The gigantic "which camera should I buy" thread! - Page 19 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old November 14th, 2003, 03:46 PM   #271
Outer Circle

See if you can still find the older JVC GR-DV3000 or Panasonic PV-DV852. They were both good and not bad with lower light.
Quote:
...nightclub parties, indoor and outdoor car shows...
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2003, 06:15 PM   #272
Tourist

Thanks, Frank. I tried to do some additional research on those two cameras.

From the reviews on CNET (not even sure if that's a good resource for camcorders), there are gripes about the JVC not being able to focus properly in auto mode (which is what I'd most likely be using most of the time) and the fact that it has no external mic input.

As for the Panasonic, I have yet to come across a bad review/comment about it (including here on DVi - you also seem to be a fan of it). Do you think major stores will still have them in stock? And what is the model that replaced the DV852 and is it any better?

Anyone have any firsthand experience with the following cameras?

Canon Optura Xi

Panasonic AG-DVC7

Sony DCR-TRV38/39

Sony DCR-TRV70/80

Thanks again for the help!
Tom Chang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2003, 07:48 PM   #273
Major Player

Tom.

I've heard nothing but good things about the Optura Xi. Its predecessor, the Optura Pi, was easily one of the best small-budget camcorders, and it looks like the Xi is following right in its footsteps. I hear it's awesome in low light.
Old November 15th, 2003, 01:24 AM   #274
Inner Circle

The TRV19/22 has better low light than the TRV33/38 if I remember correctly ("5 lux" versus "7 lux" say Sony). It's still not very in dark situations but it's about as good as it gets for a 1CCD cam.
It's pretty small but not quite as small as the PC- line of camcorders. Figure out how small is good enough for you and how important size is.

Gripes about the camera would be poor on-board mic (as with a large majority of cams- probably get an external mic instead like MKE300), false colors in some situations, and the LCD touch screen (not too practical to use while rolling tape, but most cams like decent manual control anyways). The LCD touch screen isn't an issue if you shoot full auto, which works quite well in 90% of situations. The resolution is not as good as higher end cams but I find the resolution really good anyways.

Frank's recommendations are probably good too- if you can find those cameras.

This site: http://babelfish.altavista.com/babel....html&lp=ja_en should give you a rough idea of how cameras stack up in good lighting and in low light. MX3000 = DV952. The 952 has better low light than the 953 is what Frank says.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2003, 05:13 AM   #275
Major Player

Do a site search on the Canon Xi. It got good initial impressions reviews, but I believe there's one person who bought it and is not happy with it for a variety of reasons, one of them being auto mode. (I'm thinking that recreational can often mean fast moving, when you want to just be able to switch on the cam and know you're going to get something decent.)
Patricia Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2003, 07:40 AM   #276
Outer Circle

Quote:
My price range is up to $1000 retail and the camera needs decent (if not good) low-light capability.
If you want a new model one chip cam with less lux requirements---there aren't any. That's why I suggested those 2 slightly older models. Another good one, and probably even better than the 2 I mentioned would be the Optura 100MC. It's a large "upright" with a big lens and a 1/3.6" CCD (as the DV3000). Now this gives you another model to look for. Sometimes you can find a sweet deal on a discontinued model. The trick is to pick a good one.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2003, 08:54 AM   #277
Tourist

Thanks everyone!

I'm going to go check out those cameras and see what suits me best.
Tom Chang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2003, 12:26 PM   #278
Major Player

Camera

For about a year I've been looking for a good DV camera. I've been in and out of so many forums I can't count. Including this one and DV.com. So I've finally just decided to post to get people's opinons. Ok, so I'm 16, and I am a serious videographer. I don't just video tape "jackass" stuff or the occassional event. I make short films to enter into contests and output on DVD. I've been using a Digital 8 camera for some time now and feel comfortable enough with filmmaking and cameras to upgrade to DV.
I'd personally say that I am intermediate to Pro on how to use cameras. I have worked with an XL1 on a commercial shoot before and liked it. My problem is this, I am a 16 year old. I don't have much money. I recently won a film festival and got 1k for winning. I want to get a high end DV camera. But I also want to build a P4 w/ HT for editing gaming and rendering. I use premiere. So my question is.....Should I buy a PV-DV953 and use Christmas money to build the computer, or put all the money into a camera such as the GL2. I will also be doing most of my film work under plenty of light, natural and artificial.

I am also applying for a summer film school. Would I "look ametur" with a PV-DV953? I will most likely continue my career with this.....any opinion will help. Thanks.
Riley Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2003, 12:30 PM   #279
Regular Crew

Iam 17 and i would personally go wiht the gl2. I just got a editn pc not to long ago i ordered a vx and got screwed so i got a gl2 for upcomg x mas. Get the gl2 i think it will be worth it
Joel Ruggiero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2003, 01:15 PM   #280
Major Player

Tough call if the money is slow. You will learn more about camera work with the GL2. If you're already able to edit and burn satisfactorily, why not properly upgrade the camcorder now?

Shawn Mielke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2003, 01:17 PM   #281
Regular Crew

Riley,

Your name rings me a bell...
Was your award for a short film given by a video magazine this year?
Anyway, moving up from D8, you'll gain control on white balance and better lenses, whether you choose a GL2 or a DV953.
It's not all about the equipement, you know, it has more to do with the talent you have.
Also, check the audio features on your nest cam.
Look for complete manual controls overall.
Old December 10th, 2003, 01:28 PM   #282
Major Player

I currently have the following:

Sony Digital 8
Sennheiser MKE300
Athlon XP 2400 w/ 512 DDR, 80 gig HD, Firewire, XP Pro - Main Edit
1ghz Duron w/ 512 DDR XP Pro - Render Node

I Figure I'll probably upgrade RAM and get a bigger Harddrive if I don't end up building the P4 w/ HT.

I made a short film on freedom called "Utopia" that won a contest in Oklahoma.

I figure I've probably got a good editing machine and mic. So I guess I just need some reassurance to get the GL2.

And not to sound cocky or anything, but I think I probably have the talent. B/C I was accepted to the summer film school last year as a sophmore but couldn't attend due to prior obligations. But I am making it a priority to go this year.
Old December 10th, 2003, 01:51 PM   #283
Contributor

If your'e going to film school, you may not need anything. They probably have cameras available for students to use.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2003, 02:09 PM   #284
Major Player

well its a summer one and its funded by the state education and private donors, its basically an art school, like they have poetry acting etc. and from what i understand they only have 3 sony handycams....who knows if they have 3 ccd's, plus i do alot of video work around town, like commercials, etc.
Old December 10th, 2003, 03:15 PM   #285
Contributor

If you're doing any commercials, then I'd say you need at least a 1/3" chip camera. Now that the VX2100 is out, it's a pretty good time to get a VX2000 at a very low price...probably about what the GL2 costs.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion