The gigantic "which camera should I buy" thread! - Page 18 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old September 30th, 2003, 05:20 AM   #256
Trustee

Wait for the new model. Unless your current project brings you in enough money to buy another camera.

Stelios
Old October 1st, 2003, 11:12 AM   #257
Regular Crew

1500 to spend on first camera setup

well I'm going to be getting my first decent camera setup sometime this mounth. I've got about 1500 to spend. I'm looking at getting a panny DV953 from buydig for 1050. this leaves me about 500ish for acessories.

I'm going to be doing alot of sports so need a tripod, I know I don't have enough for an expensive one but i've been using a cheapy one for the past 3 mounths so I can live with one in the 100-150 range. anyone have any sugestions?

Also I would like to get a Wide Angle lens for the cam so anyone have any suggestions thier?

Also does anyone make a zoom control for the 953? used one on our studio cams in Highschool and I loved them

I might start to do wedings this spring with another guy so what other accessories should I keeping in mind to get.

anyhelp would be greatly apreciated.
Jon Kamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2003, 11:46 AM   #258
Major Player

Jon,

Bogen makes great tripods, and for video their low-end ones start at about 200. I would definately spend the money, because a bad tripod makes for bad footage. Check out www.bhphotovideo.com.

As for the weddings...speaking from experience...get and make sure you have enough portable batteries for the camera and light for the entire night, without question. If you don't, it can be one horrible scene when telling the wedding party you didn't get it.

Good Luck!

Clay
J. Clayton Stansberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2003, 12:29 PM   #259
Major Player

seeking advice on camera upgrade

In a couple of months I would like to upgrade to a camera with full manual controls. I have between 1500-2500 to spend. I will be using the camera to make short films and maybe the occasional wedding. I have additonal funds for lighting and stabilization, but I'll burn those bridges after I buy the new cam. My knowledge is minimal, but I want very much to learn, and after a couple of months of owning it, I can already see that my consumer cam (panna dv53) isn't going to get me there. I've been doing research, but everything I read just seems to add to my confusion.
Any advice anyone can offer would be appreciated.
Thanks,
MG
" When some wild-eyed, eight foot tall maniac grabs your neck, taps the back of your favorite head against a bar room wall, and looks you crooked in the eye, and he asks you if you've payed your dues, well, you just stare that big suker right back in the eye, and you remember what old Jack Burton always says at a time like that, 'Have you paid your dues, Jack? Yes sir, the check is in the mail."
Michael Gibbons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2003, 12:46 PM   #260
Major Player

For that money you are budgeting, the Canon GL2 is your best bet. It has a full manual mode and will allow for what it seems you want. Check out the specs and features at the link below or go to the link below it for other info from Canon.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/?BI=155
Canon Link:
http://www.canondv.com/gl2/promo.html?GCID=C10678x004

This camera has great quality and many options that will allow you to do many different things from shorts to weddings. Without going to a DVX100 or an XL1S, this would be what I go with!

Hope this helps.

Clay
J. Clayton Stansberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2003, 12:47 PM   #261
Inner Circle

If you need to make camera movements while shooting then get a tripod that's not sticky and will give you fluid movements. Some tripods can get better if you just tighten them.

I would also get a decent microphone next, as the on-board microphone probably stinks. I'm not sure which models are good (Sony, Azden, Sennheiser, etc. sell shotgun mics with the minijack connector).
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2003, 12:51 PM   #262
Inner Circle

The VX2000 has the best low light performance in that price range. If you can buy used in your city it won't cost you whatever B&H is charging ($2300, which is close to the best new price you can get). Low light is very important for weddings. A light (with some diffusion on it) will also help a lot. A good sound setup is also very important. A shotgun mic like the Sennheiser ME66/K6 + a wireless system seems to be the most popular among wedding videographers. The wireless is to pick up the wedding vows. Planting a minidisc recorder near the altar instead could be an alternative.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2003, 03:59 PM   #263
New Boot

this one or that one?

0n 9-30 an XL1-s sold for 2000k if you want a great camera the XL1 is not over rated it's a great cam. Be aware of hidden costs when purchasing any cam. the cost to upgrade to a wide angle lens for example may put your 1500. at 2000k instantly or worse I guess you must know this just thought it was worth mentioning
If you can find a cam that you like used you really do reduce your costs and may get some of those extras deferred. try e-bay and use pay-pal this way your purchase is protected. Also the big drag to the GL2 is that it's a fixed lens and all wide angle stuff is a screw on this never seams to give the image quality that a 3ccd cam is capable of you will notice it when you add the adapters. What the XL can do (and the 1 or 1s is not a huge deal) Is save you time editing you can get more fluid shots and the lenses are quick to change out. Shots like a pan shot is not hard to compress but a telephoto zoom through an extender is a big deal.
sorry for the long post the question does have a long answer. Best of luck
Old October 1st, 2003, 04:53 PM   #264
Major Player

THANKS

Thanks to all of you. These cams were all on my short list, so the answers are, if nothing else reassuring. I am leaning towards the XL-1, but funny as it may sound the buzz surrounding it, and its nifty apperanece put me off a little. In the past I've burned myself by purchasing the coolest item- I'm currently heating my home with a mac G-4 cube/ - so I have become wary.
Thanks again.
Mg
" When some wild-eyed, eight foot tall maniac grabs your neck, taps the back of your favorite head against a bar room wall, and looks you crooked in the eye, and he asks you if you've payed your dues, well, you just stare that big suker right back in the eye, and you remember what old Jack Burton always says at a time like that, 'Have you paid your dues, Jack? Yes sir, the check is in the mail."
Old October 1st, 2003, 06:07 PM   #265
Major Player

Look into:

Panasonic DVC80 : wide lens, built-in XLRs, 1/3" chips (Gl2 has 1/4"?), very good in low light,plenty of manual controls, exceptional audio, $2400 at B&HPHOTO.

JVC DV300u : 1/3" chips, $2400

Shawn Mielke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2003, 08:23 PM   #266
Regular Crew

thanks i'll look into a bogen tripod so that brings me to 1250ish with about 250 for the rest
Jon Kamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2003, 08:44 PM   #267
New Boot

the buzz the cube

In defense of both the cube was a good idea it cools by convection no fan as long as you give it room to breath it'll be ok and its great for recording audio (no fan noise)

I agree on the XL1 hype I too was sceptical I do not usually go in for band wagon popularity stuff as I can see you don't either as you are a make do user and a mac person. I would encourage the purchase of an XL. I currently have two (it solved a compatibility/expense issue) Where by the stuff for one fits the stuff for the other and the crew does'nt bicker "she always gets the XL1 (thats because shes cute now shut up:) )" but I really can't see how you could go wrong I really do not.
just watch the pricing and think about a used one very few people even monkeys would abuse 3500 $ worth of equipment if they own it so used is not a bad way to go.
Old October 2nd, 2003, 08:57 AM   #268
Major Player

g-4 cube

Actually, I've solved most of my heat issues by adding an external fire wire drive.
Thanks again for the advice, I do think I will get myself an XL-1.

MG
Old October 2nd, 2003, 10:47 AM   #269
Wrangler

Re: the buzz the cube

<<<--I would encourage the purchase of an XL. I currently have two (it solved a compatibility/expense issue) Where by the stuff for one fits the stuff for the other and the crew does'nt bicker "she always gets the XL1 (thats because shes cute now shut up:) )">>>

That's really funny! Sounds like you guys have a good time on set.
Old November 14th, 2003, 03:05 PM   #270
Tourist

Ultra Newbie Alert! Best recreational DV cam?

Actually, I did conduct a search and didn't find much in terms of what I was looking for.

It seems this forum is geared more towards professionals but I'm hoping a 'civilian' will be able to benefit from the collective knowledge here.

I'm pretty new to videography and am currently in the research phase of purchasing a new camera.

As stated in the subject line, the purpose will mostly be recreational (family/friends, holidays, etc) with the occasional event coverage (nightclub parties, indoor and outdoor car shows, motorsport). I've narrowed it down to just single CCD cameras since I really don't have a need for a 3-CCD at this time. Although I'm sure I'll want to upgrade soon enough.

What I am looking for are recommendations. My price range is up to $1000 retail and the camera needs decent (if not good) lowlight capability.

TIA!
Tom Chang is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion