Misc. Open DV from 2005 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old January 1st, 2005, 12:14 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Misc. Open DV from 2005

Thanks and happy new year.

Has anyone shoot with the DV300U, JVC yet?

and if so....has anyone used the streaming kit?
How was it? can you post a report please before
I purchase.

Thanks!!!!
Tom
ONA Large Format Printing
Tom Aellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2005, 11:45 PM   #2
Major Player

Putting together productions to make $$

Hey guys....

I am an established video guy/editor... in Houston...

I would like to talk to other people about ideas to use all this great technology to make $$$

I do alot of stuff for the Web....

Anyone have any good leads for cable/satellite tv?

I just ordered the new Sony HDV cam... and would love to let anyone use it locally.... (HOUSTON)

Contact me at: resmedia at gmail dot com

Let's talk some $$$ ideas!
Brent Marks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2005, 11:16 PM   #3
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Another "homemade" production case option

I got tired of lugging around lots of little bags and wanted something tough, large, and that has wheels to carry around my equipment. Problem is, I didn't want to fork over several hundred dollars for what is essentially $30-worth of foam and plastic--so I started looking for other options.

I wound up buying the "Stanley Metal Rolling Workshop XL" and I'm really happy with it so far (Here's a picture of one). It's divided into three compartments:

The bottom is large enough to hold an XL1 with a 16x lens AND MA-100 attached. You have to remove the viewfinder...but I plan on making a foam "lid" to slide down on top of the camera to further secure it, and then put a cutout in the top of the "lid" to hold the viewfinder--all fitting snugly in the bottom compartment.

The middle compartment has a sliding drawer and then a group of small knick-knack drawers. I use these to hold batteries, my Sennheiser Evolution series stuff, etc.

And then the top portion looks like a toolbox--basically an empty box with a tray that fits on top.

The whole thing is made of sturdy plastic, with thin metal siding...and has a retractable handle and sturdy built-in wheels. It sounds heavy...but really it isn't. The price is $69 at Home Depot (the web site says $79, but I got mine at the store for $69).

I'm looking now for some black foam to make inserts in the bottom compartment (hard to find in this neck of the woods)... but other than that, it's ready to roll right out of the box. The biggest downside to it is that it's rather conspicuous. Shiny aluminum siding, with black and yellow plastic trimmings.

Just wanted to share this info. I probably wouldn't want to ship it or check it in as airport baggage, but it'll be great as a "throw-in-the-back-of-the-Blazer-and-go" case.
Old January 7th, 2005, 10:12 AM   #4
Major Player

More cool Palm applications for camerapeeps!

pCam and pCine, created by 1st Camera Assistant, David Eubanks are great tools to have.

They are both shareware and can be found at www.davideubank.com

Check out his resume, this boy's definitley got it together!

RB
Old January 13th, 2005, 02:03 PM   #5
Major Player

Accu-Rack: Is It Still Available?

I've been interested in the Accu-Rack product for assisting in doing rack focusing on ENG and Prosumer lenses, which has a website at www.rack-focus.com

Several attempts to contact this person via the phone number and email address posted on this website have resulted in nothing.

Was just curious if anyone either knew of this person and their product, if the product was still "real" and available (would hate to do an online purchase to someone who is "vaporware") or if they had any information on how to contact them?

Any help appreciated!!
email: ken.grohs@seattle.gov

I guess I'll just give up after a sufficient wait period.
Ken Grohs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2005, 05:20 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Live Mixing

I did a show last weekend and used a Videonics MXPro, (for the first time) but due to budget constraints, had to go to SVHS. Not very impressed! But then I didn't expect miracles. I really wasn't happy though with the MXPro. There was a definite lag time betwwen making a "Take" and having it happen. Having 249 transissions really doesn't interest me either. I really need to go DV in and DV out with a solid looking board and simple fades and dissolves are all that I want. I loved the color correction on the MXPro though. The MXPro DV just doesn't grab me and for over 2K. Why do I need over 700 transissions?

Anyway, what I'd like is a DV in DV out mixer and not at NBC studio prices and I'll solve the SVHS problem by trying the FS-4.

Any set up suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks
Rob Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2005, 10:03 AM   #7
Major Player

Soft Cases/Backpack Help or info Please

I just recently bought a GL-2, and love it. Now i got a big hard metal shell type case, which is excellent for keeping my camera safe, but when i start going out for car shows and such i am going to want something small and compact, pref soft bag.

Now someone told me about Lowepro backpacks, but when i visited the site, it seemed everything was for digital cameras?

HAs anyone ever used a lowepro bag, or can they steer me in the right direction for a small compact bag?

Thanks in Advance!
Old January 30th, 2005, 04:12 PM   #8
New Boot

Sony price trends

I have seen on some of the German price comparison sites, graphs that show the price life of items. (Introduction at ie1000, 3 months later at 950, 2 months later at 900 for example..) This does no good for US prices!

Has anyone noticed at actually tracked Sony prices in the US at the big retailers (BH, Adorama....)

I am curious where the FX1 and VX2100 are headed in the coming months. If the FX1 drops below 3k, it makes a very interesting item for me!

Any price trackers out there?? Thanks
Jack Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2005, 07:37 AM   #9
New Boot

SET SECRETS

Hi Community writers

I have some questions about "on set" productions, especially about sitcom productions. I`ve heard, on a sitcom set the stages are very small and compressed. Are these guys using wideangle lenses for shooting? How`s the size of such a stage like Monica`s room in "Friends"? It`s pretty difficult to find out informations about that.

Hope you can help me a bit

thx sandro
Sandro Kohler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2005, 05:10 AM   #10
Regular Crew

observations from the jackson trial.....

I spent most of last week at the MJ Circus and both fortunately and unfortunately will probably be spending the next five months or so watching the elephants, freaks and clowns dance back and forth in Santa Maria. ( I really should not complain as I can use the work)

One thing Ive noticed is that while strolling about and observing the hundreds and hundreds of press cameras here a few things stand out.

1) If HD is such a big deal? Why is it that broadcasters from around the planet are here and I havent seen at least one HD cam?

2) Beta is still king, and Beta SP is still the king of all

3) The DVX100 is runner up after the beta's. Its the most numerous of the many dv cams here. (Talking to a few shooters I want to throw up hearing the day rate they are getting as do most of the beta shooters)

4) DV has a wide acceptance, seems like almost everyone has a use for it.

5) I have not seen any PD-170s seems the 150 which is the close runner up to the DVX is still good enough and nobody sprung for the upgrade.

6) the VX-2000 is also popular

7) There are a few XLs so far Ive seen 2 XL2's and a few more than that XL1/xl1s seems broadcasters are not using them but those doing documentries are......

8) I have yet to see one GY-DV500 or 5000 they are as scarce as a HD Cam which means non existant.

9) The still photogs still have a better spot than anyone else :(

Just some things I have noticed, what else can I do in the hours he is in court but stroll the line....

M
Old March 7th, 2005, 03:39 PM   #11
Inner Circle

future: charge a Lithium ion battery in 6 minutes

http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn7081

-----------------------
Moderator note: It's fine to post links to stories on other sites, or short quotes, but for legal reasons we can't include the full text of an article from another website without their permission. I've made your link "clickable" to make it easier to read. -Boyd
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2005, 07:28 PM   #12
Regular Crew

sd dv hdv hd comparison chart?

Does anyone here have a link to a "sd-dv-hdv-hd" comparison chart where we can see the differences between these video formats?

Thank you very much
Old March 10th, 2005, 07:41 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Free hosting and the posibility of seeing your work on tv. Check this out.

So I thought everyone here might be interested in this. It's a website that is run in collaboration with the CBC (Canadian Broadcasting Corporation) caleld Zed. www.zed.cbc.ca is where you can sign up and get an account for free to host your videos. The best part is it's set up like a comunity and is open to anyone of any country. This means that your work can be seen by any of the members and you can see their's. Zed is an artists comunity made by artists for artists. To top it all off they have a show on CBC at 11:25 ET every night that showcases stuff from the site, so that little film you thought might just sit on your computer could get exposure to the Canadian CBC audience which is pretty large. I just thought everyone might like to know.
Alex T. Hurter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2005, 05:51 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Video conference, anyone ever gone?

I subscribe to videomaker magazine and they are offering a video conference in a city that would be easy for me to attend. Has anyone ever been to one? Do you think they are worth it? $109 is nothing for a day of learning as long as they really teach. The one in Clevland is May 14th and the one in Chicago is the 21st. Any feedback would be great.
Jason Gatti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2005, 12:56 AM   #15
Regular Crew

confused about mounting plates...

I want to mount my Audio Technica ATW-R100x receiver to my VX2100, but I'm confused about which camera mount to get. When I bought the receiver, one of their recommended purchases was a mounting plate that fit the U100...will that one work for me or will I need something else? Are there several mounting options? ie front-right, rear-right...or am I stuck with mounting the receiver to only one location?
Jeremy Rank is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion