Misc. Open DV from 2005 - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old August 16th, 2005, 09:02 AM   #46
Regular Crew

Matte Box mattes....

Hello everybody,

I hope this is in the right area. I have a question about matte boxes. Today, you can use filters in them. Originally, matte screens were used. My question is, can you still use "matte screens", or is it even practical to use? If I can use them, where would I obtain them? Thank you very much,

~Clint Grant~
Clint Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2005, 12:43 PM   #47
Trustee

Supercross: The Movie

I just saw the trailer for the soon to be released "Supercross". It looks like it was filmed in DV. Anybody know for sure?
Old August 17th, 2005, 04:59 PM   #48
Regular Crew

How can i use the "Sunset&Moon" AE-Program with AutoFocus enabled, in D8 cams?

My cam, does not have shutter speed controls, and the only way to lock the shutter to 1/60, is selecting sunset/moon i think. But the focus switches to manual mode when i do this.

Is there any way to lock the shutter to 1/60 and use the AutoFocus at the same time on digital8 camcorders?

I have a sony TRV-110.

Thanks in advance.
Roberto Lanczos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2005, 02:16 AM   #49
Regular Crew

virtual dub Chroma smoother (need help, please)

Hey guys,
I'm using Virtual dub to smooth my 4:1:1 color sampling (for greenscreen). However when I use the chroma smoother it makes my video kind of choppy, however it does smooth the chroma layer quite nicly, just if it was choppy. Any idea why its not working. Is there a fix? --using newest version.
Nathan Petersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2005, 06:53 AM   #50
Wrangler

Video search on Google / Yahoo!

They've added separate search pages just for videos on the internet. Google even has it's own video viewer.

http://video.google.com
http://video.search.yahoo.com
Michael Wisniewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2005, 10:39 AM   #51
Regular Crew

Lighting advice on upcoming 2 camera interview

I would like some lighting advice on an upcoming shoot interview I would like to shoot "60 minutes" style..

It will be shot in a hotel room with interviewer & interviewee face to face or slightly off center with camera one behind interviewer left shoulder to shoot interviewee and cam 2 setup to shoot interviewer.

I have a Lowel kit with the following:

Rifa-Lite (softbox)
Tota Light
Fren-I 650

I was thinking about softboxing the interviewee and spot (Fren-I 650) and fill (tota) the interviewer. Any thoughts on this or other ideas on how to light this?

Thanks for any help with this....
Old August 25th, 2005, 08:31 PM   #52
New Boot

On camers lighting

I am in the market for an on camera video light for my Sony PDX-10 and need some advice. While i was at the B&H website i saw the Bescore MPL-635 and was wondering if anyone thought this was a good light to buy?If anyone had thoughts on a different unit i would like to know as well. Post here or e-mail me off list at dcinema2134@yahoo.com .

Thanks
Matt
Matt Helme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2005, 12:44 PM   #53
Tourist

AMD X2 A8N-SLI PPRO capture Errors

A8N-SLI Premium mother board
AMD 4400 X2
Raid 0 2X 250 WD SATA II
program C Drive WD 250 Sata II
2 Gb Ram
PPRO 1.5.1

I have put together this computer and have found that everything works fine except the PPRO capture. When I try to manually or Batch capture (SD not HDV yet) I get errors. They are video recorder error or time line error. The tape has been striped. I am using a fire wire from my Sony FX1. When I use MS movie maker it captures fine. Also I tested the tape/capture on my P4 and it worked fine. I also had originally installed the wrong motherboard (A8V-e Deluxe ASUS) that did not recognise the X2 dual core. When I captured with that motherboard it worked perfect.
I have run out of ideas. Does anyone know if this has been a problem. It seems that the problem is with PPro since Movie maker works.
Dave Milton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2005, 12:19 AM   #54
Inner Circle

JVC introduces memory card video player

This is a very cool product, but it should really allow support fora USB storage device, such as a small hard, or an external hard drive/DVD drive.

http://www.tomshardware.com/hardnews...07_072100.html

JVC introduces memory card video player
By Akihabara News Japan
September 7, 2005 - 07:21 EST

JVC will release this TX-500 on the professional market. This device is a memory card reader with a 5-inch TFT screen that supports MPEG 1 and 2 videos (8 Mbps max) from SD and CF card... seems like the ideal tool for POS (Point Of Sale) enthusiasts.
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2005, 01:29 PM   #55
Major Player

Get two channels when copy AVI from disk to tape?

Hi there

I record usually, with two different audio settings (or sometimes even two different sources) in camera, which gives me two different channels.

If I copy from one camera to another, I think the two different channels are preserved.

But if I copy from disk to camera, does it do the same? Suppose I have two audio tracks in Premiere and use it to send the footage back to tape, does it keep both my channels seperate or does it mix it?

Does Scenalyzer or any other program?

I ask because I want to spread footage over several miniDV tapes onto one tape. In the past when I digitized the footage, with premiere it only takes the video with a mono audio clip. I'm going to get scenalyzer for stereo.
Ronald Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2005, 04:18 AM   #56
Tourist

Review about “The Independent Video Producer”

Dear Dylan Couper,

I have read your review in DVinfo.net about the book “The Independent Video Producer” by Bob Jacobs
Because I have the intention to start up my own video production company it seems that this book is very interesting for me to start with.

I am living in the Netherlands and my question is, where can I buy or order this book?

I hoop you can help me,

Thanks in advance,

Tonnie van der Heijden
Tonnie van der Heijden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2005, 07:31 AM   #57
Tourist

Broken Firewire socket / susbstitute camcorder

I have a SONY DCR-PC110E (PAL) Camcorder, that is about 4 years old. It works fine and I have had no problems with the filming part of the camera. I have had problems with the Firewire port though. The middle 2 pins in the socket have been pushed back on themselves by a dodgy cable, thus making data transfer to the PC impossible.

I called the Sony Repair centre and was quoted £177 (~$300) to fix it. This is a very large cost for something so trivial. So I thought why not just buy a cheap 2nd camcorder (for less) with DV out and upload from that.

My 1st question is can I upload footage shot on the SONY using a 2nd cheap and nasty camcorder without affecting the original quality? i.e. is the DV out purely for data transfer (no encoding)?

My 2nd question is about the 2nd camcorder. I have seen a cheapish JVC model on Ebay, that features 520 lines horizontal resolution. Is this different from my SONY camcorder. If so will it have an impact on my ability to transfer footage shot on the Sony onto the PC?

Thanks in advance.
Ste
Ste Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2005, 06:33 PM   #58
Regular Crew

Ancient miroDC codec files... any converter?

Hello all,

I was digging up a really old project of mine that was edited with a Pinnacle Systems miroDC (miroDV?) codec. DC30 Pro was the card I believe (with the breakout box).

The clips were all captured with the Pinnacle card and codec. They are of .avi extension.

I'm running OS X and Final Cut Pro so I'd like to get all the video files converted over and edit with FCP. I tried ffmpegx but it doesn't seem to like the files: converting the file yields a "finished!" bell after just a split second.

Interestingly, VLC Player can play the files!

Are there any converters for this old codec? I can't get to the original footage at the moment.

Any help is appreciated, thanks.
Old September 21st, 2005, 06:31 AM   #59
Trustee

How to check the multicoating of a lens?

Seems I heard a while back that you can get
some idea of how good the multicoating of a lens
is just by looking at it. Purple is the best?
The darker the better?
Any rules of thumb for checking how good the
multicoating is just by looking at the front
surface?
Dave Largent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2005, 07:27 PM   #60
Major Player

Help or possible job for someone

Here's what I have and propose. Shot a live jazz concert a while back. Used a Panasonic DVX100a for the most part for the wide shot, a Canon XL1s for closeups etc. and a Sony 1-ship camera, (not sure of the model). All 60i. The sound guy messed up my recording on the Panny but they did record the concert to CD which I'm using as the audio track cause the Panny tracks are blown out.
I also have a copy of the audio on a ProTools disc. Anyhow - here's the problem, the Panny runs consistent, much to my surprise a couple of friends running the other cameras, well, shut them on and off. This is a syncing nightmare (at least as far as making the concert interesting like a live DVD).
This is highly critical as the artist is out of Hollywood and plays with the likes of Billy Sheenan. The artists are critical of hand accuracy of which there is quite a bit of. A lot can be faked because we had no room in front of the stage that most camera angles are poor in my opinion anyhow, it was a last minute thing. Being jazz it's almost impossible to naturally feel where they are at and it's two hours long. My hope was to match up waves to intercut the footage but frankly I'm just not that good yet. Any input on how I could get this thing knocked out? I stand to lose money, reputation, and a good friend. Now the or - I am willing to consider hiring this out to someone well versed in a situation like this. If so, you'll get an enclosed 160gb hard drive
with Firewire interface including all the clips. In addition the original tapes and the CD soundtrack (which I personally think still stinks because the sound guys focused on the keys and sax and during a few vocal songs, well, the vocals took a back seat) and/or the ProTools disc. It also can be shortened a little bit if needed. Basic credits front and back and you can take honors for editing. Please help or contact me if interested in taking it on.

Thanks for your time.
Michael Best is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion