Misc. Open DV from 2005 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old March 22nd, 2005, 06:04 PM   #16
New Boot

trv 900 or panasonis pv-gs70

I currently have a panasonic pv-gs70 but have the opportunity to get a trv 900. I'm wondering if this is a good idea or if I should stick with panny. I've used a trv900 once but don't remember it well enough to make a decision. please any help would be greatly appreciated cause I need to make this deal soon. thank you

nick
Nick Tsigos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2005, 09:36 AM   #17
Tourist

JVC GR-D30 Firewire Solved !

Dear friends,

Iīm writing this message to tell you that my problem with firewire port was solved !
Well, my PC didnīt recognize the camcorder, but I noticed that this JVC GR-D30 has some incompatibility with some firewire cables (I tried 4 different cables). So I went to the store and bought a new one, and BINGO ! My PC recognized the cam ...
So, I want to tell you all to test your cam with a lot of cables before spend some money with another ones ...

BIG HUG,
Gabriel Brazil
Gabriel Brazil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2005, 11:40 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Acting workshops in T.O.??? Need Advice.

Hi,
Since this is an OpenDV section, i want to ask around for recommendations regarding good acting classes or workshops or programs in Toronto, ON/GTA

I am usually behind the scenes guy, but i want to learn acting to improve my speech and overall presentations. I know its kinda weird, but I just finished YorkU with Psychology degree and Marketing Certification on the way ...so I want to prepare for the real world of Marketing. Thus, talking with various VPs and Execs. they suggested that drama/acting classes significantly improve your presentations skills. I don't care about learning acting to get jobs/work in the movies, since i plan on working behind the camera during my other life and gelp em also understand how far i can push the actors.
Old May 9th, 2005, 12:27 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Achieving the best results?

If you were going to blow up DV to film, which camera would you use?

The XL2 or the DVX100?

I understand that the XL2 comes in native 16:9. But how much of a difference in resolution does that make?

Sure you can use different lenses for the XL2, but what if you were planning to buy the Micro35 adapter for 500 bucks?

Also, if I was using the Sony TRV-950 for Televised short film work, what would be the best program to achieve the film look. Magic Bullet? Vegas? etc... (this is after having the best lighting, actors, and script I could possibly muster)

Thanks in advance guys.
Trevor Trombley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2005, 08:42 PM   #20
Tourist

data code to JPG EXIF question

Using a Sony DCR TRV18E and have 30 hours of footage over 2.5 year period. Would like to capture still images from the footage and have the "data code" date/time stamp inserted into the JPG image as EXIF data ie "date picture taken".

When i try it now i always get _todays_ date in the JPG EXIF data, not the date that the film footage was taken. This is done by capturing the still photograph on the camera (while replaying old film).

Can anyone suggest software or equipment to overcome this problem? Can be Linux or Microsoft. Or perhaps point me to an approriate thread? Looking to extract around 1000 - 2000 stills so i don't mind if i have to spend some money. But you can see why i want the data code data to go into the EXIF given the volume of pictures and the fact that i really can't tell exactly when a lot of it was filmed (because there is so much!)

Will be using PERL scripts to sort my photos once i have the correct EXIF data in them. This is by creating folders for the day of the image was taken, and then putting the picture in there.

Alternatively I could write a PERL script to plug in the correct EXIF data but this means keeping a huge list when capturing the stills of what was filmed, and when.

Thanks Nick.
Nick Mooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2005, 03:02 PM   #21
Regular Crew

What do you think of the HDCAM HDW-730s?

Hi

What do you guys think of the HDCAM HDW-730s? Is it a good camera? Is it worth buying to use later on for projects to be convereted into 35mm for theatre display and for tele-serial production? And why is this camera cheaper than the rest in its family of HDCAMs?

If I'am going to buy a digital betacam then might as well get this HDCAM HDW-730 in the same price range as the digital betacam and I can use it in a variety of projects, right? Plus is there any loss in shooting on HDCAM and transfering the final project into digital betacam to be telecasted?

Thanks
Hamad Abdulla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2005, 11:04 AM   #22
Tourist

From the big screen to the two inch screen

Hi I am Stephen George, I am not sure where to place this question. I have a company that makes short films, I was wanting to find out about the different formats to produce those shorts so they will play on the new two inch screens for cell phones. This looks like an outlet for possibly recouping some money on short projects. Right now we shoot on digital and film. I'm not sure of the different styles needed to produce films for this market. I would appreciate any discussion.
Stephen George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2005, 09:09 AM   #23
Wrangler

Low-End DV Cameras Panny PV-GS9 v. Canon ZR-100

i recently purchased two open-box cheapie cameras, a panasonic PV-GS9 and a Canon ZR-100. i plan to send one to my nephew for his graduation present (he has all the makings of a video geek!) and i plan to use one as a deck and as a pocket model for making on-the-fly videos of my 4 yo daughter.

my priority for deciding which camera to keep and which to send is, that i want to keep the best possible deck for myself, to spare my high-end cameras. if my nephew gets seriously bit by the bug, i can get him a real camera later. i am pretty sure that he will be happy with receiving either camera.

any opinions/advice on which of these two inexpensive cameras has the most sturdy tape transport/vtr function/capture reliability?

i am guessing that image quality is roughly the same, unless someone knows otherwise....

thanks in advance....
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2005, 02:52 AM   #24
Wrangler

UK Broadcast Production Show

Probably a bit late for most UK people. But the Broadcast Production show trade exhibition is on at Earls Court Today (Wednesday 1st June) until Friday 3rd June.

This year being held at Earls Court, London.

http://www.broadcastproductionshow.com/

I'll be there Thursday and Friday...

Cheers,

Good things come to those who wait

My Skiing web www.Frostytour.co.uk

For quick answers Search dvinfo.net | The best in the business: dvinfo.net Sponsors
Ed Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2005, 06:31 AM   #25
Major Player

Which to buy?

Hey two questions for all you who are veterans here and have knowledge far beyond my own...I was thinking about buying an XL2 soon to start up a company filming weddings, corporate stuff, maybe shoot an indie film or two, but I wanted to know if it worth going up to the price range of like the JVC 5100U or whether I'll see much of an improvement or if it is neccesary for what I will be filming. Or whether I should wait for a (hopefully HD) XL3 as I am 19 and will be saving up for the next 4 months for everything I need anyway...

Second question...
I do video at my church and we currently use a decent robocam and a JVC GY-DV500U and we are looking to get a really nice primary camera to use to film services and use the 500U for stuff we would film outside the building. Budget is going to be around 30k but we can probably go a little over, I been looking at the new JVC's and a couple Sonys, but like I said I fairly new to pro level video ( I work at Best Buy, and I know alot more about the consumer/prosumer level models). Just wanted some opinions about any particular models/ lenses to look for...

Just to let you guys know the camera we'll be using needs to be good in low light, allow us to use colored stage lights without looking weird as we are running the live video through New Tek's VT4 and we need some good zoom, we currently use a 18:1 Fujinon with 2X extender. Thanks guys.
Noah Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2005, 12:02 AM   #26
Inner Circle

Anyone here for H.264 SD and HD(MPEG-4 Part 10)?

What's your opinion on H.264(MPEG-4 Part 10)?
The future of HDV? The future of web VOD? I'd really like to hear from you!
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2005, 09:05 PM   #27
Tourist

Making an action movie in New York?

If anyone's currently working on an action movie in New York...

I'm an aspiring filmmaker very interested in making action movies of all kinds, though especially martial arts ones, and would love to see how a more professional production is made (any production is more professional than the backyard videos I've been doing so far). I humbly request anyone willing to have me on the set let me know when and where filming will take place. I could do some miscellanious tasks on the set (i.e. errands, etc), or be an extra guy to get kicked around (13 years of Tae Kwon Do, 5 Kung Fu)/shot up a bit. I could also bring an extra Canon XL-2 to be used, as a token of appreciation. Yeah, I'm pretty much desparate to meet other filmmakers in the area and get more experience with people who take the craft more seriously, no matter the production values, talent, or any other variables. Thank you for your time.

Respectfully,
Michael Johnson
Michael Lee Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2005, 04:51 AM   #28
Regular Crew

stepdown convertors: where?

Hello all,

I am looking for a step down convertor from 77mm to 37mm, can someone please give me a few places of where i can get them.

Any help would be appreciated.

B.Sundry
Brendan Sundry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2005, 01:56 PM   #29
Major Player

Sony DSR-1 discontinued...

I noticed this at the Sony Pro site. This is weird, since they have no other DVCAM dockable VTR. Is Sony abandoning the dockable system altogether, at least in DVCAM? If so, then the DXC-D50 cameras are expected to be mated only with "higher-end" format VTRs, such as the DNV5.

They've already quit the 1/2"-CCD market, which wasn't altogether unexpected, since they never introduced a digital replacement for the DXC-327B. Here's an idea I had: what if they had introduced a 1/2"-CCD digital camera head as well as a D8 replacement for the EVV-9000, or maybe the latter alone? If the price was right, I should think there would've been a good market.

I don't think I'll ever understand Sony's marketing strategies. Maybe they want to push everyone to XDCAM...
Doug Boze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2005, 05:11 PM   #30
Major Player

Lens equivalency calculator?

I usually use the Panavision one, but it doesn't have 1/3" 16:9 CCDs as an option. I was curious to know what the 35mm film lens equivalency of the Fujinon Th13x3.5BRMU 1/3" lens is.
Doug Boze is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion