The gigantic "which camera should I buy" thread! - Page 16 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old July 27th, 2003, 10:04 PM   #226
New Boot

Need a new cheap camera canon dv

I have a ultura but would like to get one very similiar to it.That has mic input and headphone out, hotshoe for light ,at least 16 x zoom and firewire .Any close outs any where or anyone needing to get rid of one please give me a shout.

Contact me at sundogstudios@hotmail.com

Tony

What about the zr series any luck with those?
Tony Beazley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2003, 10:23 PM   #227
Outer Circle

Perhaps look for a used Optura PI and settle with 12X zoom. The Optura 100MC is even a better cam.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2003, 10:36 PM   #228
Obstreperous Rex

I think your best bet is the Canon Optura 20. It has a 16x optical zoom, a large 3.5" flip-out LCD, the hotshoe, and it's well under $1000. Most all DV camcorders have FireWire. Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2003, 02:29 AM   #229
Tourist

Maybe the same one will do ?

http://www.ezsystems.com/dcat.cgi?i=D173812251
(found this by googling)
O.
Pascal Petit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2003, 09:09 PM   #230
New Boot

Thanks for the info.I do have an ultura but the power supply is dead .Canon wants $120 but might as well put it towards a new cam.
I would like to stay with the 1/3 or 1/4 chip cams with mic in /headphone and lcd and hotshoe and 16x . I'm checking the Opturas now thanks guys!!!!

Tony B

Chris anyway to go back a couple of threads and take my email address off...forgot about those bots !!!!
Tony Beazley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2003, 10:34 PM   #231
New Boot

What is a good camera for indie film making?

I want to record a movie, and before i make it i would like to buy a new camera. Now i don't know a whole lot about camera shopping and i don't really know which cameras are meant for Photo Journalism and which are more for Filmmaking and things like that, so any suggestions would be good. I just want to film the movie, edit it in Adobe Premier, and then burn it onto a CD to play in my DVD player. Of course i want the best quality film possible.

the cameras i'm currently most interested in right now are:

JVC GY-DV500
DSR-PD150
AG-DVC80
JVC GR-HD1

I'd prefer to spend in between 1500 and 2500, but if going above and beyond would make a big difference, i'd be willing to put in the extra hours.
Rob Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2003, 11:35 PM   #232
Outer Circle

Those cams you have listed are well above $1500 US. I suggest a Panasonic PV-DV953, or the slightly higher priced Canon GL2---both with their pro's and con's.
Old August 6th, 2003, 12:12 AM   #233
Wrangler

Get a Panasonic DVX100. Great film look. Cost you $3500ish though. Otherwise a Canon GL2 is great for about $2300.

Of course, you'll need a tripod and mic, and boatteries, and.... add another $500 for extra gear minimum for whatever you buy.
Old August 7th, 2003, 10:00 PM   #234
Inner Circle

If you are going to burn it onto a CD in VCD or SVCD format then your quality will take a huge hit (especially VCD, which is blurrier than VHS but about the same quality). The Canon's frame mode (quasi-progressive; i.e. not interlaced) might be useful if you are encoding DVD/VCD/SVCD since it de-interlaces the footage for you (with better vertical resolution and less sensitivity and some other differences). De-interlacing allows for better compression and takes encoding time if you are working with interlaced footage.

Having a camera with accurate color reproduction would probably improve the quality of your videos. I think the VX2000 has the edge over the Canon GL2 (not sure). The VX2000 has better resolution and is more expensive. The Panasonic PV-DV953 has some gorgeous images, it just stinks in low light.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2003, 01:52 PM   #235
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Dylan Couper : Get a Panasonic DVX100. Great film look. Cost you $3500ish though. Otherwise a Canon GL2 is great for about $2300.

Of course, you'll need a tripod and mic, and boatteries, and.... add another $500 for extra gear minimum for whatever you buy. -->>>

While I agree that the DVX100 is a great camera for indie films (I own one myself), it needs a very careful hand and a lot of manual tweaking to produce a good image. I'm not sure what your experience level is with video equipment, Rob, but the DVX is certainly not beginner-friendly. The GL2 is, in this respect, much faster at producing a good image for the novice.

My advice is to visit the websites of the cameras you plan to purchase and see if they have the camera's manual available for download. Read them, and pick the one you think will be most comfortable for you in terms of using the controls on the camera. In any event, with good composition and lighting, you'll be impressed with the image of ANY of the cameras mentioned here.

Hope this helps!
Jaime Valles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2003, 07:09 PM   #236
New Boot

I really like the DVC80 because it seems very durable and will work well in low light situations and things like that. I don't really care a ton about progressive and 24p, I just want a 3CCD camera that will get high quality images and that will upload through firewire to Premier or Vegas, and eventually burn onto DVD.

So please warn me if i won't be able to do this with the DVC80 or if their is any reason i should not buy it, or give me some sort of positive/negative feedback if this is a good choice.
Rob Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2003, 07:36 PM   #237
Outer Circle

Rob, the DVC80 is a great cam, but there's nothing wrong with the GL2 and DV953. Certainly the bigger CCDs of the DVC80 is a bonus, giving you more "realistic footage," in my opinion. I say this because no matter how sharp footage can be, the footage from larger CCDs always look more real and fuller to me. But then again, this is only my 2 cents.
Old August 9th, 2003, 02:23 PM   #238
New Boot

Cheapest Mini Dv Camera?

IM looking for the cheapest minidv camera...period. I dont want to ruin my VX200 by using it as a deck, so i'd like to get a horrible, cheap, POS. Anyone have any ideas? sub $200 would be great...thanks
Chris
Chris Reinhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2003, 02:35 PM   #239
Obstreperous Rex

I'm not aware of any DV camcorder available for less than $400 new. Unless you're planning on winding tapes ten hours per day, seven days per week, you're NOT going to hurt your VX2000 in my opinion. Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2003, 07:17 PM   #240
New Boot

I mean, playing, and rewinding and all that has got to wear on the tape heads, right? I'd rather pay $300 for a cheap camera, than spend $500 fixing my vx-2000.....
Chris Reinhardt is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion