The gigantic "which camera should I buy" thread! - Page 10 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old January 17th, 2003, 11:52 AM   #136
Major Player

Dylan - most of the Canons are only 680k pixels, and I really wanted to have a 1 megapixel. How is the picture quality with your zr40? Is it good enough to shoot shorts with and just as a novice camcorder for an aspiring film student?
Bryan Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2003, 03:39 PM   #137
New Boot

My vote if for the panasonic DV852. I just got it and the quality is fantastic. I just shot some video using it and a canon GL2 and when I brought the two together in vegas I could not tell the difference in the two (after some minor editing)...

I heard good things about the DV852 for such a long time, and I am really glad I got one before it was discontinued forever.

You can grab it for $900-1000... worth every penny.
Eric Reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2003, 04:05 PM   #138
Outer Circle

I also strongly suggest going with a Panasonic PV-DV852. It is the best 1 CCD camcorder on the market!
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2003, 04:13 PM   #139
Major Player

So, is it worth paying the extra couple hundred bucks for this camera over a 1 megapixel sony? Will there be that big of a noticeable difference? A problem with the panasonic is the fact that it is discontinued, and the only vendors I can find it at are shady no name internet sites! Thanks for your input so far!
Bryan Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2003, 04:21 PM   #140
New Boot

I would say that it is better, yes. And worth the extra money.
As for a place to buy, go to www.bhphoto.com, they are a big name, honest dealer. I got mine last week.

Even though it is being discontinued the warranty is still good.
Old January 17th, 2003, 07:29 PM   #141
Regular Crew

I think the Canon Optura 200mc ( 1.33 million pixels ) has more pixels than the Panasonic CV852 ( 1/3.8", 1.02 Mega ), but when you compare the CCD size, I would believe the CV852 has the most.

Never the less it also comes down to which brand you feel more comfortable with, like Dylan.

I would also have to second Dylan's opinion of Sony. The laptop which I'm on right now is a sony and is being held together with electrial tape, because of huge cracks. Sony will not admit there is something wrong with a laptop the cracks when it gets to hot.

Even more against sony, a friend of mine had a VX1000 that you had to use an external mice because the onboard one was broken. After having it sent away three times the problem was never fixed. Now after a year of complaining to them, sony has agreed to relace the VX1000 with a PD150 and an extra $1000 CND for the trouble. So I guess it's a mixed blessing.

http://www.prodcat.panasonic.com/sho...52&CategoryId=

http://www.canondv.com/optura200mc/s.html
Neil Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2003, 08:12 PM   #142
Wrangler

(flame suit ON... again)

OK, don't cane me with bamboo poles but...
If you are serious about picture quality, why waste your money on a $1000 single chip camera, when for $200 more you can buy a used Canon GL1. 3-CCD, frame movie mode, and a host of manual control options!
If you are spending that much money, it's time to step up to the big leagues. You will be very, very happy.

Let me make another point, the people at whichever film school you choose will NOT judge your demo reel on the picture quality itself. They'll be looking at lighting, composition, editing, etc... They understand that students can't shoot everything on digiBeta.

SO my final advice... Buy whichever feels best in your hands. But if you plan on spending $1000, it shouldn't be hard to save an extra $200 to get a GL1. Plus you'll impress girls with it.

Also consider a used Optura Pi, which is supposed to be excellent, and you can find them used in the $500 range.

Oh yeah, and you if don't buy a Sony, you won't need to waste money on an extended warantee! Seriously.
Most of those aftermarket warrantees are rip-offs.
Dylan Couper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2003, 08:24 PM   #143
Warden

I'll second both Dylan's suggestion. The Optura Pi is the best 1 chip camcorder ever made in my opinion (now discontinued). GL1's are getting cheaper and would be a big improvement over most single chip cameras.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2003, 08:49 PM   #144
Wrangler

The more I think about it, the more I would save for a GL1. As Jeff says, prices are dropping every day as people snap up GL2's. I'd expect to pay $1100-1300 for one.
If the money is just not going to happen, Optura Pi's are worth around $550 used. Apparently their price is staying high since they are still fairly in demand. The sign of an excellent piece of technology.

Panasonic PV-DV852's are in the $1300 range, right? Nice camera though, but again you can get a GL1 for that. Same with an Optura 200mc. They are in the $1200 range I think.

Where to buy? If you go with a new camera, the sponsors of this forum have excellent reputations, plus you will be supporting the people that support us.
If you go with a used camera, I'd look through local Buy/Sell type classified papers. If you consider buying off Ebay, make sure you read this http://www.dvinfo.net/articles/buyersguide/ebay.php
Old January 17th, 2003, 09:14 PM   #145
Outer Circle

The PV-DV852 is around $1000 US at http://www.bhphotovideo.com

It also blows the doors off of the GL1, with video quality and built in sound. Sorry.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2003, 10:53 PM   #146
New Boot

Sorry, but I agree with frank on that. Seriously.

I dont know how possible it is for you, but a simple comparison of the GL1 and the DV852 will prove the DV852 to be better quality... even with its one chip.
Old January 17th, 2003, 11:18 PM   #147
Major Player

yea but.....

Like Dylan said......

Chicks dig Canon GL or XL series cameras <;~)
Old January 17th, 2003, 11:19 PM   #148
New Boot

The DV852 can look pretty damn cool itself with a few extras... ;)
Old January 18th, 2003, 12:17 AM   #149
Wrangler

<<<-- Originally posted by Frank Granovski : The PV-DV852 is around $1000 US at http://www.bhphotovideo.com

It also blows the doors off of the GL1, with video quality and built in sound. Sorry. -->>>

Frank
I must have got an unreasonably high price when I did a search earlier.
Do you have a link to a comparision site which shows it's features and picture quality head to head with a GL1? I've got nothing against Panny's, so if it is indeed a better camera, rock 'n roll!
Old January 18th, 2003, 12:29 AM   #150
Outer Circle

Mind you, I like the ergonomics of the GL1 too. (These 2 cams are both lean and long...you know what I mean? Both are cheek magnets!)

Tests show that the GL1 plays back 460 lines tops, with its 250K X 3 video effective CCD pixels. On a wave form monitor with the PV-DV852, 530 horizontal lines. Both cams have good color saturation, but the GL1 has a lot more noise. Concerning audio, you've got a great mic on the PV with great controls---for a consumer cam. GL1 audio? It's okay I guess. +_+

http://www.dvfreak.com/dah.gif
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion