be if I could use my Nikon lenses on the camera, but I understand if that is not possible. Therefore if it's a fixed lens needs to be all encompassing.
1080p or 720p
A nice selection of frame rates, 24, 30, 60, and potentially higher would be great for slow motion.

Budget-$2000 soft cap.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion